Whose sky is it anyway? U.S. drone case tests rights to air space

This is a very slippery sloppy slope. I've spoke to the FAA about this very scenario. As an operator you must be very carful and have several eyes (and cameras) on your aircraft when flying in close proximity of other persons private property. If this operator did overfly his neighbors yard without permission, it might as well be a clay pigeon free to be shot.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
You stated that you spoke to the FAA. Exactly what was their response? And with whom did you speak? I refuse to believe that anyone within the FAA would be okay with shooting down an aircraft (manned or unmanned)! Their only business is safety within the NAS. If you fly too close to a neighbor's house or directly over his family in the yard, FAA may consider it reckless, but that calls for a legal response, not assault!

You stated that you spoke to the FAA. Exactly what was their response? And with whom did you speak? I refuse to believe that anyone within the FAA would be okay with shooting down an aircraft (manned or unmanned)! Their only business is safety within the NAS. If you fly too close to a neighbor's house or directly over his family in the yard, FAA may consider it reckless, but that calls for a legal response, not assault!

What else can I say that can irritate a bunch of you. The conversation I had reflected the violation of privacy if there wasn't permission to overfly the neighbors property. As for shooting the AC down, that was me talking. It did happen in Kentucky though..

What you need to understand is this, It is the FAA that is on record as defining our so called toys, as being aircraft.
But so far they fail to prosecute those who interfere with the operation of them as is described by the law. They seem to only be interested in regulating them, collecting revenue and wasting more tax payer dollars.

That's my problem with the whole issue. I've been flying RC airplanes for over 14 years. Recently got a Phantom. The FAA is making us register the toys as "real" aircraft, and many of us have gotten our sUAS licenses to fly our toys for hire. They then tell us we can't fly higher than 400' AGL so now property owners are getting mad. The FAA also say they regulate the airspace to the ground level. As a landowner I get landowner rights but if the FAA says they can regulate airspace to the ground level then how can state and local governments interfere? State and local governments don't have the right to regulate airspace.

They can't have their cake and eat it too ie make us register them as real aircraft then not enforce aircraft destruction rules and let other "agencies" dictate their own rules in the NAS.

Either we are in the NAS flying real aircraft or we are not. With the current part 101 and 107 we are! If not, then take away the registration and rules.

That's my problem with the whole issue. I've been flying RC airplanes for over 14 years. Recently got a Phantom. The FAA is making us register the toys as "real" aircraft, and many of us have gotten our sUAS licenses to fly our toys for hire. They then tell us we can't fly higher than 400' AGL so now property owners are getting mad. The FAA also say they regulate the airspace to the ground level. As a landowner I get landowner rights but if the FAA says they can regulate airspace to the ground level then how can state and local governments interfere? State and local governments don't have the right to regulate airspace.

They can't have their cake and eat it too ie make us register them as real aircraft then not enforce aircraft destruction rules and let other "agencies" dictate their own rules in the NAS.

Either we are in the NAS flying real aircraft or we are not. With the current part 101 and 107 we are! If not, then take away the registration and rules.

So, let me understand this..... if I were a farmer and planted pecan trees I assume that I must get a FAA license or designate them as a hazard to aircraft. Don't forget to place your request for safe air space on July 4th unless all rockets sold in the USA self distruct on reaching 400ft AGL
These are the same people who would ban beds as more people die in bed than anywhere else..... shame that this country appears to have lost common sense, or responsibility for your own actions I must litigate the Drone company for not warning me that stopping the prop with my finger could result in loseing a finger....... give me a break

..... shame that this country appears to have lost common sense, or responsibility for your own actions I must litigate the Drone company for not warning me that stopping the prop with my finger could result in loseing a finger....... give me a break

It's been like that for quite some time. Remember the person who sued McDonald's after they spilled hot coffee on their lap. Or Preparation H having to put a warning on the tube "Do not take internally", etc. I'm sure we could all fill pages with simular stories.

If I wanted to spy on the neighbors I wouldn't use a noisy drone with a wide angle lens, I have a dSLR and telephoto lens that would do much better job.

I'm gonna reply to the toy comment first. If you make money with your drone, is it still considered a toy? I consider my drone a tool. Ever made money with toys?? Who here makes money with there tools!

Ok now state regulations. I have been pretty lucky in my state as there are no current state drone laws in Oregon. That being said, every state ordinance/law regarding drones must first be approved by the FAA. I know So Cal has a ton of ordinances from city to city...... Anyone ever asked those cities for their FAA approval?

In the mean time, I'll keep flying low over private property. 90% of my flying is at 100 feet over private property w/o permission.......

It's been like that for quite some time. Remember the person who sued McDonald's after they spilled hot coffee on their lap. Or Preparation H having to put a warning on the tube "Do not take internally", etc. I'm sure we could all fill pages with simular stories.

If I wanted to spy on the neighbors I wouldn't use a noisy drone with a wide angle lens, I have a dSLR and telephoto lens that would do much better job.

Believe it or not the whole idea of "spilling coffee for a million bucks" is a corporate lie by the McDonald's legal team

McDonald's sold coffee at 194 degrees Fahrenheit. Just below boiling. That was actually an old lady, whose son was driving. They were actually parked in a parking spot when it happened, she admitted to spilling it but she wanted McDonald's to cover her medical bills since she had 3rd degree burns over her legs and pelvic areas and due to her old age or nearly killed her.

McDonald's offered her like $80.

McDonald's had scalded tons of people before that and this lady had a good LAWYER who advised they sue for two days coffee sales.

So it was McDonald's fault for not owning up and paying her medical bills that she got a couple million.

They then went to slander her name after and purposely made up the idea that frivolous lawsuits were on the rise to deflect from the fact they had been serving coffee at ridiculously unsafe temperatures.

McDonald's sold coffee at 194 degrees Fahrenheit. Just below boiling....

That's the way coffee makers work, by boiling water. I know when I pour myself a cup in the morning that the coffee is hot. If I spill it on myself is it the coffee makers fault or mine.

That's the way coffee makers work, by boiling water. I know when I pour myself a cup in the morning that the coffee is hot. If I spill it on myself is it the coffee makers fault or mine.

It's one thing to boil coffee at first then keep it warm it's another to get it off the tap and give it to someone while near boiling. At work we put the free coffee in these thermos things with pumps on them. Keeps it warm all day.

No need to serve it just below boiling

I'm gonna reply to the toy comment first.

I used the word "toys" because in the past all my RC airplanes, helicoptors, etc were just that, toys. Now the FAA wants those toys registered as if they were "real" airplanes. I do hope to make money with the P3P I recently bought so yes, that will be a tool just like all the tools I have used working on real airplanes and building experimental airplanes as an A&P mechanic. The FAA is requiring toys to be registered if you want to fly outside. Where does the craziness end?

I always stop my phantom by sticking my finger in the spinning blades, you can tell immediately how good the batteries are by how deep the cuts are.......

Reactions: Casper`s P4
I always stop my phantom by sticking my finger in the spinning blades, you can tell immediately how good the batteries are by how deep the cuts are.......
I always test my props by trimming the top branches of trees.
They are pretty durable! :p

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj