Who will register their Phantom with the FAA?

So will you Register your bird with the FAA?

• Yes, voluntarily

• Yes if forced to by law

• No, I ain't getting on that government list

Results are only viewable after voting.
I am kind of thinking it could add some legitimacy to law abiding fliers. Probably should go so far as to adding ID codes to the nav lights or add-on ID code strobes. No code, you get the guns. LOL

View attachment 33853
Looks a lot more menacing than it is. Jamming is actually quite difficult and un-reliable. Plus, even if your local authorities could afford this "military-priced" zapper (and it worked), the Phantom would just return to home.

Reactions: Cerone
For all practical purposes, myself and anybody who’s a member of AMA and follows association guidelines has been registered for a while.

My bird flies with AMA # clearly labelled on several components so it’s not hard to find me if I lose track of it.

However, I won't voluntarily register with money/power-hungry government agencies until there’s a law and/or compelling rule requiring me to do so.

With these unenforceable registrations, etc.... flying might actually turn out to be easier with the general public. All we've gotta do now is say (and show them) yep, I'm registered... look at my papers... at that point, they'll have to move on.

Bring on registration... I'm all for it!!!

Sounds familiar....creepy...
[Moderator edit: inappropriate and offensive reference to the holocaust decisively removed]

Last edited by a moderator:
For all practical purposes, myself and anybody who’s a member of AMA and follows association guidelines has been registered for a while.

My bird flies with AMA # clearly labelled on several components so it’s not hard to find me if I lose track of it.

However, I won't voluntarily register with money/power-hungry government agencies until there’s a law and/or compelling rule requiring me to do so.

LMFAO! That is funny! Thanks Ti22.

AMA membership is $75

FAA Registration $5 (oh hell NO!)

lol

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Sounds familiar....creepy...
[Moderator edit: inappropriate and offensive reference to the holocaust decisively removed]

Totally inappropriate. On so many levels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your "opinion".
Only people who put all their faith, trust and adoration in big government would say so.

The wording does indeed sound the same. Like it or not. Fact.

Unfortunately, because of the way this nation is going, I will probably be censored while you are free to continue your support of said government direction...which further supports my point.

Last edited:
Totally inappropriate. On so many levels.

+1,000. Seriously. And it's a completely illogical comparison. There is nothing remotely similar. @JDKSensai, your comparison IS inappropriate and offensive. I'm going to ask you to reconsider your post or I will simply remove it. Your choice.

EDIT: I have removed the offensive material as JDKSensai did not choose to do so himself. He has been given some time from this thread to consider why his post was entirely inappropriate. He can call it censorship if he likes. And it is. But this site does not entitle you to say whatever you want. You have to abide by the community guidelines which means casually comparing the registering of a toy with genocide does not fly around here.

Last edited:
+1,000. Seriously. And it's a completely illogical comparison. There is nothing remotely similar. @JDKSensai, your comparison IS inappropriate and offensive. I'm going to ask you to reconsider your post or I will simply remove it. Your choice.
+1

Your "opinion".
Only people who put all their faith, trust and adoration in big government would say so.

The wording does indeed sound the same. Like it or not. Fact.

Unfortunately, because of the way this nation is going, I will probably be censored while you are free to continue your support of said government direction...which further supports my point.

I was going to comment but was kind of at a loss for words. The dichotomy that exists in this country is epic.

We've hit the Internet wall full force, someone brought up Nazis.

I'm not sure which reality some people live in, because this is the way things work. This is the way things have worked throughout history, and will continue to work long after we've consumed ourselves right back into the Stone Age.

Urg find stick. Urg use stick right way! Hit animal to kill for food. Hit bad animal so it leave me alone. Everyone see stick and want one too! But some use stick to hit others. Now chief say only hunters get stick, chief hit anyone over head with his big stick if they use stick wrong. Urg unhappy that chief tell him how to use stick.

And so it goes...

Get over yourselves. With all the publicized idiocy by some drone owners this is the inevitable outcome. Personally I'm not registering until the law requires it, but I also operate my drone responsibly and have always done so. I'm no fan of regs, but I'm not going to uselessly bring up Nazis and Big Brother threats because I understand reality.

Reactions: GoodnNuff and bbfpv
Those for big government will never agree with those of us against big government.

Those who think the government owes them their free obami phone and free gasoline (the new age entitlement believers) will never understand those of us who believe you don't get it unless you earn it yourself, rather than taking it free from someone else's hard labor and tax payments.

Those who believe guns are bad and think it is time to throw out the 2nd amendment will never understand us who don't agree.

I think I can summarize this whole 5 pages down to those who:

1) love big government so much they want to voluntarily register their quads before even being required, and will.
2) are so scared of big government coming to get them, that they will not argue the requirement for registration at this time before it happens - they too will register, but will wait until the day before it becomes official.
3) know there is already way too much government regulation, will argue the need for this nonsense, and see no point in yet more regulation that will make zero difference at the end of the day, yet being law abiding citizens, will register on the last day possible.
4) the good guys who will not register on principle of it and do not cause issues.
5) the bad guys who would never register a drone or a gun anyway since they are bad guys, do the 1000' flying, fly over crowds and stadiums, chase manned aircraft, fly at airports, and will not register.

I do not think any amount of arguing here will change which group you are in, and which you will remain in, so this whole thread is pointless. Only thing it appears to be accomplishing is making some folks enemies of each other here, fellow law abiding phantom flyers, all depending on your political leaning.

Reactions: Gary E
Only thing it appears to be accomplishing is making some folks enemies of each other here, fellow law abiding phantom flyers, all depending on your political leaning.

A good reason to leave your political leanings and assumed assessments of other's political leanings out of forum posts, no?

You've numerated your summary into 5 bullet points, none of which include "Being Responsible."

You've numerated your summary into 5 bullet points, none of which include "Being Responsible."

Interesting you read #1 thru 4 as not "Being Responsible." Guess people see what they want to see and ignore the facts.... so be it.

I started this thread with the intent of find out how Phantom pilots that frequent this site felt about the responsibilities associated with being a pilot. These things are after all simply toys, right?

Personally I enjoy reading about everyone's philosophical approach in life, it is one of many things that makes this world such an interesting place to live. After all the question evoked responses from people about issues that go far beyond registering your drone.

I honestly think we all can have differences about our approaches in life and yet still come together as a community with something in common regardless of the differences.

Interesting how the fact that accepting the progression of regulation instantly makes one in favor of big guv'mint, terrified of it, but being resistant makes one some kind of good guy.

There's no heroes here for resisting. This isn't the second amendment. There is no constitutional right to bear drones, so leave guns out of it. People seem to live in an alternate reality where the rules we live by are stagnant or, worse, subject to personal interpretation. Sorry. It doesn't work like that. It's full circle back to some joker ignoring or interpreting the rules as they see fit that caused this mess in the first place. People can't seem to make the association that this attitude caused the problem. It's certainly not part of the solution, and it's futile.

I don't suppose there's much point in pursuing this tangent, those that dig their heels in like mules aren't going to change their minds.

Chuck - one thing struck me about your last statement. "...responsibilities associated with being a pilot." That's an interesting perspective. I wish that word wouldn't be associated with drones. It should be "operator". I can honestly say that what happens with personal drones would never happen in "real" aviation. The FAA would be suspending certificates and handing out violations like candy. "Pilots" are accountable for their actions. Some here seek to avoid accountability and responsibility. That's not what a pilot does.

Interesting how the fact that accepting the progression of regulation instantly makes one in favor of big guv'mint, terrified of it, but being resistant makes one some kind of good guy.

There's no heroes here for resisting. This isn't the second amendment. There is no constitutional right to bear drones, so leave guns out of it. People seem to live in an alternate reality where the rules we live by are stagnant or, worse, subject to personal interpretation. Sorry. It doesn't work like that. It's full circle back to some joker ignoring or interpreting the rules as they see fit that caused this mess in the first place. People can't seem to make the association that this attitude caused the problem. It's certainly not part of the solution, and it's futile.

I don't suppose there's much point in pursuing this tangent, those that dig their heels in like mules aren't going to change their minds.

Chuck - one thing struck me about your last statement. "...responsibilities associated with being a pilot." That's an interesting perspective. I wish that word wouldn't be associated with drones. It should be "operator". I can honestly say that what happens with personal drones would never happen in "real" aviation. The FAA would be suspending certificates and handing out violations like candy. "Pilots" are accountable for their actions. Some here seek to avoid accountability and responsibility. That's not what a pilot does.
I believe some pilot their drones, and some operate them. There is a difference IMO.

Those who think the government owes them their free obami phone and free gasoline (the new age entitlement believers) will never understand those of us who believe you don't get it unless you earn it yourself, rather than taking it free from someone else's hard labor and tax payments.

Rubbish. You're conflating totally unrelated concepts. I don't believe in big gov't or the entitlement generation but I do believe drone registration is the logical next step. And unlike some, I don't believe that any gov't activity is bad activity. I also don't subscribe to the paranoia of registration as a prelude to confiscation or as a pretext to monitor the masses. Guess I don't fit into either of your two camps.

Last edited:

I agree with you about the use of "pilot" it is not really applicable to drones. I spent 4 years in the Navy working on "Top Gun" aircraft, our pilots were undeniably the best pilots on this planet. After getting a bachelors of science I went to work on F-16s and A-10s at Hill AFB in Utah. I worked depot level maintenance as an electrician and disassembled the airplanes down to the simple naked air-frame and re-assembled the planes from scratch, it was amazing. After re assembly the first flight was performed by a test pilot, balls the size of the moon, never figured out how they fit those things into an F-16 cockpit. On takeoff roll they would get about 20 feet off the deck at full after-burner and at about 8000-10,000 on the roll-out pull the stick back and level the plane out at 10,000 feet AGL before they reached the end of the runway. Never ever got tired of watching post-maintenance test-flight takeoffs. Quad operators, as you say, are nothing like the pilots I am familiar with. But this site is called .... you know.

I agree with you about the use of "pilot" it is not really applicable to drones. I spent 4 years in the Navy working on "Top Gun" aircraft, our pilots were undeniably the best pilots on this planet. After getting a bachelors of science I went to work on F-16s and A-10s at Hill AFB in Utah. I worked depot level maintenance as an electrician and disassembled the airplanes down to the simple naked air-frame and re-assembled the planes from scratch, it was amazing. After re assembly the first flight was performed by a test pilot, balls the size of the moon, never figured out how they fit those things into an F-16 cockpit. On takeoff roll they would get about 20 feet off the deck at full after-burner and at about 8000-10,000 on the roll-out pull the stick back and level the plane out at 10,000 feet AGL before they reached the end of the runway. Never ever got tired of watching post-maintenance test-flight takeoffs. Quad operators, as you say, are nothing like the pilots I am familiar with. But this site is called .... you know.
I see it more like if I am a Jet mechanic - the guy working for Schwinn repairing bicycles better not call himself a "mechanic" since his job and knowledge can't compare to what I do.
Or the surgeon who takes offense that the potter with a pHD in fine arts is addressed as "Doctor" by his colleagues.
I like the fact that words have multiple meanings, and I like to use simple words that readily convey what I want to express.
For that reason I will continue to call myself a pilot when I pilot my aircraft. It is a correct use of the word, and has nothing to do with my ego or lack thereof. I will also continue to call my quadcopters drones, because that is what they are.
You are also free to call yourself whatever you choose when you fly. I won't be offended by your choice of words! :)

I see it more like if I am a Jet mechanic - the guy working for Schwinn repairing bicycles better not call himself a "mechanic" since his job and knowledge can't compare to what I do.
Or the surgeon who takes offense that the potter with a pHD in fine arts is addressed as "Doctor" by his colleagues.
I like the fact that words have multiple meanings, and I like to use simple words that readily convey what I want to express.
For that reason I will continue to call myself a pilot when I pilot my aircraft. It is a correct use of the word, and has nothing to do with my ego or lack thereof. I will also continue to call my quadcopters drones, because that is what they are.
You are also free to call yourself whatever you choose when you fly. I won't be offended by your choice of words! :)

I understand totally. I am currently a Communication and Instrumentation Mechanic. I said: "Really a mechanic? I am called a mechanic?" Then they told me how much I will be getting paid and I said: "Well OK then"

:cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4