While We Wait: Sony RX100 4K video footage

Reaction score
Check out this gorgeous (considering sensor size & price) footage from the Sony RX100, which should quite well represent the quality of the P4P.

Nighttime:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Daytime:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The difference from the P4/P3P is ridiculous. This kind of image quality is what those users should have expected, considering the choice of words in P3P advertising with "pro" and all that gibberish. Absolutely usable for professional material (unless high-budget projects), just have to avoid props in frame and have required knowledge for postprocessing with editing and grading.

While the sensor is the same in these two cameras I wouldn't hold my breath for getting this type of footage from the P4P for a couple of reasons.

The P4P does not have the lens/zoom/aperture of the rx100. This is a big factor for low light photos and video, I believe the rx100 has a constant f1.8 lens.

Also, Sony has perfected the algorithm to maximize the ability of the sensor over 5 generations of rx100 cameras.

That's not to say we won't get greatly improved image quality, I ordered mine the day it was released, and I'm super excited about it. Just don't expect rx100 quality footage.

Last edited:
I've always been with impressed with the rx100 since they came out, can't wait to see them in action with the p4p!

While the sensor is the same in these two cameras I wouldn't hold my breath for getting this type of footage from the P4P for a couple of reasons.

The P4P does not have the lens/zoom/aperture of the rx100. This is a big factor for low light photos and video, I believe the rx100 has a constant f1.8 lens.

Also, Sony has perfected the algorithm to maximize the ability of the sensor over 5 generations of rx100 cameras.

That's not to say we won't get greatly improved image quality, I ordered mine the day it was released, and I'm super excited about it. Just don't expect rx100 quality footage.
Valid points about lens and aperture. The videos I linked are from Mark 4, not the latest mark 5. We should not assume the Phantom is getting a five year old sensor. While not being an RS Exmor, it should be a new R.
I also hope the P4P lens is a good one, it should be as it's also used in the X4S from what I gather.

I certainly have high hopes for this. I've seen raw h265 footage from a none profile which certainly looked great, but it was just a short clip from a reviewers yard.

Valid points about lens and aperture. The videos I linked are from Mark 4, not the latest mark 5. We should not assume the Phantom is getting a five year old sensor. While not being an RS Exmor, it should be a new R.
I also hope the P4P lens is a good one, it should be as it's also used in the X4S from what I gather.

I certainly have high hopes for this. I've seen raw h265 footage from a none profile which certainly looked great, but it was just a short clip from a reviewers yard.

I'd love to see that 1.8 lens on the phantom 5! I haven't heard much about the lens in the P4P, I can't find much about it anywhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic