What should I do next?

I did walk about 200 feet away from everything, out into a last years corn field, still had the compass calibration fail, always WITH THE BIRD POINTING DOWN AND BEING TURNED IN A CIRCLE! That is telling me something, I just don't have a clue as to what, but that is always where I get the "Electromagnetic Interference" error and the two lights go RED!

George - I did some more searches and reading on your issue and came across this.........

The GPS module has a built-in magnetic field sensor for measuring the geomagnetic field, which is not the same in different areas. The GPS module will not work unless the Compass Module has been connected. Make sure to the Compass Module connections are correct.

Please always keep the compass module away from the magnet. Once this situation occurs, please change the compass module in time. Otherwise it may damage the compass module and lead the aircraft to work abnormally or even be out of control.

Calibrate the compass before the first flight or when flying in a different area. Make sure to keep away from ferromagnetic substance and other electronic equipment when calibration and flying. If you keep having calibration failure, it might suggest that there is magnetic interference or other ferromagnetic substance, please avoid flying in this area.

As stated before - I am new at this hobby and not technical at all as to the inner workings of these units - so no idea if the above is of any help! Going into a "corn field" to try your calibration - a long shot - but what if there is enough metal/magnetic (ferromagnetic) properties from fertilizing over the years that could potentially have an effect when calibrating (wild guess). Then again you did have this issue when you were not in the field!

The 1st part of his calibration works, it's the second half of the calibration that fails, possibly due to the orientation of the P3.

I tried the OP's initial procedure tonight with my P3A, and starting the P3 indoors and moving outdoors to calibrate did NOT
cause the calibration to fail, and the P3 flew (briefly and low to the ground) without incident. Though I don't recommend
that procedure, it doesn't seem to be an issue... I power everything up where I plan to calibrate and fly.

Compass is a very important part of the P3. Flyaways are possible with a faulty compass. Rather than tempt fate,
contact DJI with "Compass will not calibrate when pointing front towards ground", and take it from there. They might have
a solution, they might have to fix it.... either way, better safe than sorry.

New I did walk about 200 feet away from everything, out into a last years corn field, still had the compass calibration fail, always WITH THE BIRD POINTING DOWN AND BEING TURNED IN A CIRCLE! That is telling me something, I just don't have a clue as to what, but that is always where I get the "Electromagnetic Interference" error and the two lights go RED!

Hi George.....i had the exact same problem with my P2V+ a month or so ago after updated the firmware. previously had calibrated loads of times but this time got the greens on the Horizontal spin and the reds on the vertical.....thinking my partner wasnt doing it right (I'm in a wheelchair) we did it again, same result. turned out to be the new fitness tracker on her wrist which she had just got was the problem. took that off and it was fine, calibrated no problem. incidently later that day when she was hand catching it, it bought up an error saying the compass need cal, once placed away from her and the fitness tracker it went away. May be your problem if you have one. no more wearing the tracker when we go flying.

I had same issue wearing a pair of winter gloves that allowed the thumb and index finger to peel back. Has small magnets in there to hold the tips back. I must have tried to calibrate 20 times.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

The 1st part of his calibration works, it's the second half of the calibration that fails, possibly due to the orientation of the P3.

I tried the OP's initial procedure tonight with my P3A, and starting the P3 indoors and moving outdoors to calibrate did NOT
cause the calibration to fail, and the P3 flew (briefly and low to the ground) without incident. Though I don't recommend
that procedure, it doesn't seem to be an issue... I power everything up where I plan to calibrate and fly.

Compass is a very important part of the P3. Flyaways are possible with a faulty compass. Rather than tempt fate,
contact DJI with "Compass will not calibrate when pointing front towards ground", and take it from there. They might have
a solution, they might have to fix it.... either way, better safe than sorry.
I have contacted DJI and am awaiting an RMA from them, as we speak.
Thanks for the test of indoor start and outdoor fly, appreciated.
GR

New I did walk about 200 feet away from everything, out into a last years corn field, still had the compass calibration fail, always WITH THE BIRD POINTING DOWN AND BEING TURNED IN A CIRCLE! That is telling me something, I just don't have a clue as to what, but that is always where I get the "Electromagnetic Interference" error and the two lights go RED!

Hi George.....i had the exact same problem with my P2V+ a month or so ago after updated the firmware. previously had calibrated loads of times but this time got the greens on the Horizontal spin and the reds on the vertical.....thinking my partner wasnt doing it right (I'm in a wheelchair) we did it again, same result. turned out to be the new fitness tracker on her wrist which she had just got was the problem. took that off and it was fine, calibrated no problem. incidently later that day when she was hand catching it, it bought up an error saying the compass need cal, once placed away from her and the fitness tracker it went away. May be your problem if you have one. no more wearing the tracker when we go flying.
Interesting story about the fitness tracker.
My last test well away from everything, at about 200 ft from anything, I had everything back in the house. My watch, my phone, and even my wallet just in case it was being caused by my credit cards. And no metal belt buckle either.
Have contacted DJI and am awaiting an RMA for service and checkout.
Thanks for your comments
GR

Yesterday my P3P came back from the CA DJI Service Department. Was about 12 days, from the time I got the prepaid label and shipped it, until I got it back. Went through all the settings and took it out to the front yard for Compass Calibration. Worked perfectly the first time! So what ever was causing the "Electromagnetic Interference" message was certainly repaired by DJI. Sat the bird out in the garage, where it is about 30 degrees F, for about an hour. Brought it in to the kitchen counter and did the IMU Calibration. Finished in about 10 minutes. As I also had cracks at the motor mounts, I looked at what they had done carefully. Both the upper and lower shells were changed out. The gold labels were not on the top shell, but a full set of labels was included in the package, when shipped back to me.

So now the real test! Took it out to the back yard and went through the startup procedure. All good on my check list. (Highly recommend that you print it out and laminate it with clear plastic, and always use it) Started the bird, pushed up on the throttle and up it went. Let it hover at about 6 feet for a minute, tried all the directional controls, everything perfect. Had winds gusting to 11 mph, by my wind speed indicator, and it just sat there in a perfect hover, no drifting, just a bit of a tilt to compensate for the wind from time to time. Took it up and out for a nice flight, only a couple of hundred feet away, and it was flew perfect. Later in the day took it up again for some sunset pictures and again it worked perfectly.

Last evening I even put the gold stickers back on the bird! Just like a brand new one again!

I am so pleased with the service from DJI, they did a great job and did it quickly. Full warranty coverage and they paid the FedEx shipping both ways. You cannot beat that for service! Sure is the place to send your bird if you need service here in the U.S.

A big thanks to all who responded to my original post. Your suggestions and comments were greatly appreciated.

Reactions: TheLightSpeedz
Great news George and happy for you as to getting it back so quickly and repaired! Many thanks for the follow-up post.

Too bad you don't know what may have caused the issue to begin with. I wonder if it was perhaps a problem with "Lightbridge" as to communication with the Phantom from the RC?

Always good to find out the root cause as to any specific failure - replacing/repairing a product is the easy part - identifying the "cause" of any failure is always good to know.

Best of luck with your future flights!

Had winds gusting to 11 mph, by my wind speed indicator, and it just sat there in a perfect hover, no drifting, just a bit of a tilt to compensate for the wind from time to time.

You mention the wind speed indicator, is that in the Go app, or how do you check wind speed?

Just a guess ...
Personal weather station as George seems to be a farmer or a pilot, or a combination of either.

You can also get 'calculated windspeed' from HealthyDrones.com when you upload your flight data.
I do not find their calculations very accurate, but it is there.

You mention the wind speed indicator, is that in the Go app, or how do you check wind speed?

I have a WX Station in my house, it sets on my desk, has the Anemometer up on my TV Antenna mast. Is a ACU RITE from TSC, about $50 and all wireless. Really works well.

Reactions: marzipana
Just a guess ...
Personal weather station as George seems to be a farmer or a pilot, or a combination of either.
Great guess! I am a pilot, and live on a small farm, but was never a Farmer. Am a retired Plant Supervisor.

You can also get 'calculated windspeed' from HealthyDrones.com when you upload your flight data.
I do not find their calculations very accurate, but it is there.

I don't trust their wind data at all...I uploaded a log on a day that really wasn't terribly windy, and the result was 150 mph winds!

Great guess! I am a pilot, and live on a small farm, but was never a Farmer. Am a retired Plant Supervisor.
Wow... that's a boring job... watching plants... it explains the small farm though! :D

I don't trust their wind data at all...I uploaded a log on a day that really wasn't terribly windy, and the result was 150 mph winds!

Hence the 'I do not find their calculations very accurate'.... I checkout www.uavforecast.com for a better idea on windspeed. Not 100% accurate either,
but you can set altitudes to get an idea of how winds are aloft.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20