What deliverables are you giving your client?

Reaction score
I've been a surveyor for about 15 years now and over the last year I've been doing aerial surveys with a p4p and photoscan. My deliverables include:

An .las point cloud
Georeferanced orthophoto
A flythrough with my model inserted into Google Earth
And a photoscan error report

I'm interested in hearing if anyone is giving their client anything different?

Definitely the Georeferenced Orthomosaic, since that is the product I mostly promote. Then depending on their needs, sometimes I'll provide the Pix4D project files along with the original images. Also contour files in .dwg or .shp format, which have been produced from a very clean point cloud. And often the .kml files for GoogleEarth (which I think are useful for planning ground survey activities). I am experimenting with Pix4D's cloud and sharing app, to see if it would be useful. And of course I will gladly provide the Quality Report if the client is interested in it.

Do you know what software your clients are using to make use of the LAS file and are they using it effectively? Also, your "flythrough" in GoogleEarth, is it the 3D model, or just the orthomosaic?

Definitely the Georeferenced Orthomosaic, since that is the product I mostly promote. Then depending on their needs, sometimes I'll provide the Pix4D project files along with the original images. Also contour files in .dwg or .shp format, which have been produced from a very clean point cloud. And often the .kml files for GoogleEarth (which I think are useful for planning ground survey activities). I am experimenting with Pix4D's cloud and sharing app, to see if it would be useful. And of course I will gladly provide the Quality Report if the client is interested in it.

Do you know what software your clients are using to make use of the LAS file and are they using it effectively? Also, your "flythrough" in GoogleEarth, is it the 3D model, or just the orthomosaic?

Civil 3d for the .las for surface creation
And I put my model in Google Earth, and the Ortho as well.

We provide a surface that we created from contour lines generated at 0.25' interval. This is much faster than using the las. Recently we have found a firm that will create MRSID files from the ortho photos. The MRSID files load much faster and allow a dramatically larger image to be inserted in Civil3D. The only software that creates MRSID is from Lizardtech and is prohibitively expensive for our shop.

Reactions: Bigriver
Funny that you mention that. I just spoke with Lizardtech earlier today, after downloading and testing the software a couple weeks ago. I expressed to them that the cost (about $3000) would prohibit me from buying a license at this time. That license also had a limit of like 100 GB processed, then packets of more data could be purchased later. (Not to mention an annual support fee) thereafter.

Good news is that the sales person at LizardTech said that they were investigating alternative methods of providing usage of the compression utility, like on a per-project basis. Depending on cost, that may be a good option for us.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1