Well, she's gone....

+1 nothing to do with naza mode , naza mode is the norm on all the nazas.. Actually you have more features to help you out if you get in trouble.

Mori55 said:
+1 nothing to do with naza mode , naza mode is the norm on all the nazas.. Actually you have more features to help you out if you get in trouble.

Anyways..
Here is a thought.. progressively:
Learn Phantom (GPS assisted)
Learn NAZA (GPS assisted)
Learn Manual (No GPS)

If you look at the toggle S1 and S2 switches and NAZA mode with Failsafe option:

Left Toggle:
IOC - OFF - uses NAZA to stabilize
IOC - COURSE LOCK - uses NAZA
IOC - HOME LOCK - uses NAZA

Right Toggle:
GPS - GPS - uses NAZA
GPS - ATTI - uses NAZA
GPS - Failsafe - uses NAZA (change this to MANUAL - no NAZA)

I firmly believe that (when you are competent) manual mode will most likely save your Phantom if it decides to have a brain of its own.

gmbn.inc said:
**UPDATE**

Received a phone call from a guy who's dog was barking at something in his back yard, when he went to investigate he couldn't see what the dog was barking at, eventually spotted my Phantom in a tree! He retrieved it & called my cell phone number I had on the bottom & said it doesn't appear to be damaged at all. The location is over 6km from where it vanished, astonishing that it flew that far without hitting anything because it wasn't very high. Anyway, the guy is at work so I can't get it back until tomorrow....

Question: What do I do with it now? How do I determine what went wrong and do I risk flying it again?

Maybe check the compass MOD. it should be 1500-1700. If its spiking crazy then you it had a compass fart.

gmbn.inc said:
Mako79 said:
gmbn.inc said:
**UPDATE**

Received a phone call from a guy who's dog was barking at something in his back yard, when he went to investigate he couldn't see what the dog was barking at, eventually spotted my Phantom in a tree! He retrieved it & called my cell phone number I had on the bottom & said it doesn't appear to be damaged at all. The location is over 6km from where it vanished, astonishing that it flew that far without hitting anything because it wasn't very high. Anyway, the guy is at work so I can't get it back until tomorrow....

Question: What do I do with it now? How do I determine what went wrong and do I risk flying it again?

Maybe check the compass MOD. it should be 1500-1700. If its spiking crazy then you it had a compass fart.

Ok yeah I'll do that when I get it back. Might get a 200ft rope and tie it to the landing gear in case it decides to go AWOL again too!

Ya'all missed the most important thing to DO FIRST - give the fine gentleman who was good enough to call you a quality bottle of something at least 18 years old (no...not wine). Then figure out what the hell happened and educate the rest of us, eh? :cool:

gmbn.inc said:
**UPDATE**

That's great news.
I Love a happy ending :)

That all calls for a Love Actually movie night.

First, let me say I'm glad things turned out much better than you had expected.
Having said that, the first thing I would do would be to connect the model to the assistant to determine if anything may be out of balance incl., but not limited to what has already been suggested in a prior post.
You are of the minority, one who has actually gotten the quad back after what may be most definitely a true fly away.
It would be a great opportunity to screen shot the various settings as you find them to keep as a permanent record, and to compare and validate the models current settings.
The values as they appear on the assistant software may prove to be quite a valuable piece of info. Double check all the settings, both basic, and advanced. Also connect the radio to the RC assistant to determine if the IOC controls are all still programed correctly and working as they should by flipping the S-1 and S-2 switches thru their various positions, verifying within the software that they do in fact change from GPS, ATTI, & Failsafe mode as they should.
The software may help you to diagnose what's going on with the model in its present status, as would a automobile tech attempt to determine a concern with the motor of a automobile.
Just as a further note: I believe you mentioned you now have grounded the newer model because of premature landings at above normal battery levels. You may want to use the Assistant software on that model to determine the voltage levels between the (3) cells within the battery, as all three cells should be relatively close in range. If one of the cells is much different than the others, you may very well have a bad battery. This has occurred quite frequently and discussed in other forums. Some have even received a replacement battery from DJI via the dealer purchased. Just some food for thought!
Btw, you may also want to insure the battery contacts within the battery compartment are corrosive free. All the Best.

Congratulations to you sir! Great ending here. Now if we can all just learn what might have caused it. Put your CSI hat on.

Regards,
J.

gmbn.inc said:
**UPDATE**

Looking forward to see if you figured out what caused the fly away, I had a similar incident with mine and haven't flown it since. Mine crashed in a tree on my property some 145 feet from where it lifted and 74 feet up, based on the display readings. I had it at 45-50 feet high when it took off, it was heading in the general direction of my last flight the day before. I did try to fly at low altitude with a string attached, it didn't hover ut rather took off forward till it reached the end of the string and the string caused it to tilt severely at which point I landed it.

EMCSQUAR said:
I can't hardly blame him, I had a similar incident happen Saturday - mine turned towards me (It was 200ft up and 175 ft in front of me) flew "full tilt" right over me and kept on going. It had Advanced IMU cal, GPS cal - had 10+ sats and skies were literally perfect.

After that, none of my remaining quads leave the ground without GTU 10 (Garmin tracker) onboard. I have lots of experience w/these and yes I came from the camp of "user error = flyaway" - until last Saturday.

Personally I think DJI has a weak spot in the NAZA software. I think their software has been thrown together w/little amount of field testing similar to their product marketing. It's going to take one flyaway to hit someone, something, cause an accident, whatever and I can see a major lawsuit inDJI's future.

Until then I'll keep flying and enjoying the hobby.

I am SO HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!! I cannot tell you how great it is to hear form someone with some significant experience who was made a believer by an actual experience. It is so sickening/disheartening to hear from people who say I've had 100 plus flights and never had a problem....it must be pilot error. What is wonderful to hear is someone like yourself, who does everything right and has this kind of an experience and then posts about it. I feel like a crazy guy who finally has a friend to relate to.

DJI HAS A PROBLEM. SOME FLY-AWAYS ARE NOT PILOT ERROR BUT DJI ERRORS. WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!

gmbn.inc wrote:
**UPDATE**

gmbn. inc,
Some potential steps have been suggested, Is it now possible for you to provide some feedback regarding what you may, or may not have determined as a possible contributing factor in the malfunction & flyaway of your Phantom.
Have you had an opportunity as yet to conduct any diagnostics using the Assistant software as suggested ?
Your response may shed some further light on the incident, and be most helpful to many who await some news as it relates to this unfortunate incident you have initially taken the time to share with us.

Geert said:
rrhansen said:
Question regarding NAZA mode...
When NAZA is enabled in the Assistant software, and the S2 IOC is "OFF" and the S1 is set to "GPS" - does it operate the same as the default Phantom GPS mode (when NAZA has not been enabled)???
Thanks.
That is correct.
It will operate in the same way.
Regarding the Plus' LED flashing definitions, won't they be different? or the same?

TeeJayN said:
Geert said:
rrhansen said:
Question regarding NAZA mode...
When NAZA is enabled in the Assistant software, and the S2 IOC is "OFF" and the S1 is set to "GPS" - does it operate the same as the default Phantom GPS mode (when NAZA has not been enabled)???
Thanks.
That is correct.
It will operate in the same way.
Regarding the Plus' LED flashing definitions, won't they be different? or the same?
That is correct they will be different. Find the naza-m v2 quick start guide on dji website for the led definitions.

gmbn.inc wrote:
**UPDATE**

Received a phone call from a guy who's dog was barking at something in his back yard, when he went to investigate he couldn't see what the dog was barking at, eventually spotted my Phantom in a tree! He retrieved it & called my cell phone number I had on the bottom & said it doesn't appear to be damaged at all. The location is over 6km from where it vanished, astonishing that it flew that far without hitting anything because it wasn't very high. Anyway, the guy is at work so I can't get it back until tomorrow

I hope gmbn.inc hasn't been held hostage by the guy who found his Phantom, which by his account simply flew away. :roll:
It appears after venting to the forum board, he has decided to retract all accounting of the incident, which I find a bit interesting. Request made to him for further updates to what may have been at cause based on his plea for suggestions on what he may do next have simply gone unanswered, and it appears he has now vanished just like his Phantom Quadcopter.
Its been said that there are "8 Million Stories in the Naked City", and I suspect this has been one of them. :lol:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj