Vision 2 + Falls from Sky

Reaction score
I was flying on about 75% drone battery at about 50' Alt about 150' horizontally from me and the lights on the drone went dark and the drone just dropped. I do not believe that the battery came out until it hit the ground, but I can't swear to that. Now when I try to start it it won't, I have 4 solid red LED's on the drone. I have it hooked to my computer and the message I get is the battery isn't an intelligent battery. It says that it is calibrated. It would seem that something would be damaged from a fall that high to the hard asphalt, but I can't tell what. I am able to get the video to record while it is on the ground, but the camera doesn't come to life and lock into place when everything is powered up. I just don't even know what or how to diagnose the problem. On DJI assistant, what is "reset BTU" and is that something that will help? Is there someplace where I can get after crash diagnosis. I bought the drone 2-3 months ago and just took it out of the box a few days ago. This was flight number 15, all others went flawlessly.

Is it a V3? Did you read the threads about first few batches of v3s being shipped with incorrect ESC.

If you take off lid you can see if thats your problem... ESC and or motor wires will look burnt... also the black capacitor on ESC will either have a blue or yellow texta marking.. blue is ESC 2.0 and yellow is ESC 2.1. If you have v3 the correct ESC is 2.1...

Could ofcourse be something else...but I would start there.

Been there done that.

When you pop the lid, look for the small wire pair that comes up from the power connector to the front of the main board. I have two that crashed and destroyed the connection at the main board. This is the link for battery condition.

I never took it apart, I just shipped it to DJI for diagnosis and repair. I'm thinking it's not going to be cheap. According to DJI they take 6 weeks to diagnose and repair. That's way too long so I'm going to need to figure out how to work on the thing myself. I have a good mechanical and electrical background, so I think I can figure it out. I want to buy a 2nd one so I have a spare, but I'm a bit gun shy given that the thing just dropped out of the sky with no warning. If that's going to be a recurring issue, I need to find different platform for the video filming that I need to do. I was using a real plane, but that can be a pain in the rear if I'm miles from an airport.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm bummed because the **** this is so easy to fly and so stable. Too good to be true it seems.

Gary

Is it a V3? Did you read the threads about first few batches of v3s being shipped with incorrect ESC.

If you take off lid you can see if thats your problem... ESC and or motor wires will look burnt... also the black capacitor on ESC will either have a blue or yellow texta marking.. blue is ESC 2.0 and yellow is ESC 2.1. If you have v3 the correct ESC is 2.1...

Could ofcourse be something else...but I would start there.

Justin blue marking is 2.0 look like mine is blue now im grounded

Any idea if DJI is good about fixing issues at their cost when its something not associated with operator error? I've already sent it to them. It arrived there today. That 6 week turn around time to get them to work on it is really hard to handle.

Thanks
Gary

Whatever I was flying it for 30th time getting sunset video and I was bringing it home r to try ground station at 30 ft out and 40 ft high when I seen it shut off and started again then hit the ground busted the cam and gimbal right off one arm was bent totaled so now I'm sending that 8th back for another is it worth it or should I get refund and get P3 instead. I think I should.

Popped lid and bingo **** wtf dji I think everyone should get a refund from the dji China men until they make it right it seems like every drone I have bought 1,fc40,vision +ever time I think I have a good deal they stop making it and what's that about selling people garbage that 50 percent faulty

Justin blue marking is 2.0 look like mine is blue now im grounded

just to be clesr I didnt say that info to try selk my ESCs lol... itd the truth.

But if anyonr wants to buy em there $80au which is like $60us but shipping is probs $30 and will take 2 weeks if yout in US...so not really worth it...happy to sell tho lol..

Would suggest you buy sum locally on ebsy etc.

Any idea if DJI is good about fixing issues at their cost when its something not associated with operator error? I've already sent it to them. It arrived there today. That 6 week turn around time to get them to work on it is really hard to handle.

Thanks
Gary

they warranty repaired one of our p2v+ ver 3 when it too shut off at 200' and fell with a fully charged battery. we did send in lots of details why we felt it was their problem and they did not argue.

check it out well when you get it back! they totally left the 2 thru hole lock plastic pieces off our camera and it fell off, broke ribbon cable. they also left out 3 cover screws on the new top cover. just shoddy workmanship.

also remember to do compass calibrate.

Can anybody tell me why,that every time you get you think is the best drone and then a new one comes out better same price and then they quit making them completely this has happened since my first phantom then f c40 now the vision + couple months it's 4 and so on wtf.

Well i found out i have the wrong esc to send it to them has to remove my flytrex lights etc no idea how much an 6 weeks to repair sucks will look for ver 2.1 online

marg2, if you decide to replace your ESCs with 2.1 models you likely will trade "instant failure" models with "throw my props off" models. So be sure to use your wrench and tighten those props instead of "hand tightening" and you will be ahead of the game!

Thank Yor. I Always use the wrench just ordered from helipal 19 each got the p2 open an checked all ESC and wires no stress mark anywhere so no need for fast shiping will use it as is for the weekend, heard from a dji dealer most of the failure is over using it with no rest from batt 1 to batt2 ect, anyway I wont take my chances know a guy here that the wire broke single copper wiring maybe I will rewire mine motor too will keep posting with pics
Thanks
Mar

I just bought a P2V+ v3.0 a couple of weeks ago. After reading this thread, I took the top off and looked at the ESC's. All four are marked V2.0.

I can't decide whether to fix it or just fly it. How common a problem is the failure of the 2.0 ESC's?

Edited to add that I did some searching on this, found the 44-page thread from January, and now have some work to do on the bird.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic