Video Signal Gets Laggy and Choppy

Phantom 3 Pro and Samsung Galaxy S5 phone.

Software version P3X_FW_V01.10.0090

This was my method to clear up video reception on my Galaxy S5 smart phone. It did help.

Latest version of software/firmware on SD card and in Drone. Start drone and update is automatic. Green light to blinking green light to red/green light to green when finished or something like that. This is mini led light above camera lens on gimbal housing.

Controller upgrade done via WIFI and activated via Android phone.

Calibrations:

Start controller, smartphone and drone.

On Android phone in General Settings (top right corner of page) menu press Drone Icon

Advanced Settings

Sensor State

IMU calibration

Finished when it says 100% (it will still be operating)

Turn everything off for 5 minutes.

Gimbal calibration

General Settings

Gimbal Settings

This is a good time to change other settings. Auto Clean-up Video Cache, Clear Video Cache and Clear Flight Routes

Now press the Camera icon

Do the gimbal Auto Calibration

Turn off drone for 5 minutes

Remote Controller Calibration

Turn off aircraft

General Settings

Activate Remote Controller Calibration

Follow onscreen instructions

Turn camera dial to left and right

Press Calibrate, Start and push each stick to maximum in all directions

Press “Done”

Turn drone off for 5 minutes

Check monitor view.

If video reception problems still exist;

Select HD icon in General Settings

Change from auto to custom or visa versa or change channels in manual mode.

With Custom we can select the channel. Then observe stability on graph.

In Auto mode the channel used is listed and stability can be observed on graph.

Refresh connection between remote control and drone by pressing small switch in little hole on side of drone next to small led light for 3 seconds.

Turn everything off and then back on in this order; phone, controller, and then drone.

Heating of the smart phone is also a major source of video reception problems. If your video starts off good and then gets bad it is probably the phone heating up. I made a little bracket that has a sponge in it. The phone fits up against the sponge and the sponge has ice water in it. You will have to figure out your own method of cooling your phone. It might help to stay in Airplane Mode but that will not keep the phone cool enough in hot weather. The phone needs to be water resistant in areas where it touches the wet sponge. A sun shield could also be built into your holding device. It keeps the phone a little cooler and helps very much with viewing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Simzy666
Almost everyone is experiencing this problem the problem is worse on android if you have upgraded to lollipop the java that the program is using is looping it eventually balls everything up and overloads the processor the looping is causing the processor to overheat and eventually to crash I have 2 tab s's one just reset by the samsung factory repair to 4.4.2 kit kat I have been working with samsung the past week with this problem mainly the wifi direct problem as I am the developer designer of the nebula alien sunglasses fpv system for the phantom in cases of no hdmi my glasses connect using wi fi direct. the tablet that has been reset to kit kat has none of the samsung crap or anything else in it no updates or anything else it works perfect no loading up full flights 20 min. same at beginning as at end with the video also being flowed to my glasses wirelessly the tab s with the lollipop upgrade starts loading immediately its unusable the wifi direct is also crashing while the pilot app is running in lollipop and not in kit kat this is an app problem that likely will be cured soon, I am more concerned about the barometric (altitude) pressure sensor that is also balling up check it out the next time your landing look at the altitude reading at ground level.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl