Video range P3P vs. P3A

Thanks all for the replies. It's back to Best Buy for an exchange, and a new P3Pro. I need to get out there before winter hits, flying with numb fingers is no fun.

Thanks all for the replies. It's back to Best Buy for an exchange, and a new P3Pro. I need to get out there before winter hits, flying with numb fingers is no fun.
Good choice. There are more advantages to the P3P over the P3A than DJI admits to...or properly promotes. You also get the faster charger!

I have a PSA & always get on average 3.4 miles in a severely WiFi congested area, with obstacles at every turn, only a windsurfer 3d printed booster. I really don't think range is any different for each, changing to custom channel and adjusting the downlink to 4 MBPS may be helping me tho, that's all I fly with.

I would also downgrade your transmission data rate. You don't have quite as high resolution on your iPad but I find I rarely have a video drop out.

Reactions: AZLeatherneck
I have a PSA & always get on average 3.4 miles in a severely WiFi congested area, with obstacles at every turn, only a windsurfer 3d printed booster. I really don't think range is any different for each, changing to custom channel and adjusting the downlink to 4 MBPS may be helping me tho, that's all I fly with.
I would also downgrade your transmission data rate. You don't have quite as high resolution on your iPad but I find I rarely have a video drop out.
Yes, I neglected to include that tip for successful long range flying, but at close range, such as he is describing, the higher rate should be fine, and the loss of the video signal alone won't trigger a RTH, which was what was happening. Sounds like a defective P3A.

That's a good point, that's one thing I haven't done yet.
That setting only affects the video feed. It won't affect the transmitter control range. The RTH is only triggered after loss of the transmitter signal for 3 seconds, and not by a loss of the video signal alone.

That's Correct. I'm only talking about video signal reception. I have zero issues with RC control signal. I haven't had a RTH or any issues like that.

That's Correct. I'm only talking about video signal reception. I have zero issues with RC control signal. I haven't had a RTH or any issues like that.
My bad. I was confusing this thread with another one, where the video recording was being messed up by spontaneous RTH, and RC signal loss. If it's only FPV signal reception, then reducing the video feed to the lowest setting possible will definitely help! Made a huge difference for me!

Good choice. There are more advantages to the P3P over the P3A than DJI admits to...or properly promotes. You also get the faster charger!

Agree.....for instance, signal distance and Mb`s video quality...just 2Mb`s Advanced vs. 10Mb`s on Pro...and other small details...

They're identical in this respect
I think you are correct, although I thought I read they had bumped it up for the P3A. Unfortunately, I don't have a P3A to confirm this, only the P3P.

Got the new bird, exchanged at Best Buy. WOW, what a difference. There was definitely something wrong with the first one I bought, as this one flies out to 1000 feet range with very strong video signal reception. I'm sure it will go farther, I'm just taking it slow. It kind of freaks me out when it becomes little more than a speck down range. I am so glad I didn't stick with the first one I bought!

Got the new bird, exchanged at Best Buy. WOW, what a difference. There was definitely something wrong with the first one I bought, as this one flies out to 1000 feet range with very strong video signal reception. I'm sure it will go farther, I'm just taking it slow. It kind of freaks me out when it becomes little more than a speck down range. I am so glad I didn't stick with the first one I bought!
With clear LOS (no obstructions), even without a windsurfer, I was getting a 2.7 mile range out of my stock P3P, before losing signal! You are in for a treat, as soon as you build up your confidence and get over the initial fear of flying using only FPV! With a few mods, you can even easily push that to 6 miles, if you are so inclined!:cool:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic