Vacation and plane flight with my Phantom 3S

Reaction score
In atumn i am flying to England from Slovenia...i own a drone bag Manfrotto Aviator D1.

In this bag is my drone equipment and photo gear(camera,lenses, flasgun, etc..)

This is a bag:
Aviator drone backpack for DJI Phantom

weight fully loaded is up to 10 kilos

Can i take this bag on a plane with me as a carry on because i am scared my gear will got damaged as check in...sorry for bad english ;-)

Poslano z mojega Galaxy S7 z uporabo Tapatalk

Last edited:
In atumn i am flying to England from Slovenia...i own a drone bag Manfrotto Aviator D1.

In this bag is my drone equipment and photo gear(camera,lenses, flasgun, etc..)

This is a bag:
Aviator drone backpack for DJI Phantom

weight fully loaded is aroun 10-15 kilos

Can i take this bag on a plane with me as a carry on because i am scared my gear will got damaged as check in...sorry for bad english ;-)

Your biggest problem is going to be the drone batteries. I'd recommend calling up and asking about the rules regarding LiPo batteries - usually they HAVE to be taken as hand-luggage and Id invest in a LiPo fire proof bag just in case.

Reactions: Danitur
Thank you ! I will buy some fireproof bags for all my bateries...for now i don't know with wich airlines i will fly...i will know more in may. I am going on a photo tour, so i want all my gear with me ;-)

Is this bag too big to take with me on a plane ?

Thank you ! I will buy some fireproof bags for all my bateries...for now i don't know with wich airlines i will fly...i will know more in may. I am going on a photo tour, so i want all my gear with me ;-)

The size of the hand luggage could also depend on the airline but fully packed it does look rather large

I have the manfrotto d1, and just flew with it for the first time yesterday. I also had my MacBook pro 15, and an iPad mini in the backpack.

I carried it on, and it just barely fit in the overhead compartment of a MD-90 on a delta flight in the US.

I had zero issues going through security, but I do have TSA pre-check.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've flown with a hardshell backpack with the RC/AC and packed full of flying related stuff inc. four batteries on BA, easyJet, Lufthansa, AF et al, all without problems. Security sometimes check the AC and batteries but that's all. And yes, your Manfrotto is just about cabin baggage sized (which is generally 55cm x 40cm x 24cm) so you should be OK there too.

Thank you all for helping me...if i will need something more i will ask when i get some more information about my trip ;-)

Thanks !

Sorry if I hijack your post but for yours and others' benefit. I flew from London to the Arctic the other day which involved three flights (and three security checks total - 1 at Heathrow, one at Oslo and one at Alta (northern Norway).

I had my camera backpack with all my camera gear (SLR + lenses, very heavy) and 3 P3S batteries in it. Obviously took laptop out at each checkpoint, LiPos were in an insulated lunchbox bag (NOT a LiPo bag). Not one of the checkpoints took a second look.

As a side note for other photographers out there, it'll save you time if you take your SLR out and put that in a tray too in Norway, they will send the bag out if you don't.

I have flown multiple times with my P3S and multiple batteries on carry-on. Not once has TSA asked about the drone, batteries or propellers. I wrap the batteries in zip lock bags to ensure no terminal contact. Lipo batteries are in everything - they don't care.

So if i get a fireproof/LiPo bag for my batteries there is nothing to worry i guess...i have only one battery for drone, two batteries for my camera and some batteries for my flash and maybe i will take my laptop...nothing too much obviously.

Last edited:
Sounds like a plan. Just remember if they try and put your hand luggage in the hold (they sometimes do this at the gate on budget airlines) politely inform them that you have X amount of Li-On/LiPo batteries, they'll let you keep it in the cabin then!

Reactions: mjcmize and Danitur
I am going to Brighton/Brighton and hove where we have photography workshop...maybe will be in london too...i dont know more yet...i get more information about workshp in May...

Reactions: Neon Euc
Don't fly over 400 feet (121 metres) and don't fly over congested areas and you'll be OK.
Haha nicely spotted numone. 36 years old and I STILL get feet and metres mixed up [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Neon Euc

Ok thank you !

Does anyone know how is the law for drone usage in England ?

Sent from my SM-G930F using PhantomPilots mobile app

Can I direct you to this, The Drone Code, it's very well explained as to what you can and can't do. It's a bit more than just 400 ft up and within 500m of you. I also find No Fly Drones useful, especially cos there's a few private airports around Brighton too

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr