Union Pacific 4014 Big Boy steaming past Geneva, IL

Yup nice,you had the best view in the house on that one:)
Great stuff,agree never get sic of trains

Reactions: Capt KO
Very nice, short and sweet. Never tire of trains, my late uncle and my nephew are engineers.
4014 is amazing. You may know the story of the restoration for the 150th anniversary of the Golden Spike. I tried various altitudes and distance and got lucky. The scale of the loco with the tiny people is great. This tour is almost over now as she heads back to Cheyenne. I sort of expected more drone photographers, but was the only one at that viewing area, but there are some good ones on various FB rail enthusiasts group pages. This is the UP schedule - 2019 Union Pacific Steam Schedule

No expert piloting needed, just getting a unique angle on Big Boy as she steamed past yesterday. The largest steam locomotive still operating in the world, part of the “great race across the Midwest“.

Thanks. WOW. What a beautiful machine. Glory days in what once was America.

Lordy, I’d give my left nut to live between Green River and North Platte on the UP main line. However, the reality of it all is that my right nut would subsequently turn into an ice cube the next winter. DAAAAAAAAAAANG!

Nice machines were those steaming monsters.
New electromotor can't compare with that one - really great mechanical masterpiece. Try to get it in the winter too with all that steam arround it.

Reactions: LARA images
Great video! But...I thought one wasn’t supposed to fly over crowds except for special circumstances or permission? Not looking to start an argument, just wondering.

Actually, it is a "special circumstance." The police call it an "unavoidable traffic hazzard" which they ignore for the most part. It's not unusual to see cars driving 70-80 mph down a 45 mph road to "chase the train" or have a crowd of people blocking a highway bridge to get photos. The police are there just to ensure no serious endangerment to others by a blatant idiot. It's over in 10 minutes. From the video, it does seem the pilot was quite careful in avoiding the bulk of the crowd and got a good video of the 4014 Big Boy as a result.

I had permission from the Park District, and the supervisor actually was with me watching 4014 come through. The drone was positioned well back from the crowd up near the tracks and i simply did a shaft flight up/down for that reason. Always safety first.
crowd and drone.jpg

Great video! But...I thought one wasn’t supposed to fly over crowds except for special circumstances or permission? Not looking to start an argument, just wondering.
I had permission from the Park District, and the supervisor actually was with me watching 4014 come through. The drone was positioned well back from the crowd up near the tracks and i simply did a shaft flight up/down for that reason. Always safety first.

9B754C63-5665-43AE-A771-B3EDE626ECCD.jpeg

View attachment 113511
It's not the park manager that will issue you the fines (one for every person you flew over ... it's the FAA and they require a waiver to fly over people. Stand under your drone and keep people at a distance and you'll be OK. You can legally be under your own drone. The good news is the FAA doesn't have the manpower to enforce.
A a train enthusiast I love the footage!

It's not the park manager that will issue you the fines (one for every person you flew over ... it's the FAA and they require a waiver to fly over people. Stand under your drone and keep people at a distance and you'll be OK. You can legally be under your own drone. The good news is the FAA doesn't have the manpower to enforce.
A a train enthusiast I love the footage!
Yes, I am aware of that. And have the drone registered with the FAA, etc. If you look at the photo I posted-just to show that location-is exactly what I was doing straight up straight down not over any single person including me. Some younger boys came near as I was slowly descending and I told them to stay back, and walked 50 ft. into a field with the drone. I’m glad you like the photography from that perspective. That clip was picked up by two news organizations in their coverage of Big Boy.

Reactions: milo187
That's awesome the news used your footage! Just curious did they pay you for the footage?

Sorry didn't mean to sound critical or offend. Just want others that may not know the rules to know only the FAA can give permission to fly over people intentionally or not.

That's awesome the news used your footage! Just curious did they pay you for the footage?

Sorry didn't mean to sound critical or offend. Just want others that may not know the rules to know only the FAA can give permission to fly over people intentionally or not.
No offense, agree there are way too many unsafe pilots out there. As for "pay" for footage - ha, ha. But did get credited on ABC Ch 5 Des Moines TV segment. Yippee.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20