UK Backpack bargain if you know where to look

Reaction score
What if I told you, you could get the DJI backpack for £59 instead of £319. Whilst this is not exactly true please bare with me.

If you check the the images of the backpack on the DJI web site, in a couple of them you can clearly see that it is manufactured by Manfrotto, who manufacture good quality photographic equipment. I checked the Manfrotto web site and found a backpack that looks almost identical to DJI's which retails at £199, its a 3N1-35 PL. looking at it the only real difference I can see is the removable inserts on the inside. I then decided to do a "Best Price" web search for the Manfrotto backpack, that's when I discovered Kata . Kata manufactured bags but has now merged with......you've guessed it, Manfrotto. I'm not sure how many Kata bags are still available out there but I have found a UK photographic shop selling them on sale for £59 .

http://www.wexphotographic.com/buy-kata-3n1-35-pl-sling-backpack/p1528637

As you will see from the pictures on the above web site, apart from the inserts it is identical. I have purchased one of these and can confirm that the P3 will fit, I've used some of the inserts to form a few compartments for the extra batteries when they are available. The P3 has to go in upside down as shown on the DJI images, it is tight but now that I am used to it can have it in or out without any trouble and for a soft backpack it protects it pretty well.

Hope you find this info useful

Cheers
Jay

Reactions: TeamYankee
But isn't this a side access as shown for camera use and not a full frontal zipped cover? How could you get the P3 in through the side?

But isn't this a side access as shown for camera use and not a full frontal zipped cover? How could you get the P3 in through the side?

No, the way that the bag is designed you could use it as a sling bag and access your camera equipment from either side, or you can use it as shown on the DJI images. Apart from the inserts in the main bag I have just noticed that the pocket in the top section that has the props in is also missing.... but for a £260 saving I can live with that......:)

I just checked and no shipping option outside of UK . Too bad. Looks like a nice option. Thanks for sharing.

I searched this model and BHPhoto doesn't sell it anymore and replaced with Manfrotto for $199 and also found other sites selling it for over well over $200 U.S. , mostly EBay. You got a sweet deal!

I searched this model and BHPhoto doesn't sell it anymore and replaced with Manfrotto for $199 and also found other sites selling it for over well over $200 U.S. , mostly EBay. You got a sweet deal!

Its a shame that they will not ship internationally. I doubt that there are many out there, not sure when Kata became part of Manfrotto. I do like the look of the hard backpack that DJI have launched and would probably have gone for that rather than the £200 Manfrotto, but at £59 its a steal.

I posted about this about a week ago and received mine from WEX last weekend but to be honest it does not fit the Phantom 3 very well due to it's slightly increased height. I am wondering if DJI removed the additional foam padding between the main compartment and the laptop compartment at the rear or the padding in the top of the compartment. Both are easily done by opening up some velcro but it all results in less padding for the Phantom.

I will say though it is one of the best camera backpacks I have seen as it has so many customisable options to it.

Last edited:
I purchased that on ebay UK for 99 pounds and thought I got myself a bargain - what a deflation... 59 pounds. It is a snug fit but lovely bag...

sdharris - if you end up buying something else...you know who'd be interested in buying yours :)

Thought I would upload some images so that people can see the fit, its rather snug and my concern is damaging either the landing gear or the motors and motor arms.

I agree that it is a tight fit, I have my P3 turned 90 degrees compared to yours, so that the camera is facing the bottom. The first few times I used it I did wonder about the pressure I was applying to get it into the bag but soon found that as long as you are quite forceful in keeping the bag wide enough open it goes in pretty easy, I also find it helps to put it in before the controller. The legs do protrude slightly higher than the lip of the open backpack, as you have shown in your pictures, but I don't find this to be a problem and can zip it up pretty easy as the backpack has a slightly curved shape to it. As mohan stated it is a lovely bag and although it is a soft backpack it does have some built in features to help protect the content.

I had already ordered the Fancier KingKong 40 when I saw this and although the KingKong is a great bag for the money it doesn't compare to the quality of the Kata bag.

mohan £99 is still a good price, I think list was £128............ but at £59 its a steal.......;)

sdharris - if you end up buying something else...you know who'd be interested in buying yours :)

I'm sure you will find one locally and I'm about to send it back to be honest. Its not a great fit and can carry less than the DJI hard shell backpack so two negatives outweigh the one benefit of cost.

What if I told you, you could get the DJI backpack for £59 instead of £319. Whilst this is not exactly true please bare with me.
Jay
I found something even cheaper that will do the job a it's only $49.99 & FREE Shipping.
http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...liid=I1SZMEB0OCOQFL&ref_=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl

...Or just seach Amazon for: "DJI Phantom Waterproof Backpack For DJI Phantom 1 Phantom 2 Vision Vision+ FC40 FPV Brown" To me it's worth it just for the cutout foam and build my own hard case.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31