Trouble with focus

• Thread starter Deleted member 27337
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 27337

Is there a way to make the P4P behave like the P4 and always be in focus without any interaction? I find that I am constantly half pressing the photo button to do a focus but the video is not focused uniformly top to bottom.

Thanks

Is there a way to make the P4P behave like the P4 and always be in focus without any interaction? I find that I am constantly half pressing the photo button to do a focus but the video is not focused uniformly top to bottom.

Thanks
I focus at infinity before or just after takeoff and do not touch the focus again that flight. If you have un-uniform focus (across the same frame) that sounds like an issue. Could you post a sample frame?

Reactions: photoskyview
I focus at infinity before or just after takeoff and do not touch the focus again that flight. If you have un-uniform focus (across the same frame) that sounds like an issue. Could you post a sample frame?
How do you focus to Infinity?

Thanks! I sent you a PM
Hi, you should probably post it here so others can chime in, but my one minute analysis, indicates that you might have an alignment issue with your lens; center from top to bottom is tack sharp while the right side and especially the left side seems increasingly soft.

To get a better check, take a still photo of a scene like this to ensure maximum resolution. Filming in 60fps removes half the vertical lines and makes it harder to see what is wrong (lens or something else).

Hi, you should probably post it here so others can chime in, but my one minute analysis, indicates that you might have an alignment issue with your lens; center from top to bottom is tack sharp while the right side and especially the left side seems increasingly soft.

To get a better check, take a still photo of a scene like this to ensure maximum resolution. Filming in 60fps removes half the vertical lines and makes it harder to see what is wrong (lens or something else).
I think that may be because I tapped the center of the screen so the green box stayed there?

I think they may be because I tapped the center of the screen so the green box stayed there?
No, the focus plane is only distance from lens to object (along the same axis you are pointing), and for a aeriel scene such as this, everything should be in or very close to perfect focus (at the same time). Do as I suggest above making sure you use ISO 100 and also f2.8 and also f5.6 for comparison. Post result here for a more "scientific" analysis. But in the mean time, post video here also so others can offer their input.

I had another look at your video and it definitely looks overly soft on the left-hand and partly the right hand side of the frame. I see that at least one other person has had problems with a misaligned lens (which can cause this) so you might be a victim of this.

I had another look at your video and it definitely looks overly soft on the left-hand and partly the right hand side of the frame. I see that at least one other person has had problems with a misaligned lens (which can cause this) so you might be a victim of this.

What can I do to fix it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Should I fly up to 400ft and tap on the horizon to ensure there is a problem? Also, should I be on AF or MF?

Should I fly up to 400ft and tap on the horizon to ensure there is a problem? Also, should I be on AF or MF?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
The key here is a controlled test. Many ways to do this, but to reduce the number of variables, I would suggest the following:

1) Find a brick wall. (or a motive with a repeating structure left-to-right).
2) Move to a meaningful distance, maybe 5 meters or whatever gives you a good number of vertical lines (this is what you want to check).
3) Place drone on the ground, make sure it is more or less aligned to the wall (does not need to be "perfect").
4) Focus on wall with tap-to-focus
5) Make sure you have dng+jpg selected (jpg is easy to evaluate, but dji will probably request dng if this is a potential replacement case). Also, make sure the 3:2 format is selected to ensure you capture all available pixels.
6) Use A mode, make sure ISO 100 is selected and take one picture at f/2.8, f/5.6 and f/8 and f/11

The f/2.8 picture is the one of interest, but the others should show increasing levels of focus left-to-right so good for reference.

Then inspect the f/2.8 picture at 100% (on your computer) to see if there is variable focus and how much. Also post this here, and we will help you to determine if there is a alignment problem.

Any subject will do, but a repeating structure (such as a brick wall) makes it much easier to compare across the frame.

Edit: Howering two-three meters above the ground should allow all corners to show the subject, which will be better.

Last edited:
What can I do to fix it?

Tony, i can confirm i had the same problem, like Tomas says, its was a misaligned lens, i went back to my dealer, and it was replaced immediately by the shop, without any further consulting from neither distributor or Dji.
Im afraid theres no other solution than getting it replaced, at least the gimbal.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Tony, i can confirm i had the same problem, like Tomas says, its was a misaligned lens, i went back to my dealer, and it was replaced immediately by the shop, without any further consulting from neither distributor or Dji.
Im afraid theres no other solution than getting it replaced, at least the gimbal.

This really stinks. I purchased from B&H Photo. Should I contact them about it? I can't confirm the lens is defective yet, but compared to my P4 this doesn't look as sharp.

We
This really stinks. I purchased from B&H Photo. Should I contact them about it? I can't confirm the lens is defective yet, but compared to my P4 this doesn't look as sharp.

Well, the advantage i find to buy from a local shop, is that i have the ability to visit them, so i did, brought it back, we compared mine and a new one, there were no doubt, hence the quick decision, but then again, this is a pro camera shop that supplies tv stations and other large film companies, so a satisfied customer is important to them. Still i believe its and advantage, especially if the product is only days old, then its not reasonable to send things in and make the customer wait for weeks for a new one to return, at least thats how they practice this in my country when buying directly from a shop. Trough internet is of course another story.

Your video indicates that you have this problem. If you follow my instructions (again, brick wall is just a easy to evaluate subject, others also apply) you will have documentation of the problem. I would post here (as you just have my analysis based on that one sample) before contacting b&h.

Your video indicates that you have this problem. If you follow my instructions (again, brick wall is just a easy to evaluate subject, others also apply) you will have documentation of the problem. I would post here (as you just have my analysis based on that one sample) before contacting b&h.

Ok I'll give it a shot and post my results here.

Reactions: Tomas Wangen
Tomas, forgive my lack of experience. I do not know how to take pictures at those different f-stops. Can you explain to me how to adjust between f/2.8, f/5.6 and f/8 and f/11? I'm getting ready to take these pictures for everyone to analyze. Thanks for all of your help.

Also, should i perform the same tests with my Mavic Pro? I want to make sure that both of my cameras are working properly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor