Transporting Phanton by plane

Reaction score
Hi.
Has anybody encountered any difficulty in transporting a drone / quadcopter as checked in luggage?
I have a brand new, unboxed Phantom 3 Pro that i want to check in (LiPo removed and placed in pouch for hand luggage) with AirTransit.
The folks at the Airtransit phone centre say they don't permit the carriage of drones on their flights although their website makes no reference to not carrying them.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Hi.
Has anybody encountered any difficulty in transporting a drone / quadcopter as checked in luggage?
I have a brand new, unboxed Phantom 3 Pro that i want to check in (LiPo removed and placed in pouch for hand luggage) with AirTransit.
The folks at the Airtransit phone centre say they don't permit the carriage of drones on their flights although their website makes no reference to not carrying them.

Any advice would be most welcome.
Air Transat phone centre staff won't be the people checking what's in your bags - airport security people that check luggage for all airlines will.
I haven't heard of any problems and you know that the batteries must be in your carry-on.
If you were to carry-on thePhantom, the security people see them every day and don't even blink when they see the distinctive shape on their x-ray scanner screens.

Air Transat phone centre staff won't be the people checking what's in your bags - airport security people that check luggage for all airlines will.
I haven't heard of any problems and you know that the batteries must be in your carry-on.
If you were to carry-on thePhantom, the security people see them every day and don't even blink when they see the distinctive shape on their x-ray scanner screens.
Thanks very much for your quick response Meta4. Yes, battery will be carry on.

On may this year, I brought from Madrid-Spain to Goiania-Brasil, a Phantom 4 on its original case with 2 extra batteries. I carried it as hand luggage. Never had problems in the x-ray machines or entering the airplane.

Reactions: konidair
I went through Sydney Airport, Abu Dhabi, Athens Airport(plus another 4 small Greek airports, nine different planes in total) and returned back to Sydney 2 days ago. My P3P was in it's hardcase as carry-on(didn't have the courage to give it as checked luggage)and the 2 batteries in my son's carry on luggage. No problems at all! :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've just got back from Poland and i took my P3S on as hand luggage and encountered no problems at all.
I did however email the airport and airline before my outgoing flight so that i had confirmation with me just in case i was stopped.

They must be worried you are going to start it up midflight and fly it around the cabin? So you can carry on the explosive batteries but not some plastic.

Two more questions regarding shipping - (I haven't yet received my Phantom 3 but those who have Phantoms may know the answer)
  • I was wondering if the unit comes with the battery in a separate box in the shipment or is it bundled in with the drone / inserted in to the Phantom?
  • Does the remote control need to be carried on as hand luggage or can it stay in the box and be checked in along with the Phantom?

Drone arrived - no problems.
NB. Spare battery was with original consignment with first battery installed in aircraft (previous posts had stated that spare battery arrived approximately one month subsequent to initial delivery).
Thanks again to the responses above.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31