Toora wind farm

Reaction score
Don't worry - I'm not planning to pin all my videos here (my specialty is trying to make local reservoirs look interesting). But I am quite pleased with this one from last week. A captivating subject at sunset with that backdrop, and it's hard to go wrong.
I'm a little intimidated by these beasts and can't bring myself to fly as close as I'd like. I'm also concerned about turbulence, but didn't sense any - perhaps at closer distances? The viewing area is only about 80 metres from the nearest pylon, so the sound of the blades slicing through the air at that distance was pretty loud - adding to my sense of caution. I didn't record any sound on location but sourced some for the video that was similar to what I could hear. Enjoy!

Last edited:
Don't worry - I'm not planning to pin all my videos here (my specialty is trying to make local reservoirs look interesting). But I am quite pleased with this one from last week. A captivating subject at sunset with that backdrop, and it's hard to go wrong.
I'm a little intimidated by these beasts and can't bring myself to fly as close as I'd like. I'm also concerned about turbulence, but didn't sense any - perhaps at closer distances? The viewing area is only about 80 metres from the nearest pylon, so the sound of the blades slicing through the air at that distance was pretty loud - adding to my sense of caution. I didn't record any sound on location but sourced some for the video that was similar to what I could hear. Enjoy!

First-very Nicely Done!
Next- a few questions on settings.
Frame rate/shutter?
On 2nd clip you did a beautiful POI- was that manual or using the Auto POI ?
Three- what was your speed on that second clip?
Four- did you slow it down in post, or is that actual speed?
Again, nice!

First-very Nicely Done!
Next- a few questions on settings.
Frame rate/shutter?
On 2nd clip you did a beautiful POI- was that manual or using the Auto POI ?
Three- what was your speed on that second clip?
Four- did you slow it down in post, or is that actual speed?
Again, nice!
Thanks for the praise.
To answer your questions:
Frame rate? 30 fps.
Shutter speed? Don't know - it was in auto. I don't want to have to set up each shot. The exposure/shutter would have been changing on that POI turn - just very gradually.
POI manual or auto? It was a manual turn - pretty smooth by my standards. :cool:
Speed of POI turn? Would guess close to 35 km/hr.
Slow down in post? No, all shots at actual speed. I only shoot at 30 fps, so no scope for slowing down and retaining fluidity. Would like to shoot at 60 fps, but feel that I can make better use of the available bit-rate at 4K/30fps.

Last edited:

That sound, it really had to be scary

Nice video!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik