Toms River NJ Drone ordinance

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone knew of a phone number or an email address for the legal department of the FAA. I would like to contact somebody in reference to these towns passing ordinances restricting drones and see if they are actually allowed to restrict the airspace and force us to register the drone with individual townships. The latest township in NJ attempting to restrict their usage:

Toms River, NJ

Along with them attempting to restrict their flight below 400 feet. They also want anyone who flies their drone in the town to be required to get consent and register it with them at the cost of $70 a year, how many different agencies are we going to have to register with?. If they can get away with this who knows how many other towns are going to attempt the same thing. It could get ridiculously expensive if you fly in different areas. All the politicians in NJ have to see is another revenue stream (as if NJ isn't already one of the most highly taxed states in the country) and this will seriously mushroom. I know one other town in the same county in NJ had proposed the same ordinance but mysteriously tabled it and never passed it. I am wondering if the FAA was made aware and stepped in and told them they do not have the authority.

Reactions: hit-n-run
I was just going to post that same article. I live in the next town south, ( a drones fly away) and was wondering if a town could legally regulate their air space.

I was just going to post that same article. I live in the next town south, ( a drones fly away) and was wondering if a town could legally regulate their air space.

I googled the FAA's legal department and found some contacts. I also downloaded their proposed ordinance and I'm going to include that with a letter to the Deputy Chief Counsel of Enforcement and Regulation. I don't live in Toms River either, but am worried that if they do this it will have a snowball effect with other towns. I really want to know how much regulatory power these useless politicians actually have.

Reactions: Liveddica
I googled the FAA's legal department and found some contacts. I also downloaded their proposed ordinance and I'm going to include that with a letter to the Deputy Chief Counsel of Enforcement and Regulation. I don't live in Toms River either, but am worried that if they do this it will have a snowball effect with other towns. I really want to know how much regulatory power these useless politicians actually have.

Could you direct me towards what I can do to stand against towns/counties creating these half baked ordinances?...I live in Jersey and want to help stop any more greedy NJ politicians from charging us more fees on top of the fees we already have!! Their rules are asinine, for example, they want to keep us from flying lower than 400 ft??? That's one huge FAA rule that they are messing with. NJ is one big contradictory, just look at insurance in this state.

Could you direct me towards what I can do to stand against towns/counties creating these half baked ordinances?...I live in Jersey and want to help stop any more greedy NJ politicians from charging us more fees on top of the fees we already have!! Their rules are asinine, for example, they want to keep us from flying lower than 400 ft??? That's one huge FAA rule that they are messing with. NJ is one big contradictory, just look at insurance in this state.

This is the FAA website for their Chief Counsel

FAA Legal

I think this as good of a starting place as any. I am going to draft a letter this weekend and mail it out on Monday, along with a copy of the proposed ordinance. Hopefully if this is the incorrect avenue to take they will at least point me in the right direction.

Reactions: Liveddica
They probably can't legislate for the airspace but if it's anything like the UK they can legislate for the ground and make it illegal to take off/operate/land a drone. However, if they can prove that drones are being used to cause a nuisance (which from the sound of it they are) they will probably get some sort of special clearance.

I attached a link to an article with the actual proposed ordinance in it. It's nuts, it just seems that an ordinance like this will expose the town tons of litigation and $$$ on legal fees.
It says that information collected from the drone registrations will be periodically delivered to the police and code enforcement officers. Why would they need to do this? Are they going to start informing law enforcement the firearms I possess?

Go to the town meeting on April 25 @ 6 PM.

Link to article with proposed ordinance included.

FAA Issues Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws

FAA office for inquiries

Eastern Region Office of the Regional Counsel 1 Aviation Plaza, Room 561 Jamaica, NY 11434-4848 (718) 553-3285 (DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV)

I live in Toms River and will be attending the town council meeting to speak against the ordinance. Public comments will be accepted from those present at the public hearing regarding this ordinance on April 25 (Tuesday) at 6pm, held at the Town Hall of Toms River.
I will bring the FAA Fact Sheet on State and Local UAS Laws
https://www.faa.gov/uas/resources/uas_regulations_policy/media/uas_fact_sheet_final.pdf
as well as my Phantom. If anyone else is available to speak against this, please show up.

In addition, to contact FAA counsel and voice opposition:
Eastern Region Office of the Regional Counsel 1 Aviation Plaza, Room 561 Jamaica, NY 11434-4848 (718) 553-3285 (DC, DE, MD, NJ, NY, PA, VA, WV)

Wishing all luck on this.

We stopped vacationing in Stone Harbor after the banned kites/kite surfing. Took our $$$ to the outer banks.

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scav8tor