To update or not??

Reaction score
My son hasn't flow the Phantom 3 Advanced for a couple;e of years now so has loaned it to me to play with. I'm getting the "Firmware update": warning coming up but I am very reluctant to tamper with something that works OK.
\When my son came down with the drone he tried to do an update but it completely hung the whole thing up. Somehow, being an ex computer programmer and fully computer literate, he managed to get it all working again so I am very reluctant to start interfering with the operating systems.

What could be issues, if any, by not keeping the firmware up to date? Should I just go for it??? IMG_5099.jpgIMG_5098.jpg

Reactions: Phill2
I am in the same situation.
Intermittent flying over the last several years.
Now I’m getting the update red triangle. I flew the other day and had slight issues. Like “no WiFi detected ( even though I was 10 ft. from WiFi),
No video transmission, and the “DJI is committed to safety” leading to a dead url”. However, after reboot of p3a several times, issues went away. With exception of “ DJI is committed to safety” that took me automatically to a dead url.

I’ve read a TON on firmware updates,
so I’m very cautious to do one.
Some folks say “all went well, then others say it was a nightmare and actually caused a malfunction/crash “

What I’ve read on DJI website says if your firmware is older than 1.xx.xx than you MUST do the upgrade via the SIM card...[emoji15]

I feel that DJI should update the instructions on firmware updates, as the official DJI instructions that lead you to u tube are sadly dated. Maybe the want you to buy a new drone.

So...
I Agee with if it ain’t broke
Don’t fix it!!!

BUT

By chance if someone has had good?
luck updating their p3a via the SIM card and a computer, pls post a link.

So folks dusting off their p3a can get some better information.

This is a great forum with TONS of information... if you can find it!

Thanks all...

What I’ve read on DJI website says if your firmware is older than 1.xx.xx than you MUST do the upgrade via the SIM card...

You won't be able to update firmware using Subscriber Identification Module card. But even assuming you meant SD card, this is still false, with extra confusion.

1. There are two separate updates, one for GL300 Remote Controller and one for the Aircraft itself.

2. AC (Ph3 Pro/Adv) can only be updated via SD-card. No computer, no mobile. Only SD-card.

3. RC can be updated via mobile device. Old versions can also be updated by SD card. No upgrade fro PC, as far as I'm aware.

And also:

4. Don't update unless you have a reason to assume this will help.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4