Tips for Newbies ......

Reaction score
Thought it would be nice for new pilots to have a thread with some tips that might make this an entirely fun experience and prevent catastrophic event ......

First thing I did was to adjust my RTH altitude from the default 20 meters (60') to 50 Meters (150') ..... You need to make sure that you can clear any obstacles between the aircraft and "Home" .......m

Always calibrate! My second flight left was down and right was up, Up was left and left was invisible.. Has anyone seen My P3P?

Also this saved me last night.. When flying at night and your FPV is hard to see due to low light, relax... Use the satellite map on the bottom right to bring you back home. If you tap on that map it becomes the main screen.

Takeoff ...... don't baby it up ..... its more like at least half throttle til your 5-8' up ..... I've seen (me) more than one first flight crash during first takeoff .... There is an auto takeoff on the P3 but have not used it yet .....m

Develop the ability to hand catch verses surface level landing, it is less stress on your airframe , gimbal and camera. Just remember to stop recording before attempting to land or hand catch.

Thought it would be nice for new pilots to have a thread with some tips that might make this an entirely fun experience and prevent catastrophic event ......

First thing I did was to adjust my RTH altitude from the default 20 meters (60') to 50 Meters (150') ..... You need to make sure that you can clear any obstacles between the aircraft and "Home" .......m

Is that setting on the DJI Pilot app? Do we no longer need to use the actual PC/Mac App where we had to connect the Phantom to our computer via the USB Port on the front of the phantom? When I had my P2V+ it was that PC/Mac app that had the IOC Settings, Calibrations, etc. Is that no longer needed for the P3 because everything is in the DJI Pilot app?

Reactions: Julius717
Hand catching is something I did every time with my p2v+ but with the p3 I noticed the very first time I flew it that landing is 10000x smoother and stable with the new landing gear, Unless I'm on a rocky surface or super tall vegetation I'll be landing normal with the p3.

Reactions: snowghost
Is that setting on the DJI Pilot app? Do we no longer need to use the actual PC/Mac App where we had to connect the Phantom to our computer via the USB Port on the front of the phantom? When I had my P2V+ it was that PC/Mac app that had the IOC Settings, Calibrations, etc. Is that no longer needed for the P3 because everything is in the DJI Pilot app?

You are correct, everything is done through the pilot app now. Makes it much easier.

Reactions: dysan911
Develop the ability to hand catch verses surface level landing, it is less stress on your airframe , gimbal and camera. Just remember to stop recording before attempting to land or hand catch.
Never had a vision but turning off the camera also turn off the gimbal?

Hand catching is something I did every time with my p2v+ but with the p3 I noticed the very first time I flew it that landing is 10000x smoother and stable with the new landing gear, Unless I'm on a rocky surface or super tall vegetation I'll be landing normal with the p3.

I agree it's more stable and if ground landing works then that is great. However, I still hand catch as it simply rules out any possibility of a tip over. The P3 having a more stable hover also makes hand catching _very_ easy. Just grab it firmly near the top of the landing gear and press the descend stick until the motors shut off.

Plus, I think it looks cool. :)

Reactions: Boyce and dysan911
Never had a vision but turning off the camera also turn off the gimbal?

No ... your not turning off the camera ....just "stop" recording ......really doesnt matter ... you can keep recording and cut that part out later ......

I agree it's more stable and if ground landing works then that is great. However, I still hand catch as it simply rules out any possibility of a tip over. The P3 having a more stable hover also makes hand catching _very_ easy. Just grab it firmly near the top of the landing gear and press the descend stick until the motors shut off.

Plus, I think it looks cool. :)

when your grab the landing gear make sure your not lifting or pulling down on the aircraft or it will try to maintain its current altitude and tend to resist .....your just clamping on with your hand and then pretty much at the same time Throttle to Zero ... motors will stop .....m

Reactions: Phantom 3 Pilot
Is it better to store the P3 with the clear plastic gimbal guard re-installed, or without? Mine seems very tight to install and remove, and I worry that I may be stressing the gimbal more by using the guard. Also, thoughts on the little white foam elbow that was on the gimbal when shipped. Use or discard?

I use auto launch and auto land and both are stable on the P3P feel safe to use on level clear surfaces.

Added: if your having trouble with jerky movements, train yourself to use the pinch method Two Fingers. And BUY a long adjustable Lanyard....

Is it better to store the P3 with the clear plastic gimbal guard re-installed, or without? Mine seems very tight to install and remove, and I worry that I may be stressing the gimbal more by using the guard. Also, thoughts on the little white foam elbow that was on the gimbal when shipped. Use or discard?
The Foam pad is new to the P3 and might be good if your shipping or traveling ....but you do have to be gentile installing it ....as with the clear guard I tilt the Phantom up letting it rest onthe battery side arms so I can see the Camera/Gimbal and place the lock in position ..... Its less than Ideal ....m

Quite a bit of you have flown all the Phantoms and now have the P3s. Would you care to offer up some of the Items you find will work with the P3s? I have seen Back Packs that cross fit but not to much more. Any Transmitter Tables? Launch pads? basically anything that made life easier with your past Phantoms that will easily work with the P3s.

Ascend (UP) has saved me from many potential crashes. If my bird controls are reversed or I'm disoriented in the flight direction, I always (if low go up). this buys time if your near potential obstructions.

Reactions: snowghost
Takeoff ...... don't baby it up ..... its more like at least half throttle til your 5-8' up ..... I've seen (me) more than one first flight crash during first takeoff .... There is an auto takeoff on the P3 but have not used it yet .....m
This feature works great! Auto-landing does too.

Reactions: loganboyd

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj