This says it all about DJI .... Still love my P3A though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Typical disclaimer from a lot of companies with a wide area of products.

It's a known fact that DJI support sucks. That's rarely disputed. You just need to know that going in.

Truth of the matter is any of them can fly away or fall out of sky. Is what it is.

Reactions: bobmyers
It is really pretty simple, this thing flies, like you know, in the sky, and Murphy being Murphy, **** is gonna happen. If you can't handle it find another hobby... like stamps. I am going to stop coming on here, no more informative intelligent discussions, just the same old tired questions because people are to lazy to use the search function, and bitching about DJI, really? Read the **** fine print before you run out and buy something.

My credit card company has already said they'll reverse the charges...and that's all that matters to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Bigdz

Moderators[emoji600][emoji600][emoji600][emoji600][emoji600]

We have a thread issue[emoji599][emoji599][emoji599][emoji599]

LOCKED[emoji359]

With many companies jumping into the quad copter industry to get their little pieces of the pie its hard to decide which to choose. When I say choose I dont talk about finding the one that flashes the most colors, bells and whistles. I'm talking about choosing a company that you feel will support you when and if something goes wrong regardless if its DJI, user or defective errors. With DJI now reaching over a billion dollars. My intuition pointed towards DJI as they seem to be the most successful in this industry. "Successful", now hear me out because I know this is going to be hard for you to understand and swallow. Successful meaning making a **** good product that everyone demands. Not lying about what it can do in advertisements just to eat up your money. Not shipping out a half completed product. Not updating to a firmware causing multiple accidents (that there well aware of) and causing veteran users scared to update. Had consumers been aware of this before hand, well, there would be no DJI company. It would be a runned down factory in China that attempted to be successful like other billion companies over there. Had I known about this warranty policy when I bought it I would have went with 3DR or waited for the GoPro to come out. Instead now I'm stuck with a company that has no intentions to help me out if and when something goes wrong. Like someone else stated earlier. Its only a matter of time before someone copies their traits and comes out with great customer service and that will be the end of DJI. Hopefully its sooner than later. My bet is its going to be GoPro.

It would be a runned down factory in China that attempted to be successful like other billion companies over there. Had I known about this warranty policy when I bought it I would have went with 3DR or waited for the GoPro to come out. Instead now I'm stuck with a company that has no intentions to help me out if and when something goes wrong. Like someone else stated earlier. Its only a matter of time before someone copies their traits and comes out with great customer service and that will be the end of DJI. Hopefully its sooner than later. My bet is its going to be GoPro.

First, it's doubtful that DJI even has a factory. More likely an American firm(s) called Jabil and others make their copter - same firm makes 3DR Solo, Parrot, HP computer stuff, etc.

3DR is having massive problems. It's not even close to ready for market, IMHO. Even if it was, it's a year or so behind the state-of-the-art. However, if you enjoy interactions regularly with customer service, that's a good choice - except it can't do stable video and there are dozens (actually 100's) of promised features and advantages which have been advertised and not delivered. I guess it's a different standard, eh?
Pay almost twice the price and accept less because you can eventually get someone on the phone? Not worth it to me. I don't want to get someone on the phone ever....given the choice.

But you are correct somewhat on the overall situation. I wrote an article over 2 years ago that said the first company that provides "Apple Level" customer service will win the quad game. What I may have forgot to say is that the machine has to work as well as anything else on the market also.

GoPro has a chance at some of the market. But don't fool yourself. It would take years for anyone to grab more than 10-15% of the 80% plus of the $1K (avg) camera/gimbal/quad market that DJI enjoys. Also, GoPro could very well come out with a :"close in" drone made more for sports, follow me, selfies, etc. as opposed to a long range craft like the Phantom(s).

It's an immature market and those who are not willing to accept that should probably stick with toy machines or stay out of the market.

Oh, and that software/firmware disclaimer is quite typical. So the entire premise of this thread rests on nothing - or, more accurately, people who prefer to complain as opposed to helping others or flying.

Reactions: snerd
Had I known about this warranty policy when I bought it I would have went with 3DR or waited for the GoPro to come out. Instead now I'm stuck with a company that has no intentions to help me out if and when something goes wrong. Like someone else stated earlier. Its only a matter of time before someone copies their traits and comes out with great customer service and that will be the end of DJI. Hopefully its sooner than later. My bet is its going to be GoPro.
Had you known the version of warranty policy generated by ill-informed forum chatter?
You would have bought 3DR a deficient product that still hasn't got a gimbal - but they said they will have good service. Or GoPro .. who haven't got anything that flies yet or any record of making drones.
Instead, you're stuck with the product of a company that leads its sector with cutting edge technology way ahead of any of the competition. A company that is no doubt working on updates to fix the current glitches. Yes, it's taking longer than we'd like, but DJI would cop a hiding if their fix still contains more problems.
People complain that they don't test enough and people complain when their testing isn't fast enough.
They still offer the best product out there and at a great price.
The problems that there's so much whinging about are mostly small glitches.
I flew two batteries today 2.5 km out to sea with latest firmware. It's not that bad.

Had you known the version of warranty policy generated by ill-informed forum chatter?
You would have bought 3DR a deficient product that still hasn't got a gimbal - but they said they will have good service. Or GoPro .. who haven't got anything that flies yet or any record of making drones.
Instead, you're stuck with the product of a company that leads its sector with cutting edge technology way ahead of any of the competition. A company that is no doubt working on updates to fix the current glitches. Yes, it's taking longer than we'd like, but DJI would cop a hiding if their fix still contains more problems.
People complain that they don't test enough and people complain when their testing isn't fast enough.
They still offer the best product out there and at a great price.
The problems that there's so much whinging about are mostly small glitches.
I flew two batteries today 2.5 km out to sea with latest firmware. It's not that bad.

Yea I'm stuck with a company thats so cutting edge that they cant even back track to an earlier an earlier firmware ( 1.1.6 or even 1.1.7 ) where majority of people were satisfied. Instead they updated firmware to satisfy a handful of people who were experiencing minor issues. Which now, seems majority of people are left with a bricked $1,300 paper weight or too scared to update because of the so many rumors going around of possible crashes, vps, gimbal, compass and camera issues. Me on other hand was very very satisfied with my 1.1.7 update. I could not find any flaws. Now I'm on 1.1.9 which keeps losing signal at only 500 feet away intermittenly. Minor Vps issues and very choppy live feed at close range so choppy it almost makes it impossible to record professionally like they advertised so well. Yes my issues are very minor compared to others and I dont take that for granted. I'm actually satisfied with the P3 it does everything I want. But, the point is if my P3 behaved better with 1.1.7 I should have the option to rollback because this company is so "cutting edge" and "state of the art". I messed up by updating because I didnt want DJI to blame me for any errors because my system wasnt up to date. Now, I'm taking the advice of veterans who say if you have no problems dont update. The thing is I do have problems now just not as major as some others. I'm also too scared to update because of all the controversy going on with 1.2.6 and 1.2.8 another tip taken from veterans.

Yea I'm stuck with a company thats so cutting edge that they cant even back track to an earlier an earlier firmware ( 1.1.6 or even 1.1.7 ) .. Which now, seems majority of people are left with a bricked $1,300 paper weight or too scared to update because of the so many rumors going around .
The thing is I do have problems now just not as major as some others. I'm also too scared to update because of all the controversy going on with 1.2.6 and 1.2.8 another tip taken from veterans.
DJI tech people are well aware of the issues and you can bet they are working hard to get a solution. They have their reasons for not doing what might seem a simple solution to self-styled forum experts but I'd rather trust the guys that designed the P3 than noisy forum experts.
Meanwhile the majority of P3 owners are happily flying their machines.
A noisy minority are chattering on forums convincing themselves that the P3 is a problem child and DJI are hopeless.
Your comment seems majority of people are left with a bricked $1,300 paper weight is typical of the kind of noisy exaggeration and hyperbole that is common on forums and it's just not true.
You need to learn to filter the chatter to get an understanding of the true situation.

Reactions: snerd
DJI tech people are well aware of the issues and you can bet they are working hard to get a solution. They have their reasons for not doing what might seem a simple solution to self-styled forum experts but I'd rather trust the guys that designed the P3 than noisy forum experts.
Meanwhile the majority of P3 owners are happily flying their machines.
A noisy minority are chattering on forums convincing themselves that the P3 is a problem child and DJI are hopeless.
Your comment seems majority of people are left with a bricked $1,300 paper weight is typical of the kind of noisy exaggeration and hyperbole that is common on forums and it's just not true.
You need to learn to filter the chatter to get an understanding of the true situation.

I would love to update my P3 and would only hope it solves my very minor issues. The problem is all the issues people are experiencing and DJI acknowledging seem to be worse than the issues I'm experiencing. Had I not listened to these "forum experts" or done my research of user related mishaps that DJI did not cover in the very small manual they provided. My P3 would have been long gone already. I like DJI's product. But, I trust people who have years of experience with them. As to bring back the topic of the OP. Japan is not in America. Japan also makes Sony in which has a wide display of products. Including a very popular kids product called the Playstation, keyword "kids" product. Meaning Japan and Sony were well aware of how many kids would own a Playstation. Yet, they still followed America's rules and guidelines to sell electronic products in America it must have a 1 year manufacturer warranty. If they cant abide by "our" (America) rules these products should not be sold in America. Meaning you can still purchase directly from DJI overseas and deal with all the at your own risk disclaimers. But, all the little authorized dealers should not be in business. Unless they have their own limited warranty. Which is not the case because when something goes wrong they deal with DJI directly and ship it out to them. This is a whole different story and if you knew anything about laws and rules you would know that lawyers could attack these small authorized dealers in America and they dont even have to speak a word to DJI. These authorized dealers are making a living selling Chinese products, thats fine. But, they still have to play by American guidelines.

I'm an old guy! 50 something. As a kid I grew up using a compass to navigate. Now I'm flying a drone straight out the box tracking 16 satellites and beaming movie to my iPad FPV.
This is about the best value bang for buck I have ever seen!
I see people here complaining of the thing moves six feet from the home point when landing. Wanting DJI to mop brows and hand over their wife's if the thing doesn't work!
Get real, this is cutting edge, it's electronics and interference sensitive, magnetic and human, so stuff happens.
If we lived in a world without these disclaimers nothing would be invented.
Go flying and stop crying!
Just my two cents worth, no offence meant!

Reactions: Trumple
I'm an old guy! 50 something. As a kid I grew up using a compass to navigate. Now I'm flying a drone straight out the box tracking 16 satellites and beaming movie to my iPad FPV.
This is about the best value bang for buck I have ever seen!
I see people here complaining of the thing moves six feet from the home point when landing. Wanting DJI to mop brows and hand over their wife's if the thing doesn't work!
Get real, this is cutting edge, it's electronics and interference sensitive, magnetic and human, so stuff happens.
If we lived in a world without these disclaimers nothing would be invented.
Go flying and stop crying!
Just my two cents worth, no offence meant!

Yea exceput your missing the whole point of this discussion. I fully agree that people crying because their Phantom doesnt land within the 6 feet radius like its suppose to is childish. But, when DJI tries to update the firmware to correct this issue for the little crybabies and then they messed up causing 1,000s of people left with bricked paperweight machines, that is very unprofessional and then to come out with a disclaimer that if anything goes wrong with your P3 it is not their fault is just plain rude and "illegal" here in America.

So why does the latest firmware work perfectly in my drone and a lot of other people's too and yet not in some? How can that be, it's just software right, so it should work in all of them?so there must be other stuff going on that causes these faults??
What could that be? Local anomalies. Magnetic interference,???? Stuff?

So I have been working in the computer industry for 20+ years, much of it in the military industrial complex, a firmware upgrade typically will include a disclaimer saying the upgrade does have the potential to be a failure. Even when it is a multi-million dollar machine the disclaimer is still there waiting for you to hit the "I Agree" button. Sometimes that button is really really hard to press and the stress level is out of this world I can tell you. It is can be even worse when YOU wrote the firmware upgrade and your talent and reputation is in the balance and it goes online. Mistakes are costly but success is fantastic.

Reactions: Meta4
It's written by humans... what can go wrong???

But, when DJI.. messed up causing 1,000s of people left with bricked paperweight machines, that is very unprofessional.
That's not unprofessional .. it's fictious.
Drew .. there may have been a few (very few) in that situation but there are not thousands or even hundreds. That's the sort of misinformation that fuels this sort of thread but it's plain WRONG.
and then to come out with a disclaimer that if anything goes wrong with your P3 it is not their fault is just plain rude and "illegal" here in America.
And that's a mis-interpretation on your part.
That's a standard disclaimer that you'll find on all kinds of products and services.
You wouldn't take an asprin if you read the disclaimer they have.
DJI do back up their products.
Calm down, put away the pichfork and try to deal with facts rather than whipping up a frenzy based on misinformation.
Take your P3 out and run through a few batteries.

So why does the latest firmware work perfectly in my drone and a lot of other people's too and yet not in some? How can that be, it's just software right, so it should work in all of them?so there must be other stuff going on that causes these faults??
What could that be? Local anomalies. Magnetic interference,???? Stuff?

If it is firmware it is not software. Firmware is by definition software AND it's tangible hardware component. If it was simply software upgrade it would not have been called a firmware upgrade. There are thousands of P3Ps and P3As out in the world today and some, most likely, were manufactured with slightly different components. When DJI comes out with a firmware upgrade they are staking their reputation on the fact their products that the upgrade is designed for will be uniform enough, or their software component of the firmware upgrade is compatible enough to work with all the products they have produced. In their case and in most cases by manufacturers throughout industry, a disclaimer is necessary. These guys are Chinese, they live to different standards than American standards, if you don't like that you should only buy American then you can sue their pants off.

jmho

So I have been working in the computer industry for 20+ years, much of it in the military industrial complex, a firmware upgrade typically will include a disclaimer saying the upgrade does have the potential to be a failure. Even when it is a multi-million dollar machine the disclaimer is still there waiting for you to hit the "I Agree" button. Sometimes that button is really really hard to press and the stress level is out of this world I can tell you. It is can be even worse when YOU wrote the firmware upgrade and your talent and reputation is in the balance and it goes online. Mistakes are costly but success is fantastic.

Very well said. I agree. The thing is if this is only firmware applied it would make sense. But, the P3 being only a couple months old. It should still be covered under a basic 1 year warranty that DJI is trying to neglect and blame it on the firmware disclaimer. After that 1 year warranty goes by anything is up for grabs. I already assumed this as well just like any other electronic product I purchased in America. But, until that 1 year passes they should not be allowed to steal money. At least fix a product that crashes if its their fault. They are a billion dollar company they can afford it. But, then again this isnt my company and I'm glad I didnt make this billion dollar decision that they will pay for heavily. Its only a matter of time til a company steps up with customer service. I think B&H stepped up heavily with being such a big company that they are. They dont want to lose their reputation of selling a possible defective product and not having any type of customer support. Some people said they have credit cards who will reverse the charges. They too stepped up to the plate. Guess what happens if someone purchases a P3 from B&H or using one these credit cards and something goes wrong. They will get their money back or issues a new P3. Guess who will be owning up to the issue. These specific credit cards, B&H and DJI. Thats a well example of great customer service that DJI seems to lack. But, as I stated. If DJI continues to neglect A+ customer service it will only be a matter of time til their demise and I really wouldn't want to go to the grave knowing I had a billion dollar company and died being broke as a joke, speaking to the owner of DJI that is.

This is becoming a regular, several times a day chore now. I am referring to closing threads that have gone way off the rails filled with rumors, cursing, fighting and adolescent behavior. I have never worked on a forum (and that has been a few including owning them), that has such a problem with members fighting amongst themselves. I thought we were here for the camaraderie, the interesting conversations, to discuss the passion that is the Phantom. Lets keep things on topic, non-judgmental, non-confrontational. Problems or issues with the product should be expressed to the product maker, not here as that is not what the forum is for. Lets all have a better day.

2rf90ts.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers