The Better DIY Sunshade for iPhone 6 to 6 Plus Size

Reaction score
Better might be subjective :)

I have tried the common sun hoods and while they add some improvement they also fall well short of providing proper sun shading along with reflection/refraction elimination. The problem is the short box style hoods are prone to such by design.

So through experiment I came up with my own version to eliminate the problems while providing easy quick access to the screen. The solution is a slight angle as opposed to square along with the right length for the angle. This totally removes the reflection/diffraction while also providing shade.

PDF template to size attached along with image sample and first DIY version. Took it out over the weekend to test and its perfect (well perfect compared to all the previous smaller box style ones). I just used thin cardboard (needs to be thin as to not make the back plate too thick for phone clamps) and duct taped over outside for added strength and glued felt on inside. Fixed a velcro strap under the duct tape to secure it simply.

Now if DJI or some other ebay knock off could please make this design 'professionally' I will happily buy it :) Until then I don't care what it looks like as it works better!

IMG_3380.jpg
IMG_3382.jpg
Sunshade.jpg

Attachments

• Sunshade.pdf
    811.6 KB · Views: 811
Dingoz, You are a gentleman and a scholar. Happy to hear it worked so well for you and can't say enough how much I for one appreciate that you took the time to share it with us along with supplying us with the PDF blue print. Big thumbs up.

Joe

Reactions: Dingoz
Added some more dimensions (it is hard to print on an a4 printer - suggest printing multiple pages @ 1:1 from the actual size pdf and cutting joining back together OR draw it from scratch using dimensions and just print out the cut out markers to overlay).

Sunshade Dimensions.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4