that DJI vision app picks its moments!

Reaction score
Generally it's been pretty stable recently, but the vision app crashed on me this morning while the Phantom was 1100 feet away and about 60m offshore (I was filming surfers).

It took a little while to get it back, and I accidentally locked my phone while doing so - which meant swiping a finger over the reader to unlock etc etc. The total time spent faffing & relaunching the app was about a minute.

I can see now why people take a separate phone with them to use as an FPV monitor.

Luckily the skies were clear and I had 11 satellites, so the Phantom stayed put while I fiddled. Next time I'll just flick S1 to RTH.

Another thing I've noticed - my range extender isn't showing it's state of charge on the app anymore. Is this some kind of low battery warning?

Last edited:
Usually if it's not showing . It's not seeing. I would try charging it up then check it again. You can also change the time on the phone for that locking feature. When flying I tell mine to never blank if using my phone. Same goes on my tablet too. Takes a little more battery power but same me fumbling to get it back up.

I forgot to mention I also had my first spurious low voltage warning a few seconds after takeoff - the lights were blinking red, but the DJI app was showing 96% as the SOC. I brought the Phantom back to me, still in the hover, to check the LEDs on the back of the battery & I still had 4.

Very odd. I hand-caught & restarted it and the lights reverted to two green. It was absolutely fine for the next 15 minutes & I stopped flying at around 30%.

Is this the first indication that I have a duff battery? Should I consider only using it during 'non mission' flights?

The only solution is test and retest. I would keep a watchful eye on that battery. Keeping note of its flight time and any strange behavior like dropping from 65% down to 30 % real quick. Check it all around for puffy ness. I'd keep her close on this battery until you can build confidence that the battery is solid. Enjoy flying!

Last edited:
Reactions: cjmwales
Generally it's been pretty stable recently, but the vision app crashed on me this morning while the Phantom was 1100 feet away and about 60m offshore (I was filming surfers).

It took a little while to get it back, and I accidentally locked my phone while doing so - which meant swiping a finger over the reader to unlock etc etc. The total time spent faffing & relaunching the app was about a minute.

I can see now why people take a separate phone with them to use as an FPV monitor.

Luckily the skies were clear and I had 11 satellites, so the Phantom stayed put while I fiddled. Next time I'll just flick S1 to RTH.

Another thing I've noticed - my range extender isn't showing it's state of charge on the app anymore. Is this some kind of low battery warning?
Hi, do you have the footage posted anywhere? I surf and plan to video surfers too.

I went through that same glitch. I found the battery contacts were a little dirty. Nothing you can see. Now I use a spray electrical contact cleaner. Last week it went through a low fog, when I grabbed it I could see drops of water on the external antennas. Pulled the battery and card and gave it a good spray. 2 hr. later no adverse affects.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31