Super bowl drones

Reaction score
This morning the Today Show had a news video showing several several police captured drones on a table. Most appeared to be dji ldrones... it's been posted a no fly zone! Come on people, use you heads!

Reactions: UpLift Aerial
Could have been a staged table setting. Great way to provide a warning.
I kinda go along the lines of believe none of what you hear and half of what you see.
I don't believe it was... there are many reports from police and security in the area all stating the same thing... but you're entitled to your opinion.

I pondered, much too late, over whether a variance might’ve been applied for and obtained. I’m in the Atlanta area. It would have been some sweet images for sure. Atl and the Mercedes Benz Stadium have went all out for the show.

But I just read today that the $23 million bridge over the four lane road from the Marta station across from the dome that was special built for the Super Bowl has been closed for “security concerns”. Unless you have “zee papers pleaze”. So I doubt a lowly drone operator would stand a chance at gaining access even to the sidewalks.

And there are so many airports, military and civilian, as well as every hospital has a heliport, even the veterinary clinics have heliports. Hard to find clear airspace where you don’t have to make the call.

Tough to find a place to fly downtown anymore at all. Anyone have any insight or advice, other than “screw them what are they gonna do” or “they probably won’t even know you were there”?

Thanks!

Reactions: wildmantwo
I pondered, much too late, over whether a variance might’ve been applied for and obtained. I’m in the Atlanta area. It would have been some sweet images for sure. Atl and the Mercedes Benz Stadium have went all out for the show.

But I just read today that the $23 million bridge over the four lane road from the Marta station across from the dome that was special built for the Super Bowl has been closed for “security concerns”. Unless you have “zee papers pleaze”. So I doubt a lowly drone operator would stand a chance at gaining access even to the sidewalks.

And there are so many airports, military and civilian, as well as every hospital has a heliport, even the veterinary clinics have heliports. Hard to find clear airspace where you don’t have to make the call.

Tough to find a place to fly downtown anymore at all. Anyone have any insight or advice, other than “screw them what are they gonna do” or “they probably won’t even know you were there”?

Thanks!
Sure, go ahead and fly in ... I mean after all the only thing that will happen are stricter laws and more restriction for those of us that do follow the rules! Good grief!!!!!

Don’t know what the Georgia drone laws are. In Florida you could fly over stadium (as long as you don’t violate airspace restrictions) except for 1 hour before and 1 hour after event.
There is a TFR 9/5088 NOTAM Details in Atlanta for today and tomorrow as well. So unless you are not allowed to fly your drone over stadiums in Georgia at any time, why were this drones captured, there was no TFR in Atlanta for February 1st. And if Georgia state laws prohibits drones to be flown over stadiums at any time, then why include them in the TFR’s.

Reactions: ShaunMac
This morning the Today Show had a news video showing several several police captured drones on a table. Most appeared to be dji ldrones... it's been posted a no fly zone! Come on people, use you heads!
You are preaching to the choir.;)

Thanks!

Sure, go ahead and fly in ... I mean after all the only thing that will happen are stricter laws and more restriction for those of us that do follow the rules! Good grief!!!!!

@Rick218
In defense of @Newt59, it sounds like you are slamming him, but he wasn't offering those up as options. He was asking for options aside from those....

I look at the footage from all the news places I could find and got a screenshot of this FBI table. Here they are. From the 6, I could identify as 3 being Mavics, 1 Phantom, and 1 Spark. I can't see very well what the 6th one is. DJI is winning (or losing?) here.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

None of the confiscated drone pilots were Part 107 pilots.
Drones restricted around Mercedes-Benz Stadium for Super Bowl LIII in Atlanta

Last edited:
Don’t know what the Georgia drone laws are. In Florida you could fly over stadium (as long as you don’t violate airspace restrictions) except for 1 hour before and 1 hour after event.
There is a TFR 9/5088 NOTAM Details in Atlanta for today and tomorrow as well. So unless you are not allowed to fly your drone over stadiums in Georgia at any time, why were this drones captured, there was no TFR in Atlanta for February 1st. And if Georgia state laws prohibits drones to be flown over stadiums at any time, then why include them in the TFR’s.
Argue with the FBI in regards to the TFR....SUPER BOWL DRONES: FBI: Drone pilots caught flying in Super Bowl area face fines, jail time

I’ve shown you where the info is.

Not interested in excuses.

Don’t see the point debating any further.

I’ve shown you where the info is.

Not interested in excuses.

Don’t see the point debating any further.

You did and I thank you for it.
I checked the link on tfr’s on Wednesday, January 30th, and I did not see any tfr’s for the dates I quoted.
TFR over Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Anyone intending to fly within 30 miles of Mercedes-Benz stadium February 3rd will not be able to fly between 3pm-12am
CBP Patrolling No-Fly Zone during Super Bowl 53 | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Here are the NOTAMS for the area with different times given from link above.
[URL='https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_5089.html']9/5089 NOTAM Details
[URL='https://tfr.faa.gov/save_pages/detail_9_5231.html']9/5231 NOTAM Details
https://phantompilots.com/index.php?posts/1421927/
[/URL][/URL]

You did and I thank you for it.
I checked the link on tfr’s on Wednesday, January 30th, and I did not see any tfr’s for the dates I quoted.
TFR over Mercedes-Benz Stadium
Anyone intending to fly within 30 miles of Mercedes-Benz stadium February 3rd will not be able to fly between 3pm-12am
CBP Patrolling No-Fly Zone during Super Bowl 53 | U.S. Customs and Border Protection
Here are the NOTAMS for the area with different times given from link above.

9/5089 NOTAM Details
9/5231 NOTAM Details
https://phantompilots.com/index.php?posts/1421927/
My apologies for my curt response earlier. At first blush it seemed as though u were making excuses fir the offenders.

Cheers!

Reactions: skymonkey
Interesting to see both the drones and controllers on the table.

It would seem like the Atlanta FBI and other law enforcement agencies caught these irresponsible drone pilots red handed and took everything from them.

I thought the FBI , Secret Service, and others had nets fired at flying drones and other ways of capturing drones while airborne. Perhaps jamming devices?
I would have thought that at an event as huge as the Super Bowl these types of things would be used.

If so, then, if they can't actually catch the pilot flying the drone, they sure can catch the drone in flight.

Then we might see some drones on the table without their controllers.

NBC News did run a story about 2 months ago about a drone security company that had their own drones which could 'catch' drones by coming close to other drones and firing nets which would disable the offending drone.

Next time we see a news video showing captured drones on a table on display, it would be interesting to see if every one of them had a controller.

Post made yesterday talk about drones confiscated for flying in a TFR.
Just can’t seem to find the TFR that these guys are accused of violating.
The one they’re referencing 9/5088 NOTAM Details has a start date of February 2, 2019 @ 10:00 am eastern time to 11:59 pm.
So, the FBI over reaching? Good luck with that! Case dismissed, next!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj