Studying for Part 107 Test

Reaction score
I've been an aerial photographer for years and have logged many hours as a passenger in Cessnas and Robinson helicopters, and although I'm not a pilot I have picked up some things along the way, but there is much I don't know and want to be prepared for the test. I have the Pilot's Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge. It's interesting but it's huge. I would like to know what are the most important parts to study to prepare for the test.

I have a theory I'm tempted to act on, but I don't want to have to take the test twice. After seeing some examples online, I feel that I can with certainty choose the correct answer to 50% of the questions. But 50% is not enough. However, it seems that one of the three choices is obviously wrong, so after ruling that one out, if I make a guess, I'll get half correct of the 50% I don't know, resulting in a passing score of 75%.

I know that's a minimalist way of approaching it, but it would be interesting to see if it works, though not so interesting if I have to do the test and pay $150 again.

Which "50%" of the questions are you unsure about?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

All I remember I felt certain about half the sample questions. I don't remember any specifics.

Do you have any idea what parts of that book would be best to study?

I used a part 107 guide, so I can't honestly tell you how to study for it from the Pilot's Handbook.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: smills
You can find some study resources that were made specifically for the FAA Part 107 test here.

Sounds like you are walking yourself off a cliff! As has been discussed often here, many of the test answers sound reasonable even though they are wron (there based on the kinds of mistakes students have made in the past). You really want to go into the test knowing the material. At $150 a pop, you really don't want to be retaking the test. Scan back through the various posts on this forum and you will fill a bunch of both free and paid resources that you can use to properly prepare.

I appreciate the link to the resources. I took part of the online sample test and have been scoring slightly higher than 70%, so I'm going to do some studying to give myself a little breathing room. Test is tomorrow.

I don't understand why those of us who want to use drones for business need to pass this test and others don't. I understand a need for safety, but why wouldn't those who are hobbyists need to know the same things? I don't get it.

I passed. Barely. 72%. Two more incorrect answers and I would have failed. They've given about 50 tests so far at my testing center and there has been 1 failure. I have the dubious distinction of having the lowest passing score.

My theory posed in my first post was proven in a way, but I would not have passed, had I not gone through many of the questions on the sample test first. Thank you msinger for providing the link. I think I got 2 or 3 right that would have been wrong had I not done the practice test and reviewed my incorrect answers.

I recommend that anyone who anticipates taking this test to take it seriously. You're not going to pass if you have no aviation knowledge, and it would be good if you had a systematic way to study (which I did not have). Based on my test, I would recommend really knowing and understanding air spaces.

You're not going to pass if you have no aviation knowledge...

I must be the exception then...I had no aviation knowledge (or license) before taking this test. Knowing that I had no knowledge, I did study for a solid week beforehand, probably 25 or 30 hours total. Aced the test. (Nobody was more surprised than me.)

Took my test today scored a 90 most of my question were airspace and tafs no metar and alot on adm alot of my questions matched closely to the faa practice test but worded different

Sent from my SM-G930V using PhantomPilots mobile app

I must be the exception then...I had no aviation knowledge (or license) before taking this test. Knowing that I had no knowledge, I did study for a solid week beforehand, probably 25 or 30 hours total. Aced the test. (Nobody was more surprised than me.)

Congrats, but you did have aviation knowledge after doing your studying.

I didn't mean you had to have experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav