Still Pictures not in focus

Reaction score
So I just got my p4p and I have been taking some stills with it and they are not in focus. Shooting raw in auto. I thought it was me initially when in "A" priority but I set it on the table with the props off and they are still blurry. I have a shoot on Monday and didn't want to have to use my mavic. Any suggestions? The jpeg's seem a little better than the raws. the first one is a raw converted to jpeg the second is a straight jpeg
DJI_0019-1.jpg
DJI_0019-1.jpg DJI_0027.JPG

I cant tell anything from those on the phone right now but will ask a few questions to start.
How are you focusing?
What are you focusing on?

tap on the device screen to select the point of focus or you can toggle on/ off the AFC

Yes I have been using auto focus. Tried manual and it didn't seem to work either but that was inside my house and I figured the distance was too short to properly work. Gonna go put it in air out front and try it again.

So I guess i'm just overthinking this and my expectations are too high. I shot these in auto, jpeg/raw, adjusted for exposure and used auto focus before each shot. The raws look horrible but when I put them in photoshop and increase the sharpness they look fine. These are the jpegs, when zoomed in about 25% they still look pretty good so I guess this is acceptable. One thing I noticed is the peaking focus threshold, I have it on max and there isn't a whole lot of red everywhere in my screen. My mavic is full of red when I use it. Do these look typical for a p4p?

Attachments

• DJI_0031.JPG
    DJI_0031.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 305
  • DJI_0033.JPG
    DJI_0033.JPG
    7.2 MB · Views: 325
  • DJI_0035.JPG
    DJI_0035.JPG
    7.5 MB · Views: 294
So I guess i'm just overthinking this and my expectations are too high. I shot these in auto, jpeg/raw, adjusted for exposure and used auto focus before each shot. The raws look horrible but when I put them in photoshop and increase the sharpness they look fine. These are the jpegs, when zoomed in about 25% they still look pretty good so I guess this is acceptable. One thing I noticed is the peaking focus threshold, I have it on max and there isn't a whole lot of red everywhere in my screen. My mavic is full of red when I use it. Do these look typical for a p4p?

From my point of view they do look representative of the P4P camera, the sweet spot with most lenses is around f8

So I just got my p4p and I have been taking some stills with it and they are not in focus. Shooting raw in auto. I thought it was me initially when in "A" priority but I set it on the table with the props off and they are still blurry. I have a shoot on Monday and didn't want to have to use my mavic. Any suggestions? The jpeg's seem a little better than the raws. the first one is a raw converted to jpeg the second is a straight jpegView attachment 96915 View attachment 96915 View attachment 96916
Your subject and lighting aren't a good indication of how the camera will perform from the air.
In your sample shots you have elements from 1.5 to 5 metres away.
You will never shoot a scene like that when you are flying.
You'll never focus that close or have objects at different distances to focus on - everything is going to be 15 metres or more away.
Wait till you fly and you'll find the camera is just fine.

From my point of view they do look representative of the P4P camera, the sweet spot with most lenses is around f8

I gotta disagree about F8 being sweet spot on most lenses. Maybe most cheap lenses. ;)

Ive read in several places that it is f/5.6 on these P4P lenses.

Yes I’ve heard the f/8 number too when it comes to 35mm SLR lenses. But for some reason numerous people say 5.6 for the P4P

Ive read in several places that it is f/5.6 on these P4P lenses.
Yes I’ve heard the f/8 number too when it comes to 35mm SLR lenses. But for some reason numerous people say 5.6 for the P4P
People just keep repeating the same stuff whether they know or not.
There is no single "sweet spot) for the P4 pro camera.
It's sweet from full open to 5.6 and it's still pretty good beyond that.

Reactions: svjobeth
Reactions: Lefty63
I gotta disagree about F8 being sweet spot on most lenses. Maybe most cheap lenses. ;)

Most of my Canon L's

Yes, your probably right but on my 50L 1.2 , I need to stop it down unless I'm going for a bokeh type shot

I own plenty of L glass... “Sweet spot” IMHO is relative. My 300L 2.8 is probably F5.6... My 400L 2.8 is probably more like F4.5. But it just depends on the look you’re going for... I know many cheap/small lenses start showing diffraction as early as F11 and in some cases F8. Since we’re talking about small sensors and wide angled glass with most drones, I am assuming it would be faster than F8...but it was just a guess... ;)

Reactions: Lefty63

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DonT