State of Arkansas "cracking down" on UAV Camera operation.

Reaction score
So my wife works for the Washington County Prosecutors office here in Arkansas and she is off in Little Rock at a 2 day conference and she just sent and text with this photo telling me that this goes into effect on July 22, 2015. She said this part of the conference was all about new bills that effect Law Enforcement.....well as if we didn't have enough to worry about with the LEOs...now they have the State of Arkansas giving them the law to back them up to check us out when they see us flying our camera equipped Phantoms.....just great!! Enjoy the flying while you can boys....if your state or country is anything like mine, harassment from the LEO while you fly may soon get to the point that you want to just give up the hobby.

IMG_6558.JPG

Definitely appreciate the news.

In reality is this any different than using a van with mirrored windows? Or my iPhone from a balcony? Voyeurism is the crime, not flying a drone with a camera. I can't say I disagree with the law.

The last six words make it nearly impossible to do [violate law] with a Phantom.

Whirring, buzzing, with flashing lights.

No, you probably have a point, I wouldn't say "In reality" is isn't at all. I just wonder how many times people who are completely innocent are going to get unnecessarily questioned, harassed or possibly even have their equipment confiscated. Over some LEOs judgement call, when you're totally innocent. This is one of the reasons I never fly my Phantom in areas where it could be suspicious, I try to only fly it over open fields completely away from houses, parks or people in general.

It makes sense to me that with this new technology, more laws will be developed like this one to ensure our privacy is protected.
I don't see this as an end to our hobby however.

As an example last week here in Washington State it was in the news that a drone was used to spy on neighbors. I thought to myself "great, another reactionary media hack job" until I read the article. Seems the teenage and younger children have reported seeing a "drone" hover outside their window watching them play video games, when they look at the drone, it flies away. Then the parents were having a BBQ and reported that the drone watched them from an elevation of 8 feet, hovering in front of their garage, they walked towards it in a threatening manner and it took off. They called the police who interviewed the drone owner. Then the news interviewed the drone owner who refused to be filmed on camera but claimed his innocence as he "...stayed 20 feet away from the window, the garage and the people I was watching, I did nothing illegal!"
I just couldn't believe that this idiot thought it was fine to spy/stare via drone at this neighbors as long as he stayed 20 feet away! Yeah, we probably need laws to protect us from these idiots.

The last six words make it nearly impossible to do [violate law] with a Phantom.

Whirring, buzzing, with flashing lights.
If you are referring to what I think you are, that is "Flown in a manner to escape detection" then I thought that at first too, but after I thought more about it and thought about in "Lawyer speak", I'm pretty sure (and I could be wrong) what they are referring to here would more along the lines of if you were flying your drone over an area a distance from yourself, to where the person who felt that they were being videoed couldn't figure out where the drone operator was......at least that's how I interpret it.

It makes sense to me that with this new technology, more laws will be developed like this one to ensure our privacy is protected.
I don't see this as an end to our hobby however.

As an example last week here in Washington State it was in the news that a drone was used to spy on neighbors. I thought to myself "great, another reactionary media hack job" until I read the article. Seems the teenage and younger children have reported seeing a "drone" hover outside their window watching them play video games, when they look at the drone, it flies away. Then the parents were having a BBQ and reported that the drone watched them from an elevation of 8 feet, hovering in front of their garage, they walked towards it in a threatening manner and it took off. They called the police who interviewed the drone owner. Then the news interviewed the drone owner who refused to be filmed on camera but claimed his innocence as he "...stayed 20 feet away from the window, the garage and the people I was watching, I did nothing illegal!"
I just couldn't believe that this idiot thought it was fine to spy/stare via drone at this neighbors as long as he stayed 20 feet away! Yeah, we probably need laws to protect us from these idiots.

I completely agree that we do need laws in affect to protect us from idiots, I'm just paranoid that the LEOs will use this as an excuse to bagger anyone they see flying them no matter the situation as to totally deter them from wanting to fly them....hopefully I'm TOTALLY and completely wrong, but idk, I just wonder if I'm seeing the beginning of the end of enjoying flying mine here in Arkansas.

Before getting my first quad I had often said if I saw one flying over my property I'd shoot it down (however I was referring more to Govt. drones than personal ;) but I still might do that... in either case), depending on the situation. I try to avoid it but if I fly over someone's property it will be quite high, or at least not in a position where it could be intrusive...

With the type of lenses most of these consumer quads have it would be nearly impossible to get a picture or video of anything "compromising" without being in really close, and being fairly still. I'd suggest anyone who sees a quad hovering low over their home or hovering outside their window do some bird hunting.

Maybe I should mention I live in the country. As I see it this is a rural activity not really good in populated or city areas (and I have lived in NYC, Boston and other cities). Sometimes I like to go out back in my yard and shoot my shotgun or other guns for target practice but I would not have done that in the city for similar reasons.

I see no way the government(s) will be able to effectively regulate this activity. Some people may get in trouble but as the sales of these things are skyrocketing (heheh no pun intended) it will be impossible for the powers that be to really enforce much of anything.

Having said that I hate all the laws and think it's unfortunate that we should need them. The media and the lawyers have the most to gain.

Last edited:
I completely agree that we do need laws in affect to protect us from idiots, I'm just paranoid that the LEOs will use this as an excuse to bagger anyone they see flying them no matter the situation as to totally deter them from wanting to fly them....hopefully I'm TOTALLY and completely wrong, but idk, I just wonder if I'm seeing the beginning of the end of enjoying flying mine here in Arkansas.
Yep it is going to happen some now think they are superman all I can say is have a cam on yourself to get the way it goes down because we know they don't lie or make things up :rolleyes: . I said SOME not all ;)
I think it will be funny if a LEO starts on me and I don't have a cam on the bird because I do fly without sometimes :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic