Sport mode or regular when low battery

Yes, its all about mathematics, finding the sweet spot, and the crossing line.
Its easy to find out, as power can be measured in units, both input and output.
Use the mah units for your test, cause that would be the most accurate way to measure it, not the %.

Start at 500m out, fex, take note of the remaining mah on your battery, test 3 different speeds, full, medium, slow, then see which speed consumes less mah on the given distance.
I doubt the different flight modes will make any difference, if any at all, the energy consumption pr minute, will still be the same at any given headspeed (prop rpm) no matter the wind speed.
In a headwind situation, the airspeed will just increase, but not the ground speed, the prop and motor efficiency are still the same.
That said, the difference between P mode and S, is that Sport mode allows a higher attacking angle and higher rpm, so the test should be done in that mode, to measure the difference between max and min.

If you do the test in calm weather (zero wind), you can later easily calculate how much longer it will take in a 5ms headwind, when you know the distance and the max ground speed.
In zero wind, ground speed and airspeed will be the same, and therefore easy to calculate. Given that you are flying at a MSL altitude.

A prop efficiency depends very much of the pitch, size and engine power, the same way it works for boats, some have better acceleration, but lower top speed, others are opposite, so its hard to say what speed its most efficient at.

Since "Neven" made his test on a P3P? It would be interesting to do a new test on the P4P, as i assume both motors and props have different efficiency and output graph.
If i have the time one day, i will do it too...

Instead of flying with sweaty palms and shaky hands, its much better to return well within the limits of the remaining power. I find 30 mins flight time way more than enough, i rarely fly longer than 20 mins anyway, even that feels long enough to me, enough to land and take a break :)

Yes, its all about mathematics, finding the sweet spot, and the crossing line.
Its easy to find out, as power can be measured in units, both input and output.
Use the mah units for your test, cause that would be the most accurate way to measure it, not the %.

Start at 500m out, fex, take note of the remaining mah on your battery, test 3 different speeds, full, medium, slow, then see which speed consumes less mah on the given distance.
I doubt the different flight modes will make any difference, if any at all, the energy consumption pr minute, will still be the same at any given headspeed (prop rpm) no matter the wind speed.
In a headwind situation, the airspeed will just increase, but not the ground speed, the prop and motor efficiency are still the same.
That said, the difference between P mode and S, is that Sport mode allows a higher attacking angle and higher rpm, so the test should be done in that mode, to measure the difference between max and min.

If you do the test in calm weather (zero wind), you can later easily calculate how much longer it will take in a 5ms headwind, when you know the distance and the max ground speed.
In zero wind, ground speed and airspeed will be the same, and therefore easy to calculate. Given that you are flying at a MSL altitude.

A prop efficiency depends very much of the pitch, size and engine power, the same way it works for boats, some have better acceleration, but lower top speed, others are opposite, so its hard to say what speed its most efficient at.

Since "Neven" made his test on a P3P? It would be interesting to do a new test on the P4P, as i assume both motors and props have different efficiency and output graph.
If i have the time one day, i will do it too...

Instead of flying with sweaty palms and shaky hands, its much better to return well within the limits of the remaining power. I find 30 mins flight time way more than enough, i rarely fly longer than 20 mins anyway, even that feels long enough to me, enough to land and take a break :)

Tests were done on P3P. I have P4P now and can load same Litchi missions to test. That way I will not only have P4P battery data but also good view in difference between the two. I just need some decent weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Reactions: Meta4 and gr8pics
Tests were done on P3P. I have P4P now and can load same Litchi missions to test. That way I will not only have P4P battery data but also good view in difference between the two. I just need some decent weather conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
@neven did you ever run your P4P through your Litchi mission to compare it with the P3P and find the most efficient speed for the P4P. I assume that the results would be applicable to the P4 as well, since the mechanical specs are almost identical apart from the more powerful battery.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robvalduga