Sony QX10 in Parallel for 20 MP tele shots.

Reaction score
I am thinking of giving up on WIFI for the Sony QX10 control and setting up a hardware based intervalometer. The Phantom onboard camera will provide FPV as the Sony shoots a 20 MP still with Optical stabilized zoom every 5 secs.

Anybody have experience with a Hardware driven Intervalometer in series with the shutter button ?

Martib said:
I am thinking of giving up on WIFI for the Sony QX10 control and setting up a hardware based intervalometer. The Phantom onboard camera will provide FPV as the Sony shoots a 20 MP still with Optical stabilized zoom every 5 secs.

Anybody have experience with a Hardware driven Intervalometer in series with the shutter button ?

I have not used this camera but just from looking at photos online I have an idea.
1. If you can plug in a remote shutter release button then skip to step 4. If not then....
2. take the camera apart and connect some wires to the built in shutter release button. One wire to one side of the switch one to the other.
3. Have those wires connect to a female mono mini headphone jack.
4. plug in a pocket wizard or other wireless camera trigger set to rx.
5. have the tx camera trigger on you.
6. press the button every time you want to take a photo.

Since I have never used this camera I don't know for sure if it will work, but I think it will.

ResevorDG said:
Martib said:

I have not used this camera but just from looking at photos online I have an idea.
1. If you can plug in a remote shutter release button then skip to step 4. If not then....
2. take the camera apart and connect some wires to the built in shutter release button. One wire to one side of the switch one to the other.

Since I have never used this camera I don't know for sure if it will work, but I think it will.

Hi Jason,

That sounds like a great solution , thank you very much !!! There is no port for a shutter release on the QX10 but I will make one...
Do you know how much the receiver weighs ?

Martib said:
ResevorDG said:
Martib said:

Hi Jason,

That sounds like a great solution , thank you very much !!! There is no port for a shutter release on the QX10 but I will make one...
Do you know how much the receiver weighs ?

The ones I use are both expensive and very heavy, about 130g. Most of that weight is batteries. 2 AA.

There are ones like this that are both cheap an light weight. 2 AAA batteries.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/7 ... eless.html

I would bet with some looking you can find some that are even lighter.

OR.... 2AAA batteries make 3v. You may be able to pull that power from your sonyQX10? Then you don't have the added weight of two more AAAs. Not sure if the weight is worth the trouble but it could be.

If you don't have the camera yet, consider the Samsung NX1100. It's an APS-C sensor camera, with all the mod-cons like wifi and interchangeable lenses but it only weights 119g ... less than the P2V camera.

MonsieurAnon said:
If you don't have the camera yet, consider the Samsung NX1100. It's an APS-C sensor camera, with all the mod-cons like wifi and interchangeable lenses but it only weights 119g ... less than the P2V camera.

Did you get the NX1100? Does it support simultaneous video and interval still capture like the GoPro?

I have used a mechanical shutter link to the 7th channel on My Phantom 2NV in Order to press the Button on mu mobile phone. Worked perfectly till i crash Yesterday from a few meters when Phantom Lost gps and it started wobbling and circling around. Nothing serious though, but i guess it was a matter of Too much unbalanced weight, so i am now building a different Gear to have the camera in the center of gravity of phantom

Sent from my lumia 1020 using Tapatalk

gpauk said:
MonsieurAnon said:

Did you get the NX1100? Does it support simultaneous video and interval still capture like the GoPro?

I have it now but I haven't printed the mount yet (WIP).

It doesn't support simultaneous video and stills and it's wifi range is typical (30m), and can only do stills.

However ... if I can rig up a button pressing device, it would be possible, even easy, to stop video (main button) then take a photo (same button) ... restarting video will be the difficult part. Photo quality is seriously excellent though!

MonsieurAnon said:
gpauk said:
MonsieurAnon said:

I have it now but I haven't printed the mount yet (WIP).

It doesn't support simultaneous video and stills and it's wifi range is typical (30m), and can only do stills.

However ... if I can rig up a button pressing device, it would be possible, even easy, to stop video (main button) then take a photo (same button) ... restarting video will be the difficult part. Photo quality is seriously excellent though!

Ok.. What would be nice is to find a small wifi range extender and add a decent antenna, keep it light enough to carry on the Phantom... Should be possible, take one out of it's box and just shrink wrap it for protection..
Then we could get decent range....

What about ditching the wifi from the QX10 and using a small flyshark or other FVP setup with a cheap camera mounted to the QX10 to give you an idea of what you are looking at. Then use a remote trigger to fire the QX10 to take the keeper photo?

It seems like you could mount the QX10 directly to the bottom of the Phantoms mount, this way you use the same servo to tilt the QX10 up and down. Then keep the little fpv pinhole camera mounted to the face of the Qx10 just to the side of the QX10's lens.

So I found out some bad news; Samsung had a misprint on their website, listing the stock lenses weight instead of the camera. It's actually around the same weight as a Sony Nex-5n ... but a few people are flying with those anyway ... and it's still a much cheaper camera, which makes it ideal for what you guys are suggesting.

Something I am intending to experiment with once I at least get it up in the air taking shots.

I've seen some photos from an IR photography blog of someone pulling apart an older Samsung NX and it seems like the board and components are only half the camera's width. The battery is quite lightweight and seems to have some fairly generic connectors. So my long term project will be to produce a prototype casing for the NX1100 that is lighterweight and slimmer. I'll have to think about things like how to power it (can the P2V camera cable handle it?) and how to attach or detach the buttons and screen. But I'm doubting any of that is insurmountable.

Hi Guys

Thanks for your great input , and for the great advice...! Despite what the Sony guy says (in this thread somewhere) , it is possible to get a range extender working with the QX 10 :lol: .. this is done by Spoofing the SSID on the Range Extender to look like the Sony Camera. I managed to get about 40 M range.. enough for what I want to shoot. If the WIFI drops out , it is possible to fly the Phantom close and reset... I will be test flying tomorrow..
Just to keep you interested I have attached a comparison still photo from the Phantom Camera (Left) and the QX10 , I resized the PHantom wide shot to resemble the 10X optical zoom on the Sony for a comparison of the telescopic range.. I am only interested so I can take shots of Mobile towers from a plan view (Directly down). The Sony Play memories software does suck though.... I am using Sony "Timelapse" Android app. The developer does answer Q's and assist where possible...

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    85.5 KB · Views: 1,377
tknquad said:
I have used a mechanical shutter link to the 7th channel on My Phantom 2NV in Order to press the Button on mu mobile phone. Worked perfectly till i crash Yesterday from a few meters when Phantom Lost gps and it started wobbling and circling around. Nothing serious though, but i guess it was a matter of Too much unbalanced weight, so i am now building a different Gear to have the camera in the center of gravity of phantom

Sorry to hear about your Crash.. What Camera were you using with Mechanical Shutter ?

Martib said:
tknquad said:

Sorry to hear about your Crash.. What Camera were you using with Mechanical Shutter ?

I am using my mobile phone, the lumia 1020, which takes shots at 41mpx and they are beautiful, compared to gopro or anything similar. the phone weight is 159 gr and the gear is about 90 gr. i managed in the weekend to move it below the body of the phantom, but then I had to get rid of some vibration absorbers and so pictures are blurry. unfortunately there isn't enough space between the landing gears, so I need to change them and use something like simensays or similar.
the alternative to the shutter is an intervalometer app, but then, possibily as a limitation of the phone camera, the focus is fixed. So I have still work to do, but my goal is the same, take very good stills with dji phantom.

Meanwhile I found this link. it is in italian but you can see is talking about a nikon coolpix attached to the phantom 1.1.1 and interestingly it is provided by the nikon italian distributor, showing that they are trying to do something for the drones. I am sure in the near future there will be a special very light camera capable of hi quality pictures like gopro is good for videos.
http://images.nital.it/nikonschool/expe ... -aeree.pdf

Hi Guys,,,

With the 2.4 ghz wifi repeater mounted on the PHantom , I tried a test flight... It crashed on takeoff, it seemed to drift then went down, despite full power... I think the wifi even at 2.4 Ghz not 5.8 Ghz (control ch) was overwelming the control ?

Anyway , I will abandon the repeater idea and get a remote shutter working using something like this..

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php ... cts_id=128

Re: Sony QX10 in Parallel for 20 MP tele shots

The new Draganfly Gardian at dragonfly.com offers then qx100 as a payload options. They offer zoom, shutter release and shooting modes all from there platform. I contacted them and asked how they accomplish it, they said it was all through there 2.4 ghz control. So it's possible the platform on the qx100 must support advance remote controls.

Re: Sony QX10 in Parallel for 20 MP tele shots

djscoutmaster said:
The new Draganfly Gardian at dragonfly.com offers then qx100 as a payload options. They offer zoom, shutter release and shooting modes all from there platform. I contacted them and asked how they accomplish it, they said it was all through there 2.4 ghz control. So it's possible the platform on the qx100 must support advance remote controls.

Not sure why they would use a QX100... The unit looks good spec..however the QX10 is much lighter and has a 10X optical zoom range.... While soldering the very small shutter pins the ribbon cable on my QX10 was damaged... Have to start again by ordering a new one !..
So it goes with modding I suppose !

Now for GIS capability ! Any advise ?

Martib said:
Hi Guys,,,

With the 2.4 ghz wifi repeater mounted on the PHantom , I tried a test flight... It crashed on takeoff, it seemed to drift then went down, despite full power... I think the wifi even at 2.4 Ghz not 5.8 Ghz (control ch) was overwelming the control ?

Anyway , I will abandon the repeater idea and get a remote shutter working using something like this..

http://www.nghobbies.com/cart/index.php ... cts_id=128

Any luck getting that remote RC shutter cable working with the phantom's systems?

Martib, can You tell what kind of repeater You used and settings? i have tried to connect repeater but without success.

voicis said:
Martib, can You tell what kind of repeater You used and settings? i have tried to connect repeater but without success.
Hi Voicis

I used a DLINK DAP1320 , you must change the last 3 digits in the SSID after copying it from the Sony QX10... If you find a way to get more than 40 Meters range please let me know.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl