Some New Rocketry Photos

Reaction score
I took my Phantom 2 Vision to the inaugural GRITS "Winternationals" regional rocket launch this weekend in Southern Georgia. The weather didn't cooperate and turned the three-day event into a one-day launch. But, the weather that one good day wasn't bad and I was able to fly the 'copter many times.

Because the event was compressed into one day, the rockets were launched quicker than normal. As soon as one set of launch pads was full of rockets ready to fly, they were launched as rockets were set up on other pads. Even though I had two batteries charging while I used a third, it made it harder for me to ensure that the Vision was in the air for some of the launches. For example, I missed capturing the launch of a massive 1/2 scale V-2 which flew on a cluster of three motors - one O and two Ms - as I had to land to change the battery.

It's going to take me a while to process and edit the video, but I've posted still photos at:

http://www.rocketreviews.com/grits-wint ... -2014.html

Here's an example:

The organizers of the event have used the above photo on the home page of their web site (http://www.gritslaunch.com/).

For some reason, I forgot to set the camera to the mode where it captures multiple frames each time you trigger the shutter. So, I missed some shots that I might have captured otherwise. And, I captured video most of the time, so I don't have a large number of stills to show.

The helicopter attracted some attention. I thought it was most cool that the land owner had read about multirotors and talked with me about how they could be used on his farm.

The 'copter even shows up in photos that others took at the event (see: http://berrien.smugmug.com/GRITS-Georgi ... -3zrWrwv/A for an example).

The ground was muddy and covered by cut-off cotton plants, so I I landed and took off from the lid of a plastic storage box. I landed more than a dozen times and only tipped the 'copter over once.

I flew farther away than I have before. I didn't fly any higher than before (though we had a 22,000' waiver <grin>) because I didn't think I needed to and the winds were more gusty at altitude.

I only had the camera signal drop a couple of times and was able to recover it by yawing the 'copter. The control signal dropped a couple of times. By now, I knew I could adjust the antenna and get control back. Only once did I lose the signal long enough for it to trigger the RTH function. I was able to reacquire control quickly though.

I used Home Lock a couple of times to bring the P2V back to me. This was the first time I had really tried an IOC mode. I used it a couple of times when I lost sight of the P2V in the distance. I switched to home lock and pulled the right stick down and was able to spot the aircraft as it moved closer. I also used Home Lock a couple of times while landing, though I prefer the normal Vision mode.

Once again, I was impressed by the P2V. It's a great toy and I had multiple barrels-of-monkeys fun flying it. Maybe more fun than before because I'm getting more confident and capable.

-- Roger

Nice write-up, thanks! Great to see reports of people pushing their personal boundaries after gaining some flight experience. :D

Don't forget you can also use the radar display to help if you lose orientation (useful to learn how it works anyway in case you lose satellite reception for some reason and Home Lock/RTH becomes unavailable)

Pull_Up said:
Don't forget you can also use the radar display to help if you lose orientation (useful to learn how it works anyway in case you lose satellite reception for some reason and Home Lock/RTH becomes unavailable)

Thanks. i didn't think about that.

-- Roger

jadebox said:

Once again, I was impressed by the P2V. It's a great toy and I had multiple barrels-of-monkeys fun flying it. Maybe more fun than before because I'm getting more confident and capable.

-- Roger
Absolutely agree that the enjoyment goes up when you gain confidence. I have written off quite a few £'s worth of hardware flying single rotor helicopters and at first I treated the P2V with a great deal of caution. Now, with 20+ flights under my belt I am getting a lot of fun flying and manoeuvring at high speed at around 20'. Too early to say it is completely instinctive but it is getting close :)

For those who may not wish to view the entire album, here's a cute photo of my P2V that my wife snapped as it took off or landed.

The shutter speed was high enough that the propellers appeared to be standing still in the original of the photograph. So, I applied some Photoshop magic (motion blur) to them. I think it makes the photo more dramatic.

-- Roger

Great way to get some aerial photos! With a 22,000 ft ceiling, I would have been temped to see how high I could get it!

Where any of the modelers nervous about you flying during launch?

FSJ Guy said:
Where any of the modelers nervous about you flying during launch?

Not that I noticed.

At a busy launch like this one, we set up multiple rockets at one time then launch them sequentially, usually launching the next one while the previous one is still coming back down under parachute. Sometimes we have a "drag race" with multiple rockets launched at once. So, multiple rockets are often in the air at once and, although I've witnessed thousands of launches, I've never seen two rockets even come close to hitting each other. The sky is really large, so there's no real chance of any collisions (as long as I don't do something silly like hover a few feet over a rocket right before launch).

The most common question I received from other rocketry enthusiasts was "will you upload the photos and videos to a web site?"

-- Roger

spanktimonious said:
77e7w.jpg

Also, tons of rolling shutter jello in that really poor quality video.

Ah, being a troll on this thread too eh?

spanktimonious said:
Scottrod said:
Ah, being a troll on this thread too eh?

I get it and you're forgiven. It's not something that you can control. It's just who you are.

Dimwits like you who have way too much of their self-worth tied up in the flying toy that they bought get their panties bunched when folks post facts about that same flying toy.

It's sad to watch you squirm and flail about but ultimately you only have yourself to blame for that goofiness.

Having fun wasting your time I see. :lol: If your feeble attempt to put people down on this site makes you feel better you've got issues my friend. The funny part is the way you speak. I know for a fact you used to have another username that clearly everyone must have blocked. So I guess now you're back for round two?

spanktimonious said:
Scottrod said:
Having fun wasting your time I see. :lol: If your feeble attempt to put people down on this site makes you feel better you've got issues my friend. The funny part is the way you speak. I know for a fact you used to have another username that clearly everyone must have blocked. So I guess now you're back for round two?

#1. Reading your funny posts and watching you flail is not a waste of my time. It's entertaining. Albeit at your expense but that's besides the point.

#2. You've never heard me speak.

#3. Is it time for you to once again lie and claim that you have a mechanical engineering degree? That was really, really funny in a very pathetic kind of way. Please give us an encore performance tubby!

Really? Keep going

Scottrod, please just ignore the trolling. By quoting the child's posts, you make them visible to those who have "Foe" blocked the troll.

Anyway, I used the default settings in Premiere to stabilize the clips and I didn't apply lens correction first.

What our friend described as "rolling shutter jello" is actually an artifact of the way Premiere's warp stabilizer works, not a problem with the camera. When the stabilizer tilts or rotates the ground to compensate for the camera movement, it creates that weird look because of the fisheye. When I take the time to remove the fisheye before applying the Warp stabilizer (with the right settings), the videos look much better.

But, that process is very time consuming and I just didn't have the time to do it right now.

-- Roger

Here's my latest Phantom 2 Vision video of a rocket launch.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkC2YhkE-0Q[/youtube]

It was a windier day than the video would lead you to believe. I had to discard some video that was just unusable. And I spent a lot of time cleaning up what I kept mainly by using the "warp stabilizer" in Adobe Premiere.

This was taken before I installed the Rotorpixel gimbal which should make things easier and the video nicer in the future.

-- Roger

With the RotorPixel gimbal, the video is much nicer! Here's my latest rocket launch video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DW6AHmiIO1c[/youtube]

It was an odd day. The threat of storms kept some fliers at home, so there weren't as many large rockets launch as usual. But, we had a number of Civil Air Patrol cadets there flying smaller rockets. There were thunderstorms all around us, yet we only felt light rain. At times the wind was gusty, but sometimes it was so still that the exhaust from a rocket's launch would just hang there for a while.

I haven't had time to work on my rockets for a while, so it's especially nice to have the P2V to take to the launches.

-- Roger

Here's my latest rocketry video:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lezw4iKEk[/youtube]

This one was taken at our local launch where we fly smaller rockets. It was a really hot, humid day, so I resorted to sitting most of the time while I flew the Vision. I'm starting to get braver by flying the 'copter so that I get a sharper angle looking almost straight down on the rockets. In one case, I hovered directly above the pads. But, I had the Vision at about 200' and the rocket being launched was a small "MicroMaxx" rocket which I knew wouldn't fly more than 100' up.

-- Roger

On Monday, I helped some high school kids launch rockets as part of their "Summer Engineering Internship." It was very hot and very humid and much more fun than work!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lezw4iKEk[/youtube]

We set up our canopy and the launch equipment before the kids arrived. As we set up, we were able to see the SpaceX Falcon 9 launch in the distance.

Since the kids were all launching the same rocket on the same motor, I was able to see the altitude they were reaching. So, for a couple of the launches, I flew the helicopter directly over the launch pads at about 50 feet higher than the highest altitude the rockets were reaching. I caught a good view of one launch were it appears that the rocket ejects its parachute right below the rocket (though it looks closer than it actually was).

-- Roger

The above is from the launch I attended yesterday. I took mostly video, so it's the only really cool still that I captured.

It was a super hot day, so it was nice to be flying something that came back to me instead of drifting away under parachute!

-- Roger

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl