Solar Storms are Expected from 22-24 June

Reaction score
Official Space Weather Advisory issued by NOAA Space Weather Prediction Center
Boulder, Colorado, USA

SPACE WEATHER ADVISORY OUTLOOK #15-25
2015 June 21 at 9:30 p.m. MDT (2015 June 22 0330 UTC)

**** SPACE WEATHER OUTLOOK ****

Summary For June 15-21

Several R1 (minor) radio blackouts were observed on 18, 20 and 21 June from Regions 2365, 2367 and 2371.

S1 (minor) solar radiation storms were observed on 18-19 June and again on 21 June as a result of significant flare activity from Regions 2365 and 2367 respectively.

Outlook For June 22-28

R1-R2 (minor to moderate) radio blackouts are expected from complex Regions 2367 and 2371.

S1-S2 (minor to moderate) solar radiation storms are expected from 22-24 June.

G1-G3 (minor to strong) geomagnetic storms are expected on 22-23 June as effects from 3 coronal mass ejections impact Earth.

Data used to provide space weather services are contributed by NOAA,
USAF, NASA, NSF, USGS, the International Space Environment Services
and other observatories, universities, and institutions. More
information is available at SWPC's Web site http://swpc.noaa.gov

I wouldn't go as far as to say they have no impact. During a severe solar event, one may experience minor GPS anomalies and/or degraded RF performance. The likelihood is that you will notice nothing. Be prepared to fly in ATTI if needed and all should be fine.

Reactions: rrmccabe
The k-index is currently at 8. Ive never seen it that high :eek::eek:

I don't pay attention to it anymore, it's never caused me a problem and I've never read of any proof it has caused any problems to a phantom.

I flew my P2V+ V3 yesterday afternoon for about 20 minutes at altitudes ranging from 10' to 300'. Not a single issue.

It's all about radio propagation through the ionized atmosphere... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K-index

It mainly affects HF long range radio links.. not the UHF band that encompasses the GPS range.
It may degrade GPS reception where a satellite is at an extreme slant angle... so instead of 8 sats you have 7 for example..

Last edited:
I'm in the camp that believes it "can" effect your copter. I did ham radio for many years and know how these solar flares can wreak havoc with the atmosphere. The bigger ones rendered the bands useless. With the sensitive electronics onboard these craft, don't be surprised at some strange behavior when flying through some of these CME's (coronal mass ejections) that manage to penetrate the earth's magnetic field. My limit is set to 5, I won't fly at or above that number.

Sent from my iPad Air 2 using Tapatalk Pro 3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic