Silly question maybe

Reaction score
When we first started having to be registered to fly an rc aircraft with the FAA, there were all kind of ways that people were trying to come up with to side step the the need to register and be subject to the rules. . Some asked if a multirotor was tethered, does it still need to be registered. As far as I know the answer was still yes. Well, what about control line airplanes? They are tethered by the control lines. Although not rc are they exempt? Can cl planes fly in NFZs? You may say they are not controlled by radio. Now in the past some cl planes were connected to a central pivot post by lines and rc equipment installed so pilot could be outside of circle. Thoughts? Also, what if a AMA flying field falls within a NFZ or close to an airport. Are they exempt?

If you flew control line your as old as me or older I bet your true VLOS is only about 150 m too.

Seems to me a "control line airplane" is still a model aircraft and would still fall under part 101. See PL 112-95 for more info.

The AMA would know whether they are exempt flying in a no fly zone, and the proven case was last winter when FAA barred all model AC flying in the DC SFRA. All AMA fields were shut down completely.

NOTAM FDC 6/2069 released Feb 10 lifted the restrictions somewhat and the AMA fields opened up.

If you flew control line your as old as me or older I bet your true VLOS is only about 150 m too.

Ah yes. Control line flying. Started at an early age and eventually retired as an airline pilot. It all worked together.

The Riley Wooten VooDoo. Coupled with a "35x" motor and I could fly all day.

But I digress. Sorry to interrupt the thread. Good memories though.

Thanks.

AD

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: eaglegoaltender

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers