Seagulls

Reaction score
I have read a number of posts on this, but I didn’t really believed it until I saw it. I was flying over a rock formation in the middle of a shallow bay in Northern California. It was cold and windy, and I was going for a stormy effect, so timing, weather and location were perfect.

As I am flying over this big rock, I see a seagull swoop by. This happens all the time when I am doing ocean work, so I didn’t think much of it. Then, the thing turns and dives at my drone. It missed and came back around for a second shot. I immediately pointed toward shore and pushed it as fast as it would go. The gull, now joined by a second bird, followed just behind. As I hit the shoreline, I dove for the ground and the birds went right after it. I skimmed along the ground until I could bring it home. Being stubborn, I waited for the birds to lose interest and tried again. Same result, as soon as the gulls noticed my Phantom, they went right for it.

Maybe I had disturbed a nest or something, I have never seen gulls act this way. I’ve had a few curious birds fly by now and again, this was the first time I have seen a gull directly attack the drone. I finally gave up and moved to a better spot. Nerve wracking to say the least.

Yeah you have to watch those gulls if you fly along the coast, hit one of those and its all over rover. Only yesterday I was flying my P3s along the coast going about 3/4 throttle and a bird starting chasing it, it looked like a chicken hawk anyway did a slight bank and gunned it quick smart and left the bird in my wake.

Reactions: MotorCycle-Man
I had a similar experience here in the UK [emoji636]. Had a near perfect day, filming cruise ships leaving the port. Then boom, crazy arse seagulls risking their lives and the P4P. I headed back to shore straight away being chased by what felt like the bullies. I think it is a familiar problem. I thought about decals....

Reactions: Neon Euc
Yip same here,I fly coast heaps and the seagulls a right pain,one comes ,then tells the family and then seagulls everywhere,total pest over here,nearly got me a few times,I'm not shy to fly with them and have friendly dog fights,and yes not ashamed to say because they are a pest,probly lucky I don't have firearms license,,hate them,,,,but never purposely chase one,to much to lose to a seagull with no insurance :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely if you are near a nest, it will provoke them. On the beaches of Florida I have not had any problems.
On a bay, I had them start swooping my drone. There were about 10 of them with my P4 50 ft. in front of me. I hovered to see if they were really after my P4. Yep they were. I shot strait up with my quad so they would miss it. Don’t know what got into me, but I started to dog fight them. I was having a good time. Trying to figure out their ability to maneuver. I was doing my best to hit one of them. I couldn’t get close. I was trying, but not really going to hit one. After a while they left. I’m the top dog here. That has always been my attitude with animals. Lol

Seagulls are aggressive birds if you stray near their nesting area, and they are also very curious while out hunting. As WV. Rootman mentions above, I have found that a straight up or straight down (if you're high enough) maneuver works well to confuse most birds. It's something they cannot do, and they're not sure what they're seeing. This is a good way to buy some time in order to fly away from them.

I also recall reading a post somewhere where a guy postulated that the all-white coloration of the P4 was a seabird magnet, and he put two wraps of black electrical tape around each arm. He then claimed that seabirds left him alone.

I have read a number of posts on this, but I didn’t really believed it until I saw it. I was flying over a rock formation in the middle of a shallow bay in Northern California. It was cold and windy, and I was going for a stormy effect, so timing, weather and location were perfect.

As I am flying over this big rock, I see a seagull swoop by. This happens all the time when I am doing ocean work, so I didn’t think much of it. Then, the thing turns and dives at my drone. It missed and came back around for a second shot. I immediately pointed toward shore and pushed it as fast as it would go. The gull, now joined by a second bird, followed just behind. As I hit the shoreline, I dove for the ground and the birds went right after it. I skimmed along the ground until I could bring it home. Being stubborn, I waited for the birds to lose interest and tried again. Same result, as soon as the gulls noticed my Phantom, they went right for it.

Maybe I had disturbed a nest or something, I have never seen gulls act this way. I’ve had a few curious birds fly by now and again, this was the first time I have seen a gull directly attack the drone. I finally gave up and moved to a better spot. Nerve wracking to say the least.

Yes, most definitely, I also fly my drone along SR-1 in NorCal and seagull will attack your drone within minutes. If they attack your drone you can either fly up several hundred feet or RHT.

I have had a few gull come close to my craft a few times, they didn't attack but dang they got close. My top bird scare was a few weeks ago, I was flying in a bay about 75 feet up over the ocean following the shore line and my wife said I see a big bird over by the edge over there, she then zoomed in with her camera then her next words where " It's a bald eagle! " I didn't even ask if she was sure and got back home quick quick. The eagle didn't bother with me as he probably though "Yea that's right! fly away you drone chicken!"

Reactions: Brockrock
I use my work P4P to do nest counts for ring-billed gulls and double-crested cormorants. I’m usually 50-100 feet up with the drone and they don’t seem to have a problem. However, we’ve been pecked by gulls on the head several times walking through the nest colonies.

Definitely a scary situation. At my lake there 2 eagles. Eagles, like other birds attack from above. I would suggest the best evasive maneuver would be to fly straight up until you get above a level where the birds will follow. Then fly far away from the birds and attempt to return unnoticed.

I use my work P4P to do nest counts for ring-billed gulls and double-crested cormorants. I’m usually 50-100 feet up with the drone and they don’t seem to have a problem. However, we’ve been pecked by gulls on the head several times walking through the nest colonies.
They aren't pecking. They are planting seeds, next they fly by and fertilized. Lol

Yeah, quite the opposite of my experiences. I've found that I can do a flyover of a group of gulls, maybe 10-15 feet above and they barely seem to notice. I'll bet you're right about the nest.

I was taking pictures of a golf course last year with my P4P and had a hawk come after my drone. The hawk hit my drone, and discovered the propellers - which I think gave the hawk a bit of a surprise. Afterwards, we went our separate ways and I stayed well clear of that tree. Here's a video of another close call I had with a hawk.

I was taking pictures of a golf course last year with my P4P and had a hawk come after my drone. The hawk hit my drone, and discovered the propellers - which I think gave the hawk a bit of a surprise. Afterwards, we went our separate ways and I stayed well clear of that tree. Here's a video of another close call I had with a hawk.

I wonder if the drone could recover from an actual impact. I have seen many of these, but in these cases the bird never actually hits the drone. If it did, would it down the Phantom, or could it recover?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4