Safe to Fly in A Heat Wave?

Reaction score
It's 100 degrees outside. I'm thinking maybe not a good idea to fly today. I read numerous threads about flying in the cold, but not in the heat.

Thoughts?

If I recall the spec is like 32-105F.

I have reservations flying in temps above 90 F. Batteries have a higher chance of failure in my mind at high temps. Probly would be ok, but I love my Phantom and don't want to see it falling into the mean 'ol ground/water. Flying near the ground at low levels is a better idea if the urge can't be fought off.

It's 100 degrees outside. I'm thinking maybe not a good idea to fly today. I read numerous threads about flying in the cold, but not in the heat.

Thoughts?
On the specs page for the Phantom 3 Standard, the range is 32° to 104°F (0° to 40°C). The consumer drones all have the same range. The Inspire 2 goes down to -4°F, but has the same upper limit.

I have reservations flying in temps above 90 F. Batteries have a higher chance of failure in my mind at high temps. Probly would be ok, but I love my Phantom and don't want to see it falling into the mean 'ol ground/water. Flying near the ground at low levels is a better idea if the urge can't be fought off.

I live in S Fla USA.
Summer temps are 90+F for about 3 mos a year.
No problems with any of my Phantoms.

LiION battery chemistry is well known, we are operating above 3C discharge rate (average, peaks will be higher) which is fine in reasonable ambient temps, at the extremes we should expect we are putting a lot of stress on our packs. Also consider your device you are flying with- if I remember correctly apple states an upper ambient operating temp of 35deg C.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
intertronixlabel