Roll arm motor

Droneted

Phantom 4 gimbal repair advice
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
This is interesting how many of u knew that the tilt motor and the roll motor are the same? The tilt motor has a longer shaft but if u cut it down u can use it for the roll motor. I needed a roll motor and I had several tilt motors so I cut one down and it works great.
That concludes my fun fact for today

Do you have pictures to show us of your work?

I didn't think it would work so no. I repair cameras for P3 Adv and Pro mostly for fun. I had 2 cameras that had bad roll motors. Having no motors and no options to buy them reasonably, I looked at the tilt motor and saw they looked alike. The tilt motor shaft is longer as it holds the camera. The hard part is cutting the shaft. I used a hack saw. Believe me it was not easy. I bet there is an easier way. When I do it again I will video it.

You should get the inventor of the week award :)

I use the following terms for the motors. So are you saying that you used a yaw or pitch motor as a replacement for the roll motor?

YRP-Motors.jpg

My tilt is your pitch. So it was the pitch I used. I have a few yaw motors and I will look at them to see if they would work.
I should have said pitch instead of tilt. My bad. I should know better. I knew it was pitch and I don't know where I got tilt. I am pretty old soooo
Forgot where I was going with that

My tilt is your pitch. So it was the pitch I used. I have a few yaw motors and I will look at them to see if they would work.
I should have said pitch instead of tilt. My bad. I should know better. I knew it was pitch and I don't know where I got tilt. I am pretty old soooo
Forgot where I was going with that

Ted, no worries about the tilt/pitch mix-up. It happens to the best of us. Well, you have given me some good information here. I am now curious if I can manage the same repair to my other camera using a pitch motor which I will cut down with a Dremel if need by.

Be careful of the ribbon cable. Leave the motor in the pitch housing so u will have something to hold while cutting the shaft. I used a hack saw. I went out and got dremmel today. I bought a tiny dremmel at Harbor Freight. $9.99. How cheap am I ??

Be careful of the ribbon cable. Leave the motor in the pitch housing so u will have something to hold while cutting the shaft. I used a hack saw. I went out and got dremmel today. I bought a tiny dremmel at Harbor Freight. $9.99. How cheap am I ??
How exactly did you get the motor out of the arm? Im having some trouble getting the motor out..

I grab the shaft with pliers and turn it left and right while pulling straight out. . It is sort of glued in, that and the magnet holds it.. It will come out without too much effort. Take the bad one out first. Make sure the housing is ok after u get it out. Sometimes the magnet gets chipped up. If u look it over carefully u will see that the winding's are damaged or one of the resisters in loose. I tried to re solder a resister back and i didn't have any luck doing it. After u take the good motor out cut the shaft with a dremmel. Make sure it is the same length as the roll shaft. Use the tool they give u with new roll and yaw kits.

If u are doing a total rebuild with new yaw and roll arms u could leave the pitch motor in the housing and just cut the shaft. Put that in the new roll arm.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1