Remove Invalid "Airports"

Reaction score
So, close to my house there is an "airport" (farmland) that was registered with the FAA (WI65) back in 1970. It's now purely a field of corn (Google Maps view) and the person listed as the owner of the airport, sold the house and land many years ago (he may have passed away as well). Unfortunately, I will now need to get LAANC authorization in order to fly at my house because of this "airport" that was never unregistered by the FAA. So what's my course of action to fix this situation so that it reverts back to Class G airspace, where I can freely fly?

I'm not an expert with the new regulations, so forgive me if my reasoning is flawed, but I'm sure that there are many other "airports" out there just like this, that have no business being registered with the FAA any longer (there are others around me, but they don't personally affect me).

Thanks in advance for your help!
Stach

My question to you is. Where does this appear as an airport? On DJI Go app or in a LAANC approval app (like Airmap or Kittyhawk)?

Have you considered writing an email to your local FAA office with the coordinates and photos of the area so it gets deregistered?

My question to you is. Where does this appear as an airport? On DJI Go app or in a LAANC approval app (like Airmap or Kittyhawk)?

Have you considered writing an email to your local FAA office with the coordinates and photos of the area so it gets deregistered?

Yes, it appears in all apps (Airmap, Kittyhawk, B4UFly, etc...) as a small airport.

I haven't looked into who to contact exactly, as that's what I was hoping to learn here. If anyone has any direct contact / detailed information (webpage, email, phone, etc...) about how to proceed, that would be great.

Thanks for your reply.
Stach

Sure, the airport info and coordinates were available in the WI65 link at the top (not very noticable). The Google Map View was also clickable in the first post to show you where it is.

Also, the middle circle in the Airmap screenshot below is the area that WI65 covers.

Reactions: Ansia
I hope it's as easy as one more phone call.

There's a non-existent hospital heliport listed less than a mile from one of my favorite spots, in the middle of a large tract of woods.

I've called several FAA phone numbers and keep getting put off or passed around to yet another phone number, but no one ever told me to call the Atlanta FSDO.

Will try that tomorrow.

There's a non-existent hospital heliport listed less than a mile from one of my favorite spots, in the middle of a large tract of woods.

I've called several FAA phone numbers and keep getting put off or passed around to yet another phone number, but no one ever told me to call the Atlanta FSDO.

Will try that tomorrow.
I don't believe it will be that easy as making a phone call and it's done, but one has to take the first step.

I have a similar "airport" issue too. Not as big a deal for me, but now I know who to call and maybe get the ball rolling to get this updated!

I don't believe it will be that easy as making a phone call and it's done, but one has to take the first step.

I should have worded that a little differently. Didn't mean one more phone call and done, just meant one more phone call and get to speak with someone who can actually tell me what to do -instead of giving me another FAA phone number and passing me along to someone else.

Everyone I've spoken with so far has passed the buck and not given me any definitive information. And none of the FAA employees has mentioned calling my local FSDO.

Will report back later this morning with what they say.

I'm curious as to how long it will take, once the information is presented and accepted, for the change to make it's way into all the flight apps.

BTW, I'm also curious how the erroneous location of this hospital helipad made its way into all the apps - it's not on the Atlanta sectional.

I called the phone number listed as the helipad manager and it's actually a private citizen. In fact, she got quite irate with me right off the bat so I must not have been the first to call her.

Reactions: Shoot4fun and Ansia
If it's not in the sectional chart it doesn't count Kittyhawk is the FAA approved vendor not airmap

If it's not in the sectional chart it doesn't count Kittyhawk is the FAA approved vendor not airmap
I don't understand that statement, could you expound on it just a bit please?

I'm not concerned with who the 'approved vendor' is, this non-existent heliport and other defunct 'farm' airports show up on all the UAS flight apps I've downloaded so far:

DJI GO
B4Ufly
Airmap
UAV Forecast
and yes, even Kittyhawk

My question, and there are dozens of other flyers who would also be interested in the answer, is:

By what method can requests be made to rid GO and third-party UAS flight apps of nonexistent or now-defunct airports, heliports, etc.

I called the Atlanta FSDO, got transferred, and reached a voicemail. Left a message with my name and phone number and what I wanted and didn't hear back.

After work, called again and eventually connected with a different guy who told me if I answered the quiz and unlocked the warning zone that it was legal for me to fly - I knew that already but that was not the answer to my question.

I've tried to get a straight answer 2-3 different times over the past 2+ years and eventually get tired of beating my head against a wall and just quit... not this time - going to keep on until I find someone who can at least point me in the right direction.

Reactions: Shoot4fun
@umanbean I meant that there are working & non-working airports that are not on the FAA sectional and do not need approval non towered and such then others say their geo fencing is stopping them but the sectional map is the final say in matters so if your not grounded by geo fencing and not in controlled airspace your good to go also your guess is as good as mine how to get the apps to update old nonworking airports/helipads

Reactions: Shoot4fun
I don't understand that statement, could you expound on it just a bit please?

I'm not concerned with who the 'approved vendor' is, this non-existent heliport and other defunct 'farm' airports show up on all the UAS flight apps I've downloaded so far:

DJI GO
B4Ufly
Airmap
UAV Forecast
and yes, even Kittyhawk

My question, and there are dozens of other flyers who would also be interested in the answer, is:

By what method can requests be made to rid GO and third-party UAS flight apps of nonexistent or now-defunct airports, heliports, etc.

I called the Atlanta FSDO, got transferred, and reached a voicemail. Left a message with my name and phone number and what I wanted and didn't hear back.

After work, called again and eventually connected with a different guy who told me if I answered the quiz and unlocked the warning zone that it was legal for me to fly - I knew that already but that was not the answer to my question.

I've tried to get a straight answer 2-3 different times over the past 2+ years and eventually get tired of beating my head against a wall and just quit... not this time - going to keep on until I find someone who can at least point me in the right direction.
Sorry it didn't work out. Don't give up. I'm sure there has to be a way. Have you visited your local FSDO?

Reactions: umanbean

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic