Refrigerate your phantom

Cool man, how is your new one? is it possessed, do we need to do an exorcism? Also why do you need 2?
I haven't opened it yet. I got home from the mall about an hour ago and just found out that a college friend of my wife and I passed on Saturday and she (my wife Julie) was best friends with him so I am trying to comfort her a little. Although she knows I'm sitting here posting and she thinks it's pathetic and gets annoyed. I don't totally disagree.

Either way, it's probably possessed but hopefully a good ghost.

I need two because I loved the first one and I sent it to my brother in NY because my brother in law owns nuts.com and wants me to make an industrial video for his factory. Nuts.com ... He is beyond loaded so he paid for it to be sent out there and after next weeks Coachella I'm flying to Jersey to record and 3D map his house/mansion and his factory.

I have many others as well. I have a fleet of drones. I have a personal exemption but not one for my company yet but I think I'm finally about to get it. So when I sent mine out, I picked up a second becaus I loved the first one. Didn't obviously love the second.

I might have doomed it by the name. I named the first one Layla and the second one Layla2.

I might call the new one Flight370. Too soon?

I haven't opened it yet. I got home from the mall about an hour ago and just found out that a college friend of my wife and I passed on Saturday and she (my wife Julie) was best friends with him so I am trying to comfort her a little. Although she knows I'm sitting here posting and she thinks it's pathetic and gets annoyed. I don't totally disagree.

Either way, it's probably possessed but hopefully a good ghost.

I need two because I loved the first one and I sent it to my brother in NY because my brother in law owns nuts.com and wants me to make an industrial video for his factory. Nuts.com ... He is beyond loaded so he paid for it to be sent out there and after next weeks Coachella I'm flying to Jersey to record and 3D map his house/mansion and his factory.

I have many others as well. I have a fleet of drones. I have a personal exemption but not one for my company yet but I think I'm finally about to get it. So when I sent mine out, I picked up a second becaus I loved the first one. Didn't obviously love the second.

I might have doomed it by the name. I named the first one Layla and the second one Layla2.

I might call the new one Flight370. Too soon?

or flight 180 :) from the movie final destination...

Last edited:
What people don't seem to get is it's not a RACE TO WARM UP THE IMU!!!!

If you are flying in the cold, you should do a cold IMU calibration, if you are flying in 95 degree whether, you should do a calibration in 95 degree whether. It's a pain as I live in LA and the temperature ranges can vary at night 30-40 degrees from the day but I don't re-calibrate the IMU but if I plug it in to the assistant I can tell that it's off in the day if I calibrated at night (a little) than if I fly at night.

You want to calibrate at the temperature you will be flying. I know engineers that don't even know this but I spoke to someone about this issue that knows A LOT MORE than me so this isn't me speaking. This is someone that fixes and builds UASs' for a living.

Anyhow, there is a reason the IMU calibrates with a temperature gauge and it's not so you can do it in the cold so it will "warm up faster", actually it will just WARM UP LESS and that might not be good depending on the temp you are flying in.

Of course, if you are that impatient, do a cold calibration and you wont have to wait and you will probably be fine all the time.

God knows, the P4 has it's own problems.

My first P4 is a powder puff, works perfect and I thought everyone was crazy.

My second one has now been returned once and is still having a problem which I believe is a software/firmware/apple issue but I can't figure it out and a-holes at DJI answering the phone are bogged down because of this and the new OSMO accesory so he just wanted to send me an e-mail on how to bind the RC. I'm telling him IVE BOUND THE RC 20x, reformatted and re-installed everything from the air and directly from itunes as some say that makes a difference and I CANNOT get my bird to connect to the app via the Mini, only my RC.

It actually was just bad in the air at first and then it completely disconnected in the air but I was able to re-connect once it got closer. After I did what DJI said, I am worse off than I was.

So here I am with this POS and a company that is annoyed that I am annoyed and I told him, "I know you're just a guy working and I appreciate that but are you or are you not an engineer?".

So I am going to bring it to my friend at Drones Plus, and see what he has to say (he is actually taking a job at DJI and he might be the best person they'll have) because the people that answer the phones are only good at reading protocol. I need someone that can help me figure out WTF is wrong with this. On the DJI site since the Apple 9.3.1 and the DJI 2.7 Go, it has been chaos. They literally went from bad to not working. What's even stranger is that it's not like it no longer works on the ipad mini 2. For some people, it's an iPhone and I saw someone with the ipad pro that said it was working before the upgrade.

But today is my last day to return this one (which would be my third on my second) if that makes sense. In other words my first one that I got was fine, and now I have at least 1 bad one on my second and possibly 2. I really really don't want to return again and I think this is actually a software issue but if it isn't I'll be screwed if I don't return it.

I can't even test the other one to troubleshoot if it's a software issue because it's in New York at the moment. Sorry if I sort of just OT'd this thread on the second half of this post.

UGH!
I calibrated my Phantom 3 in normal conditions(room temp), only calibrated compass and IMU once, flew in spring, hot summer, cold winter -40C(tape over the vents, to keep some heat inside), and never had any issue other then 5 compass errors, out of over 400 flights, 200 battery charges, etc...

I calibrated my Phantom 3 in normal conditions(room temp), only calibrated compass and IMU once, flew in spring, hot summer, cold winter -40C(tape over the vents, to keep some heat inside), and never had any issue other then 5 compass errors, out of over 400 flights, 200 battery charges, etc...
Yeah, I've come to grips with the fact that even if one day you do have a fly away and I never do, you also don't spin around like a fool every time you start a day of flying (I don't calibrate compass on every flight unless location change anymore) at least you didn't spin around a million times like a fool. :)

The IMU doesn't need calibration hardly ever but I would do it after a hard move (like in a plane) or after a firmware update, etc. Especially having dual on both, there is redundancy as well so it's less necessary than was in the P3X.

Either way, for the first time (with that last Phantom) I have learned that there is just such a thing as a poorly made bird. I've never had one before that had a mind like that so it's redirected my thoughts a bit.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20