Rapid Charging Battery

Thoughts on this:
P2V decides to take a little swim in the creek. was under about 15 minutes. Once recovered, the battery was removed from the P2V and all battery LED's was blinking erratically at the same time. Can't remember an exact pattern, just that all LED's would be on when the blinks occurred. Could not operate the battery switch to turn them off. This went on till the following day when it appeared to have finally died. The P2V believe it or not came out with minimal losses. After completely blowing out with the air compressor and waiting a day for good measure it fired up and only failed parts were 2 ecb's which probably happened at splashdown. Now back to the battery. After letting it set for a day or two the urge to try and charge it was overwhelming. Plugged into the charger and it seemed nothing happened. But wait something must have, because now the charger will not even charge two other known good batteries. LED on the charger just stays green and will not go into the charge mode with a red LED. Put a meter on the charger and it still shows an output of 12.6v but I do not believe it is throwing out any amps. So now I think the charger/PS is also toast. Any thoughts on something to try and check?

urgno said:
sorry, being very lazy :roll: still not have done a second connector
but based on my findings of previous post, im very confident that the p2v lipos just need a plain and simple 12.6v input from a power supply
i think also a car battery will go fine

im very curious to try to charge one p2v battery turned off with another p2v battery turned on :mrgreen:

Very interested to see if the car battery thing will work. If so while out flying one could just rig up a connector to the vehicle without having to return home. Possibly even a cigarette power outlet connection.

Of course after thinking a while it makes me wonder. If a simple cigarette outlet connection were possible, why has DJI not already done this?

HaM-73 said:
Of course after thinking a while it makes me wonder. If a simple cigarette outlet connection were possible, why has DJI not already done this?
In fact DJI has done it but is very expensive ... if I dont remember bad was around 50$ :eek: :shock:

Anyway, I did some test today and wrote the result on RCG forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6989

urgno said:
HaM-73 said:
In fact DJI has done it but is very expensive ... if I dont remember bad was around 50$ :eek: :shock:

Anyway, I did some test today and wrote the result on RCG forum.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost ... count=6989

$50, Geez. Maybe they do have a current limiter though. I picked one of these up at Harbor Freight for $4.99. It has an 8 Amp fuse and thinking if I cut off the ends and added leads to connect to 2 DJI batteries I could charge 2 in the field if there would be no harm to the batteries. I guess I would have to keep a watchful eye in case the batteries does not have a overcharge limitation built in. I assume the brief 14 amp draw mentioned in your post did not cause any harm to your battery?

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-du ... 67073.html

Remembered I had a Kill A Watt meter laying around so thought I would see what the charger itself pulls. The charger appears to pull just under an Amp while charging, so it must also be a transformer of sorts. The reading when not charging was .08a

Attachments

• 20140202_101341.jpg
    20140202_101341.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 445
urgno said:
HaM-73 said:

Actually the DJI cigarette lighter charger I saw was $99 so I think it's even more than $50!

You are much better off with a power inverter which can be had for as little as $20 for a 100W one. That way you can use it for anything else as well not just charging the phantom.

How, or from what, did you make those connectors that you stick in the Phantom Smart Battery?
Were those Traxxas plugs?

Still looking forward to see a parallel charge test.. ;)

Hi,

I found this part online at Helipal.com and adapted it for charging the Phantom 2 batteries. Here are a few pics.
This prevents the polarity problem if you plug it in wrong as it cannot be done incorrectly with the prong sticking out
to the side of the flat charge pins.

Attachments

• IMG_2414_2JPG.jpg
    IMG_2414_2JPG.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_2413_2.JPG
    IMG_2413_2.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 443
  • DJIBatteryPlug_2.JPG
    DJIBatteryPlug_2.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 421
To answer a few questions.
The DJI "charger" is a 12.6V switch mode power supply with overload and short circuit protection.

You can use a smart charger in Pb mode, but most increase volts in multiples of 2V so you may not get a full charge unless you can adjust one to 12.6V out.

There is a long thread with pictures of the battery guts and electronics on rcgroups.com

I discovered today that I could use the "Venom Universal Plug System" adapters to make an adapter for charging the P2 battery with my LiPo charger. Almost seems too good to be true...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qea0QM2fxpM[/youtube]

unfortunately phantom will never take off on if don't get the info from "intelligent" battery :(

I made this adapter to discharge my phantom battery to reach 50-60% ... something like storage

click to zoom

PLEASE NOTE:
just for discharge I'm using a hyperion charger because is able to put a load of around 7Amps on the battery
(not using lipo program but Pb program)
but I could have used a 80-100A 12V halogen lamp and with same effect ... but more light :mrgreen: :lol:

Hey guys. being in the RC/FPV field for over a decade I've also been obsessed with taking proper care of my LiPos. I normally storage discharge any unused LiPos with my Hyperion charger but I wanted something dedicated and portable for my Phantom LiPos. So I build the "Phantom Angel", a dedicated Phantom battery discharger. You plug it in, press the button and it discharges at 1C to 60%.After building the thing I thought others may find it useful so I've made a bunch.

Is is effective, safe and (I think) great value for money :)

If you're interested check it out at Phantom battery discharger.

productphoto.png

Hi guys,

Since launching the Phantom Angel a couple of months ago I've had loads of discussions with Phantom pilots about their batteries.
What I saw was that the majority of new pilots were not aware of standard LiPo practices and were surprised and grateful when I shared some of what I've learnt over the years.

So, with that in mind, I've created a concise, newbie-friendly guide to all things LiPo. If you don't know how to store your battiers, how to keep them from exploding or how to tell your watts from your amps, this guide's for you :)

Top tips for happy Phantom batteries

Hope you find it useful and please do send over any and all thoughts and comments.

Proto

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20