Props needed..

Double-D said:
EMCSQUAR said:
Now if you're after smooth control for photos or videos and your Phantom is not heavily loaded with accessories you might want to try a set of DJIs #26 props. They're basically the standard P1 prop but w/ left/right self threading. You'll find these are quieter and smoother for relatively slower manuevers. You're not going to get that little extra time that P2 or C/f props tend to give but you're videos will reflect the difference.

What are flight times using them? They're quite a bit shorter as well, aren't they?

CBS

Phantom_Menace66 said:
The Plastic props do a fine job and are more forgiving then CF. One of the reasons I use CF is the heat. If the temp is above 30deg Celsius, the ends of the plastic props become very soft, almost rubbery and it becomes sluggish and loses lift.

That's kinda scary! Soon it will be regularly over 30 C here and I'm using the standard plastic props.

Anyone else have these experiences when flying in hot temperatures resulting in the standard props becoming soft and rubbery? I would think this could severely affect flight, performance and might even lead to crashes.

Sasquatch said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
The Plastic props do a fine job and are more forgiving then CF. One of the reasons I use CF is the heat. If the temp is above 30deg Celsius, the ends of the plastic props become very soft, almost rubbery and it becomes sluggish and loses lift.

That's kinda scary! Soon it will be regularly over 30 C here and I'm using the standard plastic props.

Anyone else have these experiences when flying in hot temperatures resulting in the standard props becoming soft and rubbery? I would think this could severely affect flight, performance and might even lead to crashes.

Have had 30 deg. C here on the east coast for the last few days and have not noticed any issue with this at all.

Sasquatch said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:

This is just not true. I live in Central FL where the temp regularly reaches over 86F. The props do not soften at all. Yhis is total BS.

Gotta call bunk on the temperature issue.
It's 93 degrees here now (~35C). Rubbery? No.
Considering the props are made from the same plastic as the body, which is exposed to even higher temps (ambient plus operational heat generation)...well...the evidence simply doesn't support the claim of rubbery props.

Wanting to tinker is a perfectly acceptable reason to try different props. It's a cool machine and tinkering is fun.
I'm kind of curious myself about a narrow-chord Q-tip style prop to lower the noise footprint and perhaps reduce the VRS risk.

Great info ... but I am still wondering where people do all of their purchasing for props?

Thanks

Yeah I call BS on the rubbery prop. It's 95 out and the props are fine . I've had the carbon props and dji props Graupner and have found the DJI props to be the best all round props. I just think people are into the carbon fiber look.
I know one thing , the CF props will cut the hell out of you !

BlackTracer said:
Sasquatch said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:

This is just not true. I live in Central FL where the temp regularly reaches over 86F. The props do not soften at all. Yhis is total BS.
It is not total BS and someone just said the props are made of the same plastic as the shell of the Phantom. Now that's rubbish. I can make an indent in the plastic prop with a fingernail, can't with the shell/body. It's much harder. If the props were made of the same plastic as the shell, they'd shatter easily if they hit something.

Airmotive said:
Gotta call bunk on the temperature issue.
It's 93 degrees here now (~35C). Rubbery? No.
Considering the props are made from the same plastic as the body, which is exposed to even higher temps (ambient plus operational heat generation)...well...the evidence simply doesn't support the claim of rubbery props.

Wanting to tinker is a perfectly acceptable reason to try different props. It's a cool machine and tinkering is fun.
I'm kind of curious myself about a narrow-chord Q-tip style prop to lower the noise footprint and perhaps reduce the VRS risk.

Well I'm quite certain I wasn't I wasn't imagining it. The **** things are soft at room temp. Unfortunately it is quite cold here now & will be for some months, so I cannot make a video to show what I mean....
It would be interesting to film the take-offs in different temperatures with a high speed camera so it can be played back in super slow mode to see just how much the props flex. A project for summer maybe

From my limited experience, there is a big difference between the aftermarket props are absolutely more flimsy that the official DJI props. In fact, I noticed a HUGE difference in lift with the two different manufacturers. The cheaper props had almost no lift.

Thanks for the replies and from those who have experience flying in high heat. It's reassuring to know that the standard props won't become to weak or rubbery while flying in hot weather.

I don't think Phantom Menace is making up his claims, I wonder why his experience is different. Different type of standard props and/or material? Maybe they have changed the composition of the plastic over the months?

No their still the same material , I'm still calling BS on the soft props. Look at it this way , it just like a big fan , it'll cool it's self down.

Mori55 said:
No their still the same material , I'm still calling BS on the soft props. Look at it this way , it just like a big fan , it'll cool it's self down.
Well you're entitled to your opinion... Yes of course I make it all up just to attract attention to myself because I like looking like a complete idiot....

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Mori55 said:
Well you're entitled to your opinion... Yes of course I make it all up just to attract attention to myself because I like looking like a complete idiot....

Here's a question: do they change (does your phantom get more lift) as time goes on? Just wondering if they do cool themselves off over time, or it just remains a constant problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj