PP4 Bottom Sensor Question

Reaction score
Today I made the jump from a Mavic Pro to the PP4 Obsidian after having actively flown my Mavic for over a year. After updating the firmware I took her out for a quick test flight to acclimate myself before performing any deep changes to any of the settings. I have a 60 foot pine tree on my property and I flew over the top of the tree with about 40 foot of initial height clearance. It was at this time I wanted to test the bottom sensors so I slowly lowered the PP4 until I was probably no more than a foot or two off the top of the tree. At no time did I get a sensor alert that I was getting too close to an object.

At this time I landed and performed a sensor calibration with the Assistant. I took flight again and carefully got as close as I could with the bottom sensors to that tree and a couple fo others that a fairly high. Still no alerts. After a few of these test passes I received an alert on my screen which indicated a bottom sensor failure telling me to land. All four LED's on the PP4 were red at this time. I landed and powered everything down. I waited a few minutes and then powered everything up before taking flight again. I flew for another 15 minutes or so with no additional critical warnings. The LED's stayed two red and two green, which is normal.

I realize I was taking risk by flying close to my trees, but is the lack of any bottom sensor warning as I got close to the trees normal or is this an indication of an actual mechanical issue? Thank you. I appreciate your help.

I realize I was taking risk by flying close to my trees, but is the lack of any bottom sensor warning as I got close to the trees normal or is this an indication of an actual mechanical issue?
The sensors don't work in all situations or with all subjects.
Try testing on solid ground with good lighting first to see that the system is OK.

Here's a list of situations that can confuse VPS
i-DGwNx9K-L.jpg

Holy cow, I must have the lucky Phantom 4 Pro as I have never had any of those issues, and I fly as many of you know in some crazy places. As long as i do not get a magnetic compass error I fly and the sensors are spot on.

If youre looking for the frantic beeping of the forward and rear obstacle avoidance, but going downward, thats not what VPS is intended for. If its working youll get a reading of how high you are off the deck of something (within thirty feet or so) but never any real alert. The Phantom will let you drop in on just about about anything

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl