PolarPro Cinema Series filters

Reaction score
These look like really nice filters. Question, there are 3 filters in this pack (DJI Phantom 4 Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection), they are ND16, 32, 64. Would an ND4 or 8 be more widely used if I set the shutter at 60, the f is somewhere around 2-3? If that's the case I'm guessing that I'd need a filter with 2-3 stops hence, an ND4 or 8? Never having yet used a filter leads me to these questions.

The cinema series looks really nice but, I'm afraid they'd be too dark for where I live. Is this true?

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

My go to filter is a cpl, it ads 2 stops. The amount of light that is blocked by the polarizing filter, will depend on the position (rotation) of the front element of the filter and the amount of polarized reflection in your scene. I have an ND 16, & 32 and rarely use it, for my taste i think they are a bit too dark. I feel I get much better results from my cpl - go to filter, but that's just me.

All of the images attached were taken with my cpl filter, no post processing involved straight out of the aircraft. Images 0005 & 0018 were taken facing the sun, very bright ocean day with glare. I was even wearing sunglasses due to the amount of reflection of the sun against the water.
Images 0003 & 0015 were taking with the same filter facing the opposite direction away from the sun. Basically what I am trying to explain is that it is all relative to the amount of reflection you have in your scene. The filter on the front of the lens brings the ambient exposure down, ND2 = 1 stop of light reduction, ND4 = 2 stops, ND8 = 3 and so on...

Attachments

• DJI_0005.jpg
    DJI_0005.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 369
  • DJI_0018.jpg
    DJI_0018.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 342
  • DJI_0003.jpg
    DJI_0003.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 344
  • DJI_0015.jpg
    DJI_0015.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 336
These look like really nice filters. Question, there are 3 filters in this pack (DJI Phantom 4 Filters - Cinema Series - Shutter Collection), they are ND16, 32, 64. Would an ND4 or 8 be more widely used if I set the shutter at 60, the f is somewhere around 2-3? If that's the case I'm guessing that I'd need a filter with 2-3 stops hence, an ND4 or 8? Never having yet used a filter leads me to these questions.

The cinema series looks really nice but, I'm afraid they'd be too dark for where I live. Is this true?

I have the Polar Pro CPL, ND4, ND8 and ND32. I have never found the right lighting to use the ND4. I believe the CPL is mainly good for photos, but not videos as it does not help lower down the shutter speed. ND32 is useful on sunny days, ND8 on cloudy. You are better off getting the 8, 16 and 32 for videos.

I use my CPL for videos also:

Reactions: jogforfitness
I have been using the CP+ND with some success. There is a little bit of a 'earthy' 'browny' tinge to the cinema "vivid" i believe (cp/nd filters) but I actually like it. ND8/CP seems to be the go-to for most days and the CP helps reduce reflection from water etc. Very happy with the filters.

I use my CPL for videos also:

Did you manage to get double the shutter speed in contrast to the framerate with only CPL during broad daylight? When i use the CPL for videos and try to lower the shutter speed, the video is not smooth and i get many overexposed parts in the sky. How do you eliminate both with CPL filter?

The purpose of nd filters is primarily to mitigate the jitters in video. The goal is to use the right nd filter to achieve a shutter speed that's double the selected frame rate. This produces smoother pans, less jitters.

I typically use 32 on a sunny day.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20