pix4d capture app best setup for grid flying

Reaction score
Hi guys

just testing all settings to find out what's the best reasonable setup to go with pix4dcapture app to fly phantom

2d polygon mode
altitude - 60m above ground level
angle of the camera - i'm currently using 90, i don't know how it changes if i do change it to different angle?

front overlap - 80%
side overlap - 70%
any suggestion with this setup?

picture trigger mode - fast mode
drone speed - fast

I don't know how these will effect when i fly high alttitude and low alttitude, i flew 2d maps polygon and every second or third photo is very blurry and not clear.

double grid

used same setup

every photos are very clear. speed was slower somehow.
even if i selected a fast speed for speed it was still slow.

I'm not exactly sure how it's different from double grid and 2d polygon? is it just height difference?

any comments from experienced user will be appreciated.

Pix4D has very good resources for almost all of their products, so you might start with their User Manual. Your overlap settings look fine and shooting directly down is best for areas that don't have a lot of vertical features (buildings, cliffs, etc.). If you've got the battery life, using a slower speed will be better. You don't need to use the setting that makes the drone stop at every photo point, but you'll get less blur at slower speeds. The app is going to dictate the speed based on your overlap settings because it will know the footprint of your drone and the camera write speed, so it won't fly any faster than it can acquire those images. Your height will also be based on what you're trying to capture and the ground resolution that you're after.

For mapping purposes, we almost always use 2D, single grid, 200' AGL, 70%-80% overlaps (depending on the site characteristics), and always down (we don't care about the buildings most of the time). For most UAV mapping, the final deliverable and terrain will dictate your flight settings.

Reactions: telecom1992
Pix4D has very good resources for almost all of their products, so you might start with their User Manual. Your overlap settings look fine and shooting directly down is best for areas that don't have a lot of vertical features (buildings, cliffs, etc.). If you've got the battery life, using a slower speed will be better. You don't need to use the setting that makes the drone stop at every photo point, but you'll get less blur at slower speeds. The app is going to dictate the speed based on your overlap settings because it will know the footprint of your drone and the camera write speed, so it won't fly any faster than it can acquire those images. Your height will also be based on what you're trying to capture and the ground resolution that you're after.

For mapping purposes, we almost always use 2D, single grid, 200' AGL, 70%-80% overlaps (depending on the site characteristics), and always down (we don't care about the buildings most of the time). For most UAV mapping, the final deliverable and terrain will dictate your flight settings.

thank you for your reply. i'm trying to find a user manual!

i'm trying to find the setup from experienced user to learn. while i'm trying the different overlap and setups.
i'm trying to get the data as soon as possible and cover more area in a reasonable & and accurately.

single grid is only for just 2d map and produce plans.
double grid is for 3d models/volumes

thank you.

The lower you are the more pics you need and the longer it takes. Use drone speed slow so your pics are clear.

thanks guys i already looked user manual today. trying to find out what's the best setup to not spend too much time outside again and again and fail.....

what's the best setup
200-feet AGL, 75%-80% forward and side overlaps, and a slow speed should be all you need. Remember to check your camera settings in Go 4 to be sure that most things are set to auto. Do you have any terrain at your sites? Terrain will cause less overlap to occur, so you'd want to consider a higher flying height or an app that takes that into consideration. Do you have buildings? Maybe you want a separate flight that includes non-nadir pictures. Do you have ground control? Again, there are a ton of variables and I understand that you want to forego experimentation, but that's the best teacher.

Reactions: telecom1992
Try Map Pilot that has terrain awareness feature. It follows the terrain based on a 30x30m dtm but it also supports user Dtm’s.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl