Phone died mid-flight then crash: Lessons to learn!

Three days have passed and no sign of the OP posting up the flight data.

Close the thread, the OP doesn't want any help and the thread has turned into an RC charging battle..

I crap that has a very good connection with DJI... The box is covered in apple advertisement. Won't surprise me if DJI make android phones work less effectively with the equipment so it makes people buy Apple devices.

Plus these devices are designed with videography and photography in mind and well Macs are what the industry use.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
UhOh, tripped on an apple fan boy. Its OK to like apple, its OK to use apple. Its stupid to suggest DJI makes there equipment less functional or "effective" (whatever that means). I however, think: the devices are decent hardware, their marketing works; but the prices, usage restrictions, apps, and silly upgrade prices for a couple of $5 memory chips are enough to make me call it Icrap. Thats my opinion, so there.

Lets try to keep this civil guys. No need to bash manufacturers here. DJI optimized for Apple and that is their choice. I can see why they went with a phone who's system is stable and the same across all the devices. Android is a fragmented mess when it comes to the devices running apps.

And no, you do not need any device to fly your Phantom. And as some have stated, it is a fantastic idea to learn to fly manually so if you ever run into a problem like the OP you can fly home with no issues.

Reactions: konidair
If I had to obey los, I could only go out 200 feet and 100 up!!! Might as well get a hubsan
I don't obey speed limits either, just like many of you

Reactions: Dirty Bird
I don't like the dependency of having to connect a phone or tablet to fly. The craft should be able to maintain flight without the device.

I don't like the dependency of having to connect a phone or tablet to fly. The craft should be able to maintain flight without the device.

have you read the thread? at all? It works fine without device.

Four days now have passed and no sign of the OP posting up the flight data.

Close the thread, the OP doesn't want any help and the thread has turned into an RC charging, iOS vs Android and RC vs no RC battle.

Reactions: flyNfrank
Lets try to keep this civil guys. No need to bash manufacturers here. DJI optimized for Apple and that is their choice. I can see why they went with a phone who's system is stable and the same across all the devices. Android is a fragmented mess when it comes to the devices running apps.

And no, you do not need any device to fly your Phantom. And as some have stated, it is a fantastic idea to learn to fly manually so if you ever run into a problem like the OP you can fly home with no issues.
Off topic - but do you really think the software with apple is less glitchy? I (obvious from above post) dont own apple stuff and fly with android. My buddy who flys with the lil' ipad has had much more difficultly with firmware, rc, and software updates. I have had zero issues with my oneplusone phone. Granted, all androids are not created the same, but all istuff is. In reading the forums, it seems like upgrade, phone battery dying, calibration issues are most often associated with istuff. Then again, most people could be running istuff, I dont know. Not trying to flame anything/anyone - but it sure seems like problems others have with devices (not just user error) are istuff based.

Off topic - but do you really think the software with apple is less glitchy? I (obvious from above post) dont own apple stuff and fly with android. My buddy who flys with the lil' ipad has had much more difficultly with firmware, rc, and software updates. I have had zero issues with my oneplusone phone. Granted, all androids are not created the same, but all istuff is. In reading the forums, it seems like upgrade, phone battery dying, calibration issues are most often associated with istuff. Then again, most people could be running istuff, I dont know. Not trying to flame anything/anyone - but it sure seems like problems others have with devices (not just user error) are istuff based.

Funny, I thought it was the exact opposite - most of the issues I have seen have been with Andy stuff.

I have used both extensively, and in my experience the exact opposite is true. Part of the perception problem if you don't actually use both, I suspect, is that expectations are generally far higher for Apple equipment. That may be self-inflicted by the "it just works" mantra, but it is also likely due to the fact that Apple gear mostly does "just work", and the reports and complaints when it doesn't are commensurately greater, despite the fact that most people using it never experience any problems at all.

Reactions: konidair
It has a screen, memory and a usb host sufficiently fast enough to handle light bridge. Who cares what it is as long as it works without causing output lag.

Something more efficient would be make a list of known devices to avoid.

I have used both extensively, and in my experience the exact opposite is true. Part of the perception problem if you don't actually use both, I suspect, is that expectations are generally far higher for Apple equipment. That may be self-inflicted by the "it just works" mantra, but it is also likely due to the fact that Apple gear mostly does "just work", and the reports and complaints when it doesn't are commensurately greater, despite the fact that most people using it never experience any problems at all.
good to know - thanks for the other perspectives happydays and sar

Reactions: sar104
This is why I think flying the P1 first for so long was so beneficial to me. Only one time have I lost signal with my P3A at a very close range...which was very strange...anyway I just switched my brain into "P1 mode" and had no problem at all figuring out orientation and flying her back.

This is why I think flying the P1 first for so long was so beneficial to me. Only one time have I lost signal with my P3A at a very close range...which was very strange...anyway I just switched my brain into "P1 mode" and had no problem at all figuring out orientation and flying her back.

Flying KK2 and Multiwii quads for years will do the same thing. I find that I still "fly" my standard as much as use the app.

My phone died once in the middle of an RTH. I didn't know the battery was so low. I had gone out of signal about 2 miles out and it RTH. Then the phone just shut off. I had to wait and hope it would come back and it did. I took control as soon as I saw it and landed it myself.

I am not really sure you cannot fly without a device? I have had my Litchi and Go app both crash during flight and the bird stayed in the air.
I was flying my P3 on a hot day and my iPad got really hot and shut down. After the first sense of dread and panic passed, I just hit the RTH button. When it got close I took over manually just like I normally would and landed it safely.

The lesson here is a) don't panic; and b) carefully fly her home. If you haven't messed with other, cheaper drones, then you don't know just how smooth and reliable a flyer the phantom is.

Reactions: Mikepoo
However, without a device, you may not be able to take off in the first place. Lots of P4 owners tried, but could not, until the new P4 DJI GO app was released. However, once in the air, unless you are in a No FLy Zone, you should have full control without any device active, should your tablet crash or the battery fail, as long as the RC LED light is green. If it is red, you are SOL until RTH kicks in and brings it back within range, which will turn the RC LED to green again.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic