Phantom Pilots - Am I the only one who feels this way?

Reaction score
Let me preface this thread by stating that I completely love my Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian in pretty much every single way. The video and image quality is simply amazing. There, now that that's out of the way.

As of late, I have been flying (and enjoying) my Mavic Pro a bit more. I know I know. Hold on a minute. Let me explain. While not a 1" sensor and 20 megapixels, I do find that - under the right conditions - the images taken with the Mavic Pro to be quite nice. Very nice, actually. And the video is awesome as well.

I can fly my Mavic Pro almost without anyone paying very much attention to me/it. Whether it be in the neighborhood, at a park, or on a commercial endeavor. It's rather clandestine. Once up in the air, you'd never even know it was there most times.

The Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian on the other hand, is LOUD, draws attention, and definitely lets any onlookers know who's in charge. It's a beast. I can fire up the Mavic Pro and if anyone's around (neighbors, etc.) pretty much no one will even turn their head's. When I fire up the Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian, EVERYONE takes note.

Do I like the Mavic Pro more than my Phantom 4 Pro Obsidian? Of course not. They each serve a purpose. Just making an observation based upon my 'limited' flight times with these two birds and which one I seemingly regard as my 'go to'.

Reactions: Wildcatman
That's also how I feel. My Phantom is significantly louder, heavier, not as easy to set up and launch, and everyone stares when you launch it. I went to a park yesterday to demonstrate it, and a group of 5 mountain bikers, who were unloading their bikes and gear, all stopped what they were doing and just stared as I launched and flew off. The Mavic? I get a glance, if even.

I often fly my P4 at 400' in an attempt to not draw so much attention. I fly my MP at half that knowing most don't notice it zipping over, especially with the low noise props.

I used to be waiting for the Phantom 5, but if it is a similar size and weight, I'm firmly staying with the easier to transport and stealthy Mavic Pro line.

However, if I ever go 107 for commercial use, the Phantom line would still be my choice, especially due to it's ability to resist wind a little better.

I often fly my P4 at 400' in an attempt to not draw so much attention. I fly my MP at half that knowing most don't notice it zipping over, especially with the low noise props.

I used to be waiting for the Phantom 5, but if it is a similar size and weight, I'm firmly staying with the easier to transport and stealthy Mavic Pro line.

However, if I ever go 107 for commercial use, the Phantom line would still be my choice, especially due to it's ability to resist wind a little better.
I'm torn.

If the Mavic Pro 2 comes out with a 1" sensor at 20 megapixels (or better) and still maintains it's compactibility, I'm sold.

On the other hand, as a 107 license holder, I do know that commercial clients will want to see a Phantom 4 Pro (or better) show up to a job as opposed to seeing someone take out a Mavic Pro from a backpack. May not make sense. But the perception will be there.

Last edited:
Reactions: ftttu
Sounds similar to when I rode a 77 HD Sportster with 2" OD drag pipes & My 04 BMW R1150R now...

I'm torn.

On the other hand, as a 107 license holder, I do know that commercial clients will want to see a Phantom 4 Pro (or better) show up to a job as opposed to seeing someone take out a Mavic Pro from a backpack. May not make sense. But the perception will be there.

I started posting here in and around the time of the Phantom 4 release, and I remember close to that time, I was in a discussion about the same thing. However, I was more on the side of the faith a client would have if you showed up with an Inspire over a Phantom. At that time, the Phatom 4 Pro was a long way away, and even though I was happy with my camera's performance, I didn't think it was worthy for commercial use for mass viewing like on TV. Roof and other inspections, I could see, but again, I just didn't think a P4 was the best tool for the job. The P4Pro forward, I'd have no problem using them for mass viewer consumption.

I started posting here in and around the time of the Phantom 4 release, and I remember close to that time, I was in a discussion about the same thing. However, I was more on the side of the faith a client would have if you showed up with an Inspire over a Phantom. At that time, the Phatom 4 Pro was a long way away, and even though I was happy with my camera's performance, I didn't think it was worthy for commercial use for mass viewing like on TV. Roof and other inspections, I could see, but again, I just didn't think a P4 was the best tool for the job. The P4Pro forward, I'd have no problem using them for mass viewer consumption.
That's good to know.

You are not alone, I fly a P4 and a Mavic, I like the stability and the video quality of the P4, but yes it is noisy, so I fly it less often than the Mavic. No one notices when I fly the Mavic.
You have to work hard with the Mavic for video quality, but I find it is almost as good as the P4, and good enough for me.

Reactions: DocDiggler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.