Phantom on TV Show

Reaction score
It would appear from the promo for next week's ( April 23rd) Big Bang Theory television show, that Sheldon and company are attempting to fly a quad in their apartment. The quad is I believe, a DJI Phantom, with the Phantom Radio Control Unit. I suspect the actors are not actually flying the Phantom, but it is being controlled by a pilot off camera. (there are no prop guards on the Phantom).

You are probably right the Phantom is the poster child for quads . Most media uses the phantom mostly because it the most popular/known . Prop guards have pros and cons I personally do not use them I did give them a try with my first phantom so the pilot must not like them or fill comfortable with them :)

You are probably right the Phantom is the poster child for quads . Most media uses the phantom mostly because it the most popular/known . Prop guards have pros and cons I personally do not use them I did give them a try with my first phantom so the pilot must not like them or fill comfortable with them :)
what are the cons of using prop guards? thanks

what are the cons of using prop guards? thanks

I have removable prop guards on my P2V+:
  1. Pro: protects spinning blades from damage from impact with objects or ground
  2. Pro: Protects objects/people/animals from damage by spinning blades. Especially in confined areas.
  3. Con: Must fiddle with to prepare for flight and storage.
  4. Con: They will appear in the camera's frame of view on hard acceleration or strong wind when the front of the Phantom dips down.
All in all I use them but sometimes only on the rear blades.

More cons:
5. Con: impossible to transport in most cases/backpacks
6. Con: more "sail area," and therefore more susceptible to wind.
7. Con: possible contributor to Vortex Ring State.

Reactions: 750r
More cons:
+ 1
The last 2 are my biggest cons

More cons:
Also attract noma rays that could result in being redirected into the Apex of the cone of influence. Seen it happen....

Reactions: dirkclod
I have had my phantom drop due to vrs with prop guards. I don't use them anymore.
Also they add some small weight that is undesirable on birds with added features.

There was also a DJI Phantom sighting on an episode of Modern Family a while back.
Phil had one to use for real estate.

Was watching one of the Discovery Channel shows about traveling around the world looking for treasure. Cant remember the name of the show but the footage they took of SE Asia was amazing. Lots of Drone shots could even see the shadow of the drone in a few shots but didnt see what make.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31