Phantom Alternatives

Still a way to go... and gotta get the bugs out. LOL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnbeySPR0s[/youtube]

Sac D said:
Still a way to go... and gotta get the bugs out. LOL

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghnbeySPR0s[/youtube]
Nice! I got my third FPV flight in the other day when the wind finally slowed down to 10 mph in a month......Not really liking FPV yet.....loving the Honey Badger though I buried it pretty hard, even heard the thump from 100' away in a grass pasture and I broke 1 prop and one arm ($10) had it fixed and back up in 30 minutes. Not much time to fly thanks to constant windy conditions here, flew twice ( 3 batteries) in 3 weeks

https://vimeo.com/67463304

https://vimeo.com/66697478

For those wondering how the HobbyKing X-4 project turned out... it didn't. Not even my new NAZA Lite could save that pile of putrid fiberglass from flipping and flopping around as it continued to spin out of control. And it kept breaking so easily that all the patches I did to the struts and motor pods made it even more unbalanced over time. So I gave up. I got some DJI 30A Optos to replace those crappy ESCs I got from HK and moved everything else (NAZA, GPS, Turnigy motors) over to an F-450 frame and the result is spectacular! Today was my first chance to get out and try it in the real world, and it's awesome. I ran 5 batteries on it, and the thing is more solid and more fun than the Phantom. Next up will be the landing gear I am expecting in the mail, then maybe another GoPro 3W, so this one can have its own.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3a96phYa5tg[/youtube]

It's good to see that you managed to make a silk purse out of what was apparently a sow's ear! But... what do you mean when you say that the 450 is "more stable and more fun" than the Phantom? Please illuminate us.

That's awesome SacD. I wondered how that Hobby King frame would handle. now I know. ;)
It's cool that you're using the new Naza Lite, and that it works so well.
What kind of motors, and battery are you running on the FW450 ?

I got the Naza V-2 installed on the TBS Discovery that I'm building, but it's going to be a slow build, as funds are limited
right now.

GearLoose said:
It's good to see that you managed to make a silk purse out of what was apparently a sow's ear! But... what do you mean when you say that the 450 is "more stable and more fun" than the Phantom? Please illuminate us.

It holds position very solid, and doesn't seem to be bothered as much by the wind. Even though it is much heavier than a Phantom, having a lot more power makes a big difference. It is also very fast. I tried manual mode briefly, and wow that was amazing.

Audaciter said:
That's awesome SacD. I wondered how that Hobby King frame would handle. now I know. ;)
It's cool that you're using the new Naza Lite, and that it works so well.
What kind of motors, and battery are you running on the FW450 ?
I moved the Turnigy D2836/8 1100KV over from the X-4

I also invested in a set of DJI 30A Opto ESCs... plug and play, and super smooth.

So far I have just tested with Phantom-sized batteries, got a couple 3S 4000mAh 40Cs coming today or tomorrow. I'm holding off on jumping to 4S right away. I don't really need super extended flight times, and I was getting 8 or 9 minutes on the 3S 2200's.

Also, got a chance to test with both 10" and 8" props... both seemed fine. I've got some CF 10's that I will probably go with, didn't try 'em yet however. I don't think this bird really cares what props are on it!

Attachments

• D2217-8-1100.gif
    D2217-8-1100.gif
    127.1 KB · Views: 667
Also, got a chance to test with both 10" and 8" props... both seemed fine. I've got some CF 10's that I will probably go with, didn't try 'em yet however. I don't think this bird really cares what props are on it!

Those babies must look huge, compared to the Phantom motors ! 1100 rpm per volt = 12,210 rpm @ 11.1v.
with a 14.8v, 16,280 rpm. Compared to a 700 kv motor, 10,360 rpm @ 14.8v

You will definitely get better performance from the 8" props, If you keep the craft light.

Oh, you have to visit "genius drones dot com. They have a quad like the one you had, painted white, with DJI stickers,
for over $1,300.00. But they also charge $780.00 for a stock Phantom. :shock:

Audaciter said:
Oh, you have to visit "genius drones dot com. They have a quad like the one you had, painted white, with DJI stickers,
for over $1,300.00. But they also charge $780.00 for a stock Phantom. :shock:

Hahaha. What a joke! Mine looked that good until I started testing it in the real world. I wonder why they don't show a video of it flying...

The description is hilarious... "All-weather" flight. Yeah, try it in a hurricane.

I'll bet DJI would not be too happy to see their decals all over that pile 'o crap.

Landing gear arrived today!

So next: Futaba T8J

Then... gimbal?

(My poor Phantom is beginning to feel neglected!)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOhktBzynNw[/youtube]

Attachments

• P1190923.jpg
    P1190923.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 790
3DR Iris

http://store.3drobotics.com/products/iris

The new Iris from 3D Robotics is a compact, ready-to-fly, fully autonomous aerial vehicle designed specifically for the consumer market. Iris provides point-and-click mission planning with 127 configurable waypoints that can guide it from take-off to landing, all from your mobile device or computer. Sporting a stylish and sleek body that resists crash damage, Iris is designed with a wide angle between the front arms to provide a clear view for its on-board camera -- an optional GoPro Hero 3 ® can be included with the package to capture your favorite moments from the most unique angles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Iris includes an impressive list of features:
•Multiple control options provide redundancy and flexibility: RC, computer, phone, tablet
•Built-in data radio for real-time mission monitoring, data-logging, and control
•Powerful cross-platform ground station/mission planning and analysis software that runs on Windows, OS X and Linux, providing simple point-and-click programming and configuration
•Mobile apps allow intuitive “draw a path” mission-planning
•Picatinny rail mounting system integrated in the arms provides painless mounting for future accessories (stay tuned!)
•Camera options include a live video link with programmable on-screen-display, and will soon support a fully integrated stabilized camera gimbal with autopilot control
•GoPro® compatible camera mount
•Available with a 9-channel RC transmitter pre-programmed for the most popular flight modes.
•Pre-programmed GPS waypoints allow for professional-grade mission capabilities, such as: mapping, scripted cinematography, scientific research, and other applications where repeatable flight plans are required
•Robust arms and feet produced from Zytel Nylon® for the ultimate in wear, abrasion and impact resistance over a wide temperature range. They are easily and inexpensively replaced if required
•Auto takeoff and landing along with Return-To-Launchpoint command at the press of a button or under programmable failsafe conditions
•Follow Me function for the ultimate "selfies". In this mode, Iris will follow (at an adjustable distance) any ground station device equipped with a GPS antenna and one of our 3DR telemetry/control radios
•Geo Fencing provides a virtual box to keep your drone within a user-selectable space
•Failsafe programming options bring peace of mind in the event of lost control signal, GPS or low battery conditions
•External micro-USB port
•RGB LED for status and orientation
•Buzzer for audible status and warning messages
•Safety switch adds a second level of protection against inadvertent start-ups
•Open source flight code, ground station software and electronics are all freely distributed under standard open source licenses. This means that Iris' capabilities are always improving and expanding with a simple firmware update!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Specifications:
•Motor to motor dimension: 550mm
•Height: 100mm
•Weight (with battery): 1282 grams
•Average flight time: 9-14 minutes
•Standard battery: 11.1v 3.5Ah lithium polymer with XT-60 type connector, weight 262 grams
•Propellers: (2) 10 x 4.7 normal-rotation, (2) 10 x 4.7 reverse-rotation
•Motors: AC 2830, 850kv
•Telemetry/Control radios available in 915mHz or 433mHz
•Autopilot: Next generation 32-bit autopilot using a Cortex M4 processor
•uBlox GPS with integrated magnetometer

Pre-orders for Iris will begin shipping September 16th. These pre-ordered vehicles are intended for developer level users who are familiar and comfortable with operating multi-rotor vehicles from 3D Robotics. A full consumer release of the product will follow shortly thereafter.

These pre-ordered Iris vehicles are intended for developers and experienced operators who wish to participate in the development of this exciting product. While these vehicles will arrive fully operational and ready to fly out of the box, users should be prepared for small firmware updates and other minor enhancements in the field. Users of this product will be invited to participate in a stand-alone discussion group regarding the product, and will receive advanced support through our community.

Configure

Transmitter No Transmitter
FlySky FS-TH9x RC - $70.00
Spektrum DX8 8CH Transmitter with AR8000/TM1000 - $429.99 

Iris Telemetry Options Telemetry 915 Mhz (US) - $0.00
Telemetry 433 Mhz (EU) - $0.00

Extra battery pack No Extra battery pack
Extra battery pack (3s 3500mAh) - $35.00

GoPro No GoPro
GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition - $399.99

Iris extra propellers No Iris extra propellers
APC Propellers 10X47 Push-Pull Set (4 props total) - $16.00 

Iris extra arms No Iris extra arms
Black replacement arms (2x) - $48.00
Blue replacement arms (2x) - $48.00

Iris extra legs No Iris extra legs
Blue replacement legs (2x) - $20.00
Red replacement legs (2x) - $20.00
Black replacement legs (2x) - $20.00

Where does the GoPro camera go? It looks like it's basically an A.R. drone on steroids!

The legs are only an inch off the ground.

I'm a little suspicious of cad pictures that purport to have all these capabilities.

-Todd

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers