Phantom 4 pro cruise ship run

hi all,
A little video I made for my friend and his wife as they returned feom a cruise aboard the carnival pride on a very windy day!

Kevin

Your flight was performed inside of Baltimore Class B, Surface to 10,000 controlled airspace. If you did not know that, please educate yourself to the USA's Airspace rules. Try to understand that violations such as these, willful or not, will give the FAA momentum to impose Draconian rules on all of us. If you believe I am wrong in my determination of the Airspace status, or if you were flying there legally, I would welcome hearing what you have to say. To my knowledge, Recreational operations are not permitted in Class B, nor have there been any Authorizations or Waivers for Class B Surface under Part 107. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is the port the Carnival Pride is docking at? Not Long Beach I'm guessing? I throughly enjoyed the video, but windy? Not a whitecap in sight :)

Reactions: kminton327
Where is the port the Carnival Pride is docking at? Not Long Beach I'm guessing? I throughly enjoyed the video, but windy? Not a whitecap in sight :)

Flashbuddy, the ship docks at the Baltimore cruise ship terminal in south locust point. It's not very far from the bridge in the video,

Your flight was performed inside of Baltimore Class B, Surface to 10,000 controlled airspace. If you did not know that, please educate yourself to the USA's Airspace rules. Try to understand that violations such as these, willful or not, will give the FAA momentum to impose Draconian rules on all of us. If you believe I am wrong in my determination of the Airspace status, or if you were flying there legally, I would welcome hearing what you have to say. To my knowledge, Recreational operations are not permitted in Class B, nor have there been any Authorizations or Waivers for Class B Surface under Part 107. Please correct me if I am wrong.

It's not class b airspace there

It's not class b airspace there
Well, I respectfully disagree. By just looking at the video, I suspect you took off from the seawall area of Fort Armistead Park. There are no other logical, accessible locations for you to have launched from. You could have launched from a boat, but either way, you were inside of the Class B Surface Airspace when the video begins. As shown in your video, you then flew North-East with-in the Class B Surface Airspace to intersect the ship's course.
You followed, then flew around the ship, while it traveled on a North-Westerly course, South of Fort Carrol Lighthouse Island, (clearly visible in your video, North-East of your flight path), towards Francis Scott Key Bridge, (Interstate 695).
All airspace South & West of Fort Carrol Light House Island is with-in the Baltimore Class B Surface Airspace.
Truly, except for the approach from the South, (which was clearly in Class B Surface), you were dancing on the razors edge of B Surface & B bottom @ 1500 MSL.
Please see attached file with the arrow depicting your flight location.
Having said that, I have to be honest and say that I really liked the video! Very nice, really. Nice look & nice feel.

Attachments

• 100_1063.JPG
    100_1063.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 366
Well, I respectfully disagree. By just looking at the video, I suspect you took off from the seawall area of Fort Armistead Park. There are no other logical, accessible locations for you to have launched from. You could have launched from a boat, but either way, you were inside of the Class B Surface Airspace when the video begins. As shown in your video, you then flew North-East with-in the Class B Surface Airspace to intersect the ship's course.
You followed, then flew around the ship, while it traveled on a North-Westerly course, South of Fort Carrol Lighthouse Island, (clearly visible in your video, North-East of your flight path), towards Francis Scott Key Bridge, (Interstate 695).
All airspace South & West of Fort Carrol Light House Island is with-in the Baltimore Class B Surface Airspace.
Truly, except for the approach from the South, (which was clearly in Class B Surface), you were dancing on the razors edge of B Surface & B bottom @ 1500 MSL.
Please see attached file with the arrow depicting your flight location.
Having said that, I have to be honest and say that I really liked the video! Very nice, really. Nice look & nice feel.

That's odd, I see what you are saying!! I've flown both a p3p and a p4p down there and it has always said class D warning when I have taken off but according to your map it's within that zone. Thanks for the kind words though about the video!!

Reactions: phantomAlex
Maybe I don't know the area, but it appears the OP could have been outside of SFC B and below the bottom of the outer 100/15 ring. Close and exciting. I put a diagram on my Instagram - don't know how better to show it from my mobile :)
Instagram post by Flash Buddy • May 8, 2017 at 1:39am UTC

That's odd, I see what you are saying!! I've flown both a p3p and a p4p down there and it has always said class D warning when I have taken off but according to your map it's within that zone. Thanks for the kind words though about the video!!
I appreciate your kind words, too. I'm not trying to break anybody's chops, I just do not want to see any of us get in trouble, especially since some metropolitan Airspace can be quite complicated to decipher. I've been at it 40 years, so I have a pretty good handle on it. If you have any particular place you are interested in flying, shoot me a link or the coordinates and I will dope it out for you, just to be sure.
Actually, the cool thing about learning the airspace is, it often allows you to fly in places that appear to the unflyable at first glance.
I use www.VFRMAP.com
It lets you toggle between a Google Earth view, so you can pinpoint your intended flying place on a "real" map, and then toggle to the FAA Sectional to get the airspace information. I don't trust B4UFly or DJI's software. Use only an FAA Sectional or TCA, (Terminal Control Area), map.
Nice video, man. I mean it. Inspiring.

Maybe I don't know the area, but it appears the OP could have been outside of SFC B and below the bottom of the outer 100/15 ring. Close and exciting. I put a diagram on my Instagram - don't know how better to show it from my mobile :)
Instagram post by Flash Buddy • May 8, 2017 at 1:39am UTC
I know what your saying. But, you're showing him 1/2 to 3/4 mile North & East of his actual location. He was JUST inside the Class B Surface all the way. Running on the razor's edge!
Look at VFRMAP.com
It lets you toggle between a Google Earth view, so you can pinpoint your intended flying place on a "real" map, and then toggle to the FAA Sectional to get the airspace information.
Like I said, I was not trying to break his chops, airspace can be complicated and I don't want to see anybody get in trouble, (especially when they did not intend to break a rule). And, I love the video he shot. Honestly, it's the best I've seen so far on here.

I appreciate your kind words, too. I'm not trying to break anybody's chops, I just do not want to see any of us get in trouble, especially since some metropolitan Airspace can be quite complicated to decipher. I've been at it 40 years, so I have a pretty good handle on it. If you have any particular place you are interested in flying, shoot me a link or the coordinates and I will dope it out for you, just to be sure.
Actually, the cool thing about learning the airspace is, it often allows you to fly in places that appear to the unflyable at first glance.
I use www.VFRMAP.com
It lets you toggle between a Google Earth view, so you can pinpoint your intended flying place on a "real" map, and then toggle to the FAA Sectional to get the airspace information. I don't trust B4UFly or DJI's software. Use only an FAA Sectional or TCA, (Terminal Control Area), map.
Nice video, man. I mean it. Inspiring.
Thanks!! This video almost didn't happen, I was keeping track of the ship and it returned a few hours early so I zipped down there quick. My friend on board had his phone turned off so I had to rely on ship finder to know when the ship would be coming up the patapsco

Thanks!! This video almost didn't happen, I was keeping track of the ship and it returned a few hours early so I zipped down there quick. My friend on board had his phone turned off so I had to rely on ship finder to know when the ship would be coming up the patapsco
Wow. Good move. I mean it, truly beautiful camera work. The pullback at the end, as the ship heads for the bridge, is a world class parting shot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20