Phantom 4 for photogrammetry

Reaction score
Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a first drone as I have an interest in photogrammetry. I can pick up a standard phantom 4 relatively cheaply do you think this would be good for learning on or should I just bite the bullet and go for the pro version. Obviously the pro has a better camera etc but as I wouldn't be using it commercially and I just want to learn the ropes would the phantom 4 give good enough results .

P4 has been used for photogrammetry and mapping ever since it was released. I'd go for it, save money, and update your drone later, maybe when the P5 is released. The P4 has a very good 4K camera, and it has a wider angle of view than the P4P or P4A.

Hi guys, I am looking to purchase a first drone as I have an interest in photogrammetry. I can pick up a standard phantom 4 relatively cheaply do you think this would be good for learning on or should I just bite the bullet and go for the pro version. Obviously the pro has a better camera etc but as I wouldn't be using it commercially and I just want to learn the ropes would the phantom 4 give good enough results .
The 20MP camera on the P4 pro is superb for mapping and far ahead of the older 12MP camera on the earlier P4.
I wouldn't recommend using the P4 if you can get the P4 pro which is the most used mapping drone these days.
If you are wanting to fly photogrammetry missions, just avoid getting the P4 pro+ as you can't load mapping apps on its controller.

Reactions: doktorinjh
If you are just "testing the waters" with mapping, I think you would be fine with the Phantom 4 standard, especially if there is a good cost savings. I started with the standard, and upgraded to the P4P once I determined that I enjoyed aerial mapping and got clients that wanted the best mapping I could offer. No doubt, the P4P does do a better job, and it would be difficult to find a better mapping drone. But just starting out, the P4 will do you fine and provides good mapping. Whichever you chose, you should be happy. Mapping is pretty fun, and can be quite addicting. Have fun!

Reactions: vgo195
Thanks for the response I have now purchased a second hand P4. Looking forward to getting it in the air. I do a lot of GIS mapping as I work for a land developer so the idea of using a drone for up to date aerial imagery is quite interesting.

Me too bought a P4 standard for start about a year ago. Now I am looking for a P4P or P4A because of the better camera with mechanical shutter. The P4 will stay with me as back up since it does great job also. My only concern with P4 standard is if I should update the firmware or not. I am on old firmware and thinking to update now since my warranty expires in one month.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl