Phantom 4 Camera Footage Jerky?

Reaction score
Hello every one, My name's Tony and I'm very new to flying RC aircraft. I have a question that I hope an experienced pilot may be able to answer for me.

After purchasing my brand new Phantom 4 I was very excited and giddy when it arrived. I had heard, watched and read so much about it, I could hardly wait to get it airborne.

I did loads of you tubing and googling before I attempted to fly for the first time. In fact I'd had it about 4 weeks before I even unboxed it but when I did I was a bit giddy and now I'm hoping that someone can help.

I got everything ready. Battery fully charged, RC fully charged, DJI account opened, new iPad 4 mini with cellular, etc etc.

Now I went and switched on the drone and the camera went through it's calibration procedure. However I'd forgotten it was going to do this and stupidly I hadn't at this point removed the gimbal clamp so the camera couldn't move around to calibrate.

Fearing the worst, I have since taken it out and flown it in beginner mode and recorded a few minutes of footage. Now, when watching it back the video is playing back with jerky movements instead of a nice smooth pan.

Hard to explain but basically if you for example are using MS word and you hold down the space bar and watch the cursor you will see that it's movement along the line isn't a smooth line from left to right it's kinda doing tiny tiny bunny hops along. Well this is what my videos look like in play back.

My question is this. Have I possibly damaged the cameras internal gear cogs or whatever it is that tilts it up and down, or is it the camera settings? You see it still does it if I fly the drone left or right in which case I don't actually have to move the camera indivdually as the drone carries it along. If I have damaged the camera then so be it I'll buy a new one and pay the price for my stupidity, if not can someone explain the best settings, Shutter speeds etc that will eliminate this jerky issue.

I have seen some threads on here where people have said they've done the same thing as me without any consequences to camera operation. Some have even said they've done it a few times without problems. Maybe I've just been very unlucky then. Unless you know different. Thanks for reading.

Reactions: dirkclod
The most likely explanation if you're recording in 4k or 2.7k, and watching playback on your computer, is that the computer isn't powerful enough to handle it. If you think that could be the case, try recording something in 1080p and see how that plays back.
If the problem is only when you're panning, try and slow down your rate of pan. (Or increase your frame rate...if you're recording at 30fps, try 60fps and see if that helps.)

You're unlikely to have damaged anything, but make sure to take the clamp off in future!

The most likely explanation if you're recording in 4k or 2.7k, and watching playback on your computer, is that the computer isn't powerful enough to handle it. If you think that could be the case, try recording something in 1080p and see how that plays back.
If the problem is only when you're panning, try and slow down your rate of pan. (Or increase your frame rate...if you're recording at 30fps, try 60fps and see if that helps.)

You're unlikely to have damaged anything, but make sure to take the clamp off in future!

Hi Rockydog, Thanks very much for that advice. I must admit I don't know what the camera settings or shutter speeds are set at as I haven't gone into the camera menu yet. But I listen to what you're saying and as it happens i'm taking my phantom out this afternoon and will certainly try what you've said. Thank you very much. I'm glad you think that it's unlikely that I've damaged it. Feel a whole lot better now. Once again thank you very much for your help. :)

Welcome to the forum Tony .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)

Welcome to the forum Tony .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching .
This bunch here are the smartest you will find anywhere :)
Thank you dirkclod. I really do appreciate any help I can get from experienced pilots. It is something I want to get good enough at to eventually become commercial with my drone. Many thanks for your warm welcome.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hi Rockydog, Thanks very much for that advice. I must admit I don't know what the camera settings or shutter speeds are set at as I haven't gone into the camera menu yet. But I listen to what you're saying and as it happens i'm taking my phantom out this afternoon and will certainly try what you've said. Thank you very much. I'm glad you think that it's unlikely that I've damaged it. Feel a whole lot better now. Once again thank you very much for your help. :)

Hi again guys, can I be a pain in the butt again please. I don't know if I have a different DJI app version to every one else with a P4 but I do know that it has been upgraded to what I believe to be the latest version.

I want to adjust my camera settings and record in 1080p (just so that I know that I can really).

I've watched loads of videos on youtube and such and everyone else seems to have a MENU button at the top of the camera controls to the right of the screen of the app, just above the slider and the record button but I don't have one on my app as you can see from the picture I have uploaded. Is this something I have done or am I right in assuming it is actually missing for some reason?

Also, you know when you rotate the wheel on the left hand corner of the transmitter which rolls the camera up and down. Well when I use this function and get the camera to the angle I want it at it and take my finger off the wheel it carries on rolling until it is completely facing downwards towards the ground and the same when I srcoll it up again. It's just not stopping where I want it to. Any advice guys?

Thanks

Attachments

• 20170128_151906.jpg
    20170128_151906.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 377
I've watched loads of videos on youtube and such and everyone else seems to have a MENU button at the top of the camera controls to the right of the screen of the app, just above the slider and the record button but I don't have one on my app as you can see from the picture I have uploaded.
In the current version of DJI GO, the menu button is below the shutter button. Before clicking that button, click the toggle button above the shutter button to switch between photo/video mode. You'll see different settings in the menu depending on if you're in photo/video mode.

when I use this function and get the camera to the angle I want it at it and take my finger off the wheel it carries on rolling until it is completely facing downwards towards the ground and the same when I srcoll it up again. It's just not stopping where I want it to.
Decrease the value of the "Gimbal Settings" --> "Advanced Settings" --> "Gimbal Pitch Smoothness" setting in DJI GO. If that does not fix the problem, then try calibrating your remote controller in DJI GO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.