Phantom 4 Battery Issue

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have recently purchased a pre owned DJI Phantom 4 Drone, it came with 4 used batteries, 2 of which are fully charging, the other two are not charging, nor do they display the red hibernation indicator. When I checked the output voltage it measured 3.2v after 12 hours on charge voltage only increased to 3.7v
Is there any way to check this battery and hopefully recover, I would hate to trash this battery unless it was deemed to be dead.
Thanks in anticipation for any advice.
Regards,
John.

Hi there,
I have recently purchased a pre owned DJI Phantom 4 Drone, it came with 4 used batteries, 2 of which are fully charging, the other two are not charging, nor do they display the red hibernation indicator. When I checked the output voltage it measured 3.2v after 12 hours on charge voltage only increased to 3.7v
Is there any way to check this battery and hopefully recover, I would hate to trash this battery unless it was deemed to be dead.
Thanks in anticipation for any advice.
Regards,
John.
Hi John...! Lipo batteries work between 4.2 to 3.2 volts per Cell. If you say that the battery is charging 3.7 volts it could be considered good, however, it may have been previously discharged below the minimum voltage that would be 3.2 volts per cell and that has caused the battery to drain. block. since you comment that it charges very little after 12 hours put on the charger. From 3.2 to 3.7 is an increase in charge that can indicate that the battery or cell is good, I suggest continuing with the charge until it reaches 4 volts and see what happens. Do not forget that these batteries have a smart charging card, with protection against short circuits, overcharging, over temperature, but when the battery discharges below the minimum voltage, it is blocked, I do not know if that means that the battery does not turn on or if it It does not deliver voltage to its contacts, in which case, as far as I know, the only option would be to change the card for another, from another battery that is operational but not in use. I'm sorry I can't give you a better help. Lucky.!

Reactions: TontoFAC
Hi John...! Lipo batteries work between 4.2 to 3.2 volts per Cell. If you say that the battery is charging 3.7 volts it could be considered good, however, it may have been previously discharged below the minimum voltage that would be 3.2 volts per cell and that has caused the battery to drain. block. since you comment that it charges very little after 12 hours put on the charger. From 3.2 to 3.7 is an increase in charge that can indicate that the battery or cell is good, I suggest continuing with the charge until it reaches 4 volts and see what happens. Do not forget that these batteries have a smart charging card, with protection against short circuits, overcharging, over temperature, but when the battery discharges below the minimum voltage, it is blocked, I do not know if that means that the battery does not turn on or if it It does not deliver voltage to its contacts, in which case, as far as I know, the only option would be to change the card for another, from another battery that is operational but not in use. I'm sorry I can't give you a better help. Lucky.!
Thanks Jorge, your comments are much appreciated, I will continue to charge the battery in question until the 4 volts are achieved, we will then see if the battery comes to life, I will keep my fingers crossed.
Have a great Easter.
John.

What does the app show for individual cell voltages? If 1 or more is well below the others, don't use. Continued charging may result in swelling so keep a close watch.

Crikey.
Who has to go up 400 ft to test battery???
Go up 4 ft & hover for 20 minutes.
If that works out, repeat at 14 feet, etc.
My point was that, once a LiPo battery has been drained beyond it's minimum, even if you do manage to get them breathing again, for me, they're never the same again. I learned that flying electric RC planes and I believe over-draining can often irreparably damage them internally in some way that's not always immediately apparent.

Every time I thought a over-drained battery was OK, it would soon fail and always just a few minutes into a flight. I always tested them before using them and they would appear to be fine. But four to ten flights later the truth would come out. Fortunately, my greatly shortened flights left me with barely enough power to land if I did it quickly. A drone would have crashed.

Sorry to say but I would never put those batteries into the drone again, even if it makes over 3.7V.
Amen, bro. Any battery that isn't performing exactly like it did when it was new is trying to tell you something and you darn sure better listen. Only use weak flaky batteries if you no longer care what happens to your drone or if you crave the adrenalin rush that comes from a heart attack. While you're at it, try installing some cracked props to enhance the excitement.

"exactly like it did when it was new"

which is why some of us:
a. only use a new battery, once & done
b. only use a new drone, once & done
(we all live broke & under bridges, but our drones never crash)

What does the app show for individual cell voltages? If 1 or more is well below the others, don't use. Continued charging may result in swelling so keep a close watch.
Does the DJI GO4 app tell you what the individual cell voltages are?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers