Phantom 3 Automated flying / routes / waypoints?

Reaction score
So, the Phantom 3 is very close if not identical in much of its internals. Does this mean we will be able to do route planning and automated flying via waypoints, routes, etc.?

no. and in actuality it's quite different than the P2 in every aspect but the shell. it's actually closer to an Inspire than a Phantom, so whatever an Inspire can (or can't) do, it'll be pretty much the same for the P3.

it's actually closer to an Inspire than a Phantom, so whatever an Inspire can (or can't) do, it'll be pretty much the same for the P3.

So does this mean the P3 will have the same restrictions that I hear Inspire pilots have? Like not letting you fly if you don't have web access? Like not letting the motors even spin up if the 'web' determines you don't have the latest soft/firmware updates installed?

I read this in a discussion on a FaceBook page. If this is true, I'm not sure I want to wade into this. This sounds like too much control over me and my bird from DJI. Our older units are looking better all the time.

Just curious. I looked on the DJI website in their FAQ's about the P3 and found nothing addressing this. Anyone know anything about this?

So does this mean the P3 will have the same restrictions that I hear Inspire pilots have? Like not letting you fly if you don't have web access? Like not letting the motors even spin up if the 'web' determines you don't have the latest soft/firmware updates installed?
If that's part of the Pilot app itself, rather than the Inspire specifically, then I'd have to say yes.

I'm kinda torn on it, really; I think it's quite important to know that new firmware is available that might fix a condition in which the craft could fail. Safety should certainly be top priority. The less DJI crafts are involved in news stories, the better.

However, the increasing restrictions on flight is an unfortunate byproduct of DJI just being too big/well-known in the US and our fearful (and fear-inducing), kneejerking lawmakers and enforcement agencies.

Reactions: MrTommy
I read this in a discussion on a FaceBook page. If this is true, I'm not sure I want to wade into this. This sounds like too much control over me and my bird from DJI. Our older units are looking better all the time.
If you read it on Facebook it MUST be true !!
Older units look better? You need to read about the P3 a bit more.

So both inspire one and p3 does not come with a waypoints?
and can you install it with the data link?

No .. no-one is flying waypoints with the Inspire or the P3
When/if someone gets around to programming that with the SDK you will be able to.

I'm surprised the inspire one has been out for a while now. If someone created the waypoints app, and sold it for a few bucks, they would have a nice bit of pocket money!

All the cool features we want from our P3 will be available when 3rd party developers design an app to do it. The phantom 3 has the hardware to support it. Check out what I saw on the website.
image.jpg

So, the Phantom 3 is very close if not identical in much of its internals. Does this mean we will be able to do route planning and automated flying via waypoints, routes, etc.?

I asked their online sales webchat rep on dji.com if GS waypoint flying will be added in the future. She said yes but did not give me a timeline. She said it could be several months.

If you read it on Facebook it MUST be true !!
Older units look better? You need to read about the P3 a bit more.

I get the joke about "If you read it on FB, it MUST be true", but reading it there on the "DJI Owners Page" is the same as reading it here. Pilots talking about their experience.

My comment on the older units looking better has to do with the ability to fly without web access, not that the technology was better. Obviously the new P3 has some great new innovations - provided it all works as advertised. Time will tell. There's always bugs, and bugs get ironed out.

I HAVE read about the P3. And read, and read. Here, there, and everywhere I can find someone writing about it (and yes, even on Facebook - ha). However, there is some 'sketchiness' about this inability to fly unless you have access to the web so your bird can be checked for the latest software/firmware. My concern is STILL - if this web access is an absolute necessity to fly, then I'm out of the mix because of where I live and where I fly. And THIS is why I say my old P2V is looking better. Not that the technology is better, but that I can fly anywhere, anytime without access to the web. I'm not talking about flying near airports. I'm talking about flying - period.

Sorry if you missed the point of my original post.

You don't need access to the web in order to fly, its just for the map live view thats all. You can still fly the phantom 3 anywhere don't worry.

Reactions: MrTommy
However, there is some 'sketchiness' about this inability to fly unless you have access to the web so your bird can be checked for the latest software/firmware. My concern is STILL - if this web access is an absolute necessity to fly, then I'm out of the mix because of where I live and where I fly..
Do you think you're the only person to ever fly away from web access?
Do you think DJI designers can come up with the amazing P3 but would never think of that?
Do you really think they would make one of their best flying cameras only work where there is web access?
Sorry but I just can't see any logical thinking in that sort of reasoning.
Really ... get away from silly "facebook" rumours and get on with life.

Do you think you're the only person to ever fly away from web access?
No.
Do you think DJI designers can come up with the amazing P3 but would never think of that?
No.
Do you really think they would make one of their best flying cameras only work where there is web access?
Yes I do, if it's all about CYA. With all the bad press drones are getting I'm thinking DJI is trying to make sure they don't get sued - or worse. They want to make their products look to be as trouble free as possible, and unable to be used in ways that will cause trouble or threaten lives (flying near airports, over crowds, etc.).

Sorry but I just can't see any logical thinking in that sort of reasoning.
Really ... get away from silly "facebook" rumours and get on with life.

Currently, since none of us is actually in possession of the new P3, it's ALL pretty much rumor discussion.

Yes I do, if it's all about CYA. With all the bad press drones are getting I'm thinking DJI is trying to make sure they don't get sued - or worse. They want to make their products look to be as trouble free as possible, and unable to be used in ways that will cause trouble or threaten lives (flying near airports, over crowds, etc.)
Of course .. because if you have web access you'll never cause trouble or threaten lives (flying near airports, over crowds, etc It's obvious to me now.
And making sure that people can't fly their drones is their way to make sure they don't get sued.
That all makes perfect sense now!

Get real .. DJI aren't going to make what will be their best selling drone unable to operate away from internet access.
That would be more stupid than thinking they would or thinking that would somehow make things safer.

Of course .. because if you have web access you'll never cause trouble or threaten lives (flying near airports, over crowds, etc It's obvious to me now.
And making sure that people can't fly their drones is their way to make sure they don't get sued.
That all makes perfect sense now!

Get real .. DJI aren't going to make what will be their best selling drone unable to operate away from internet access.
That would be more stupid than thinking they would or thinking that would somehow make things safer.

You're right. I've been 'smartened up'.

SDK access is not currently enabled for the Inspire, but is definitely in the works, according to their SDK website. I'd imagine it would become available once it's available for the P3.

Wow even worser for inspire owners lol

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31