Phantom 1.1.1 with 18650 batteries

Reaction score
Hello to everyone!I would like to share my latest phantom 1.1.1 "mods".Maybe some of you would like to give them a try.My phantom is equipped with 9450 props a BGC gimbal a ts832 transmitter a N1 OSD and of course a camera(sj4000).The first one is about the BGC control board.I placed it inside to improve the appearence.The second one and the most important was to improve the flying time.I was flying until last week with multistar batteries 4000mah 3s.AUW was 1230gr and i was able to fly for 9-10 minutes but i wanted more time in the air, (like all of us).My solution to this was 18650 batteries, so i bought 6 Samsung INR 18650-35E (3500mah) to make a 3s2p pack (7000mah).The pack is placed permanently inside because of it's size.The new AUW is 1300gr.The results after 3 flights was as expected.19-20 minutes of flight.The cells in 19 minutes under load was 8.6v (2.86 per cell) and after landing 10.15 (3.38 per cell).The only problem is that if you try to get some height in the last minutes, it climbs like it's "dizzy" because of low voltage.The batteries after the flight's was warm but i forgot to measure the exact temperature.The space inside the phantom is limited as you know so it's impossible to fit 2 more batteries to make a 4s2p pack.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

Hello to everyone!I would like to share my latest phantom 1.1.1 "mods".Maybe some of you would like to give them a try.My phantom is equipped with 9450 props a BGC gimbal a ts832 transmitter a N1 OSD and of course a camera(sj4000).The first one is about the BGC control board.I placed it inside to improve the appearence.The second one and the most important was to improve the flying time.I was flying until last week with multistar batteries 4000mah 3s.AUW was 1230gr and i was able to fly for 9-10 minutes but i wanted more time in the air, (like all of us).My solution to this was 18650 batteries, so i bought 6 Samsung INR 18650-35E (3500mah) to make a 3s2p pack (7000mah).The pack is placed permanently inside because of it's size.The new AUW is 1300gr.The results after 3 flights was as expected.19-20 minutes of flight.The cells in 19 minutes under load was 8.6v (2.86 per cell) and after landing 10.15 (3.38 per cell).The only problem is that if you try to get some height in the last minutes, it climbs like it's "dizzy" because of low voltage.The batteries after the flight's was warm but i forgot to measure the exact temperature.The space inside the phantom is limited as you know so it's impossible to fit 2 more batteries to make a 4s2p pack. View attachment 93313 View attachment 93314 View attachment 93315 View attachment 93316 View attachment 93317 View attachment 93318

This looks pretty good. I was trying to find a solution to the battery issue also as I wanted a bigger battery than the 4000. I saw where you can fit a 5200 mah multistar in the battery compartment. It's a tight fit but I'm giving it a try to see how much more time I can get.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This looks pretty good. I was trying to find a solution to the battery issue also as I wanted a bigger battery than the 4000. I saw where you can fit a 5200 mah multistar in the battery compartment. It's a tight fit but I'm giving it a try to see how much more time I can get.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I think 5200 is the biggest lipo battery that someone can fit inside.It has the same weight as my ~7000mah 18650 pack so it would be interesting, if our phantom's have the same AUW, to compare the results!

You could always do the ms 4.0 inside and a 4.0 outside like us p2/3/4 distance flyers do.
Also Ive been testing on the p3 the Protek silicone graphine lihv's and they are only very slightly heavier than multistar, they seem to be performing better and are slightly smaller. Really promising so far, but real pricey

Hi I have a phantom 1.1.1 and I wanted to know how do you know how much battery is left if the bird is far away?? Is there a way to read it via an app??

I think 5200 is the biggest lipo battery that someone can fit inside.It has the same weight as my ~7000mah 18650 pack so it would be interesting, if our phantom's have the same AUW, to compare the results!
Did you modify the battery opening in the top as well as the sides?

Hi I have a phantom 1.1.1 and I wanted to know how do you know how much battery is left if the bird is far away?? Is there a way to read it via an app??
The only way is to use a 5.8ghz tx-rx and an osd like iosd, N1 osd or similar.But you can't see percentage or mah consumption.You can only see volt's, but in combine with the flying time from takeoff, you will be able to estimate your remaining power.

hqdefault.jpg

You can use your phone instead of a screen with an otg 5.8ghz receiver.

Eachine ROTG01 UVC OTG 5.8G 150CH Full Channel FPV Receiver For Android Mobile Phone Tablet Smartphone

Did you modify the battery opening in the top as well as the sides?
I haven't modify mine but as i can see from others it need's to be modified all around.

Some people were getting upwards of 28 minutes flight time with the battery. I would be happy with anything over 20 minutes. I have to find the 1/4 inch spacers used to elevate the main board but I'm not sure that would work for me I already have too much stuff inside to go reducing the space. Its worth checking though to get more flight time.

Some people were getting upwards of 28 minutes flight time with the battery. I would be happy with anything over 20 minutes. I have to find the 1/4 inch spacers used to elevate the main board but I'm not sure that would work for me I already have too much stuff inside to go reducing the space. Its worth checking though to get more flight time.

You need a transmitter for the drone and a receiver for the ground.You are reading the osd information (and you see the live video of course) from a screen that is connected to the receiver.

The osd is inserted between the naza and the gps.

109414.jpg

HTB13kwxJFXXXXXJXFXXq6xXFXXXD.jpg

1st solution for fpv
Screen with a build in 5.8 receiver and battery.So you only need to buy extra a 5.8ghz tx.
Eachine LCD5802S 5802 40CH Raceband 5.8G 7 Inch Diversity Receiver Monitor with Build-in Battery
Eachine TS5828L Micro 5.8G 600mW 40CH Mini FPV Transmitter with Digital Display For RC Drone

2nd solution
You can buy the otg 5.8ghz receiver and use your cellphone or tablet as a screen.
Eachine ROTG01 UVC OTG 5.8G 150CH Full Channel FPV Receiver For Android Mobile Phone Tablet Smartphone

And of course again the tx
Eachine TS5828L Micro 5.8G 600mW 40CH Mini FPV Transmitter with Digital Display For RC Drone

You also need better antennas.Something like that.
AOMWAY 5.8G 3dBi RP-SMA Male Four Lobe RHCP VTx/VRx FPV Antenna

You also need a gimbal if you want to get steady videos.A gopro style camera.I have the sj4000.
And an appropriate holder for your cell phone or the screen for the phantom's tx.
a249eb46-5aea-4916-bcc8-1a18aeedb829.jpeg

I think that's all!I hope you ve got the idea.Make the calculations and see if it's worth it. :)

Interesting.A lot of guys said they didn't notice any difference in flight time between 9450 and 9443.I guess i have to check it by myself. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.